Re: Interview of Adrian with www.phparch.com

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alan @ CIT
    • Nov 2004

If you do a search for "Powered by IP.Board" instead, it returns 480,000,000 results in Google UK. Oddly, if you do the same search at Google.com, it returned 73,000,000 results.

Comment

• Mike Anime
      • Oct 2004
      • 3.7.x

50K installs is that going back to the intial lounch of vB or since the launch of vB4 ?

Comment

• JamieinNH
        • May 2004
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Mike Anime
        50K installs is that going back to the intial lounch of vB or since the launch of vB4 ?
        Since the whole interview was talking about the beginning of vB back when James and John started it, I would guess that 50,000 is the total active licenses since the beginning.

Jamie

Comment

• feldon23
          • Nov 2001
          • 3.7.x

Cross-posting my comments here:

The impetus is on phparch for putting on a pointless interview with generic questions as if vBulletin were a hair salon or shopping company. None of the questions are specific to the product or even the forum product category. It's useless fluff. I know nothing more after reading the interview than when I started reading it. It's also very strange that phparch asked questions about who started the company, what the original goals were, and then ask nothing about how we got to the current state. These are clearly canned questions they ask of any company.

Also, if Wordpress is really vBulletin's true competition, then we're in deep kim-chi. The Blog is the weakest part of the vBulletin package and has gotten the least attention. Wordpress > vBulletin's blog in every way. When free software is kicking your butt... Anyway, if vBulletin really does not view IPS as their biggest competition, no wonder we're so far off track.

I don't hold vBulletin accountable for this interview, except maybe if they picked phparch to interview them. After seeing the questions, I would have rejected the interview altogether. Maybe vBFlames should interview vBulletin.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by JamieinNH
            Since the whole interview was talking about the beginning of vB back when James and John started it, I would guess that 50,000 is the total active licenses since the beginning.

Jamie
            This guess would be incorrect.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• crud2009
              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by LordWolf
              Not to be a smart aleck or anything, but I thought your biggest competitor would have been IPS, since they are closer to the same market that you are in than WordPress. Just a little confused on why you picked to mention WP.
              Why does this matter? You sir are a troll, from the IPS forums I might add, who is trying to add unneeded drama to the VB forums.

Comment

• sportsfi
                • Oct 2008
                • 3.8.x

The quick answer to this is that Adrian feels that is who IB's main competitor is and therefore answered the question that WordPress is their main competitor.

Comment

• LordWolf
                  • Apr 2010

Originally posted by crud2009
                  Why does this matter? You sir are a troll, from the IPS forums I might add, who is trying to add unneeded drama to the VB forums.
                  I'm not a troll, you are. I brought up a rather valid point that some others agreed with, including vB customers. If you don't like valid criticism, then that doesn't mean it's trolling. Please go away troll.

Comment

• socceronly
                    • Nov 2009
                    • 3.8.x

The other possibility is that blogging is a much bigger market than forums, and if they are moving into that area as they seem to be then yes, Wordpress is their biggest competitor.

It isn't about forum software anymore, it's about CMS/Community/Social stuff of which forums are a part.

Drupal I think would be the one to look out for. I don't see a forum being bolted into WP anytime soon, but Drupal could improve the forum substantially and quickly if they chose to, but for some reason they just ignore it.
                    Hmmm. Cheese.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...