Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RS_Jelle
    • Jul 2005

Lots of "pending" issues

In the bugtracker, a lot of issues are marked as "Fixed (pending)", while they should be marked as "Fixed (closed)".
    For example: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/proje...?issueid=31053 (October, fixed in beta 4)

Because of this, the open issues count is higher than it should be. It would be nice to get a real (= lower) view of the actual bug count
    Minatica.be - Belgian/Dutch computer and technology site
    DownloadsII - Add a downloads database to your vB 4
  • RS_Jelle
    • Jul 2005

Bump

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
      vBulletin Support
      • Aug 2002
      • 5.7.X

If anyone has a bug that's marked as Fixed (Pending), can you check that you're happy that it's fixed in the current version (if applicatble) and petition for a status change to Fixed (Closed).
      Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
      - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• RS_Jelle
        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant
        If anyone has a bug that's marked as Fixed (Pending), can you check that you're happy that it's fixed in the current version (if applicatble) and petition for a status change to Fixed (Closed).
        So we need to petition every bug afterwards? Why not closing it and petitioning it if the fix isn't good? Those cases are more rare, so that's saving some time.

+ I think those "pending" fixes are still marked as open issues as the bug count is still growing (2,775 / 15,674). It's not going down when you mark an issue as pending, I think.

Comment

• cellarius
          • Aug 2005
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by RS_Jelle
          So we need to petition every bug afterwards? Why not closing it and petitioning it if the fix isn't good? Those cases are more rare, so that's saving some time.
          It is the safer way, actually. There's a double check in that system: A bug is only closed if a third person (ideally the one who reported the bug, or a member of QA) confirms that the bug is indeed fixed and no apparent other bug has been caused by the fix. I don't think a low bug count is a value in itself, I actually like the way they play it safe in that particular spot. If everybody did as Trevster suggested, this would probably a gread help for the devs/QA team, while at the same time it would not take a lot of time for the single bug reporter to confim the fix and petition the bug.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

Pending Issues are marked as addressed. However some status flags do not mark an issue as addressed including the following:
            Working as Designed
            Not a bug
            Browser Quirk
            System Bug
            and Duplicate

Considering there are 1729 issues marked as Duplicates, you can see where this is going.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Ryan Ashbrook
              • May 2003

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
              Pending Issues are marked as addressed. However some status flags do not mark an issue as addressed including the following:
              Working as Designed
              Not a bug
              Browser Quirk
              System Bug
              and Duplicate

Considering there are 1729 issues marked as Duplicates, you can see where this is going.
              Isn't it possible to change that, so if something is marked as a Duplicate it gets marked as addressed/closed?
              Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

• RS_Jelle
                • Jul 2005

Originally posted by cellarius
                It is the safer way, actually. There's a double check in that system: A bug is only closed if a third person (ideally the one who reported the bug, or a member of QA) confirms that the bug is indeed fixed and no apparent other bug has been caused by the fix. I don't think a low bug count is a value in itself, I actually like the way they play it safe in that particular spot. If everybody did as Trevster suggested, this would probably a gread help for the devs/QA team, while at the same time it would not take a lot of time for the single bug reporter to confim the fix and petition the bug.
                I can live with that, though it would be nice if they made an announcement or blog post about it. If we don't know about it, it's useless

But with the big feedback about the amount of bugs in vB4 gold, I think it should be a PR concern to get the bug count to an accurate level.

(Though, for the bug reporter it doesn't take a lot of time, but the devs/QA must handle all of those petitions. For them it would take a lot of time.)

Working as Designed
                Not a bug
                Browser Quirk
                System Bug
                and Duplicate

Like Ryan says, what's the purpose of not marking duplicates, non-bugs, ... as addressed?

Comment

• Ryan Ashbrook
                  • May 2003

Like Ryan says, what's the purpose of not marking duplicates, non-bugs, ... as addressed?
                  Please don't twist my words, I asked if it was possible to change. I wasn't questioning the purpose of Duplicates not being marked as addressed. There is a big difference.

I'm completely fine with it if it can't be changed (whether it's because PT simply can't do it, or whatever), just a simple suggestion.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Ryan Ashbrook
                    Isn't it possible to change that, so if something is marked as a Duplicate it gets marked as addressed/closed?
                    Yes. It can be changed. Anything can be changed as this isn't Skynet and it will bend to our will.

It is being looked at as there may be some sort of bug related to this.

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      • Aug 2000

(Though, for the bug reporter it doesn't take a lot of time, but the devs/QA must handle all of those petitions. For them it would take a lot of time.)
                      That is actually one of QA's roles is to handle these petitions.

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• RS_Jelle
                        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Ryan Ashbrook
                        Please don't twist my words, I asked if it was possible to change. I wasn't questioning the purpose of Duplicates not being marked as addressed. There is a big difference.

I'm completely fine with it if it can't be changed (whether it's because PT simply can't do it, or whatever), just a simple suggestion.
                        Sorry. I didn't meant anything special by quoting you

Yes. It can be changed. Anything can be changed as this isn't Skynet and it will bend to our will.

Thanks

That is actually one of QA's roles is to handle these petitions.
                        Nice to know
                        But this really needs an announcement or so. We didn't know about this new working method, so most people won't petition their issues from pending to closed.

Comment

• Ryan Ashbrook
                          • May 2003

Thanks!

Comment

• Ryan Ashbrook
                            • May 2003

Sorry. I didn't meant anything special by quoting you
                            Meh, apologies if I sounded rash. I was just in a mood, and I guess I failed at not showing it.

Comment

• Mike Anime
                              • Oct 2004
                              • 3.7.x

thats great a bug with the bug tracker.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...