Why don't you fix "go to new post" here on vb.com?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul M
    Former Lead Developer
    vB.Com & vB.Org
    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Loco.M
    my exact thoughts on this bug that's been annoying us for at least 10 days
    TBH, I barely notice that, its not in the same league.
    Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• Loco.M
      • Mar 2005
      • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Paul M
      TBH, I barely notice that, its not in the same league.
      really? it drives me nuts, maybe I should use a smaller screen
      and TBh I don't notice the go to new post link either, so I guess we're both use to the bugs..lol
      -- Web Developer for hire
      ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• Paul M
        Former Lead Developer
        vB.Com & vB.Org
        • Sep 2004

How do you read threads then ?

Like most people I use the GNP to take me to the position I have previously read up too, ATM it takes me to the top of the page, so I have to keep scrolling down to try an find the last post I read - time consuming, annoying, and guesswork in many cases. I have to read bits of every post and think, did i read that last time.

Your bug only affects the first and last post in a thread, only then if its a big enough post to use more than one line (for instance, the top post in this thread looks perfectly normal) - and even in the small % of affected posts, they are perfectly readable, just slightly more lines than they should. Beats me how that is really annoying. It may look a bit odd, but it has no real effect.

Comment

• Ryan Ashbrook
          • May 2003

Like most people I use the GNP to take me to the position I have previously read up too, ATM it takes me to the top of the page, so I have to keep scrolling down to try an find the last post I read - time consuming, annoying, and guesswork in many cases. I have to read bits of every post and think, did i read that last time.
          Clicking "View First Unread" in the top of the thread is a workaround. Still a bit annoying, but less annoying then scrolling through the entire page again.
          Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

• Lynne
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Ryan Ashbrook
            Clicking "View First Unread" in the top of the thread is a workaround. Still a bit annoying, but less annoying then scrolling through the entire page again.
            Oh wow.... thanks for the hint. I never noticed that button before.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
            vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
            Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
            If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• waynem
              • Dec 2009

While frustrating, if they start to selectively fix bugs here on the fly no matter how annoying they are, someone is going to demand they fix "their" bug, and someone else is going to demand they fix "their" bug. You can't do one without doing them all otherwise someone is likely to complain, so best to simply wait until the official fix has been released and update the site accordingly.

As we get further away from the launch version I think the # of annoying bugs will dwindle and this type of on demand bug fixing will become less urgent.

Comment

• AlexanderT
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by waynem
                As we get further away from the launch version I think the # of annoying bugs will dwindle ...
                You are aware of the fact that this particular bug (view first unread) was introduced with the latest "maintenance" build and wasn't present in earlier builds?

Comment

• waynem
                  • Dec 2009

I understand that they rushed to get out the 4.01 release because of many problems with the first release, and did not have the time to properly perform quality control. Not saying that is right or wrong, but with no reason to believe otherwise, put this down to a one time thing that hopefully they will have learned from.

Going forward they can more carefully schedule and release their maintenance versions with better testing to avoid creating more bugs while doing so.

Comment

• Paul M
                    Former Lead Developer
                    vB.Com & vB.Org
                    • Sep 2004

Since the site is now running 4.0.2, this is fixed.

Comment

• JamieinNH
                      • May 2004
                      • 3.8.x

Since the site is now running 4.0.2, this is fixed.
                      Better late than never...

Comment

• feldon23
                        • Nov 2001
                        • 3.7.x

Originally posted by waynem
                        While frustrating, if they start to selectively fix bugs here on the fly no matter how annoying they are, someone is going to demand they fix "their" bug, and someone else is going to demand they fix "their" bug. You can't do one without doing them all otherwise someone is likely to complain, so best to simply wait until the official fix has been released and update the site accordingly.
                        If someone wants a cosmetic bug like this fixed on their own forum, they can often find the information on how to fix the bug posted somewhere in the bug report itself. Folks have been pretty good about posting that info.

Over the last 8 years, there has been very little confusion about vBulletin.com running more recent code than the "official" version.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...