X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Super Jinni
    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Floris
    Read the thread:
    You mean the answer for my question is: It's not an issue having all of these queries as Joe said? Or the answer is they will in the do something about it in the future -God knows when- but not know?

I'm just wondering what kind of issues that take the priority over the queries issue on CMS with knowing that will probably affect a lot of sites in a very bad way.

Comment

• Mike Anime
      • Oct 2004
      • 3.7.x

the CMS and forums HERE load quickley enough. true it could be faster but this site is a good test.

there are some sites listed in the beta forum some are small by our standards but have loads of content and load fast.

Q. why let us download 3.8.x with a 4.0 SUITE licence and not let us download 4.0 FORUM ONLY if we have the suite licence?

IIRC Wayne said it was to keep us from running the SUITE and Forum Only option at the same time (or something like that)

under that logic we should NOT have access to 3.8.x

EDIT here is the exact quote

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      If you upgraded a license to the Suite, then it should only show vBulletin 4.0 Publishing Suite and vBulletin 3.X download links for that license. If your license is a Forum license, it will only show the vBulletin 4.0 Forum and vBulletin 3.X download links for that license.

This is by design and a planned change. Otherwise there are people that will think they can install multiple copies off the same license.

EDIT 2 i have the suite licence so why let me download the 3.8 series with this logic?
      Last edited by Mike Anime; Wed 30 Dec '09, 2:34am.

Comment

• the geek
        • Jun 2003
        • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Mike Anime
        the CMS and forums HERE load quickley enough. true it could be faster but this site is a good test.
        IIRC, vB uses multiple servers. This is not a typical setup for the average customer, nor are vB using the CMS as their landing page.
        My Twitterings

Comment

• RadioErewan
          • Feb 2008
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by the geek
          IIRC, vB uses multiple servers. This is not a typical setup for the average customer, nor are vB using the CMS as their landing page.
          Even clicking vBulletin logo in header loads forum, not "Home". ]:->

Comment

• Super Jinni
            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by the geek
            Indeed.

Comment

• Grover
              • May 2001
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by CallieJo
              Thanks for responding. Much appreciated.

It was coming along nicely and could have really been great. No offense...it's not like it wasn't heading that way...but, missing features from previous versions is a killer for my end users.

1. I'll reserve further comment on the queries as others have discussed it in length here.
              2. This is sad. It's a missing feature that many communities utilize. It took years to get it. Now it's gone and we don't have a solid answer as to when it will be back. Just in one of the upcoming point releases. That could mean weeks or months. Not only is this missing, but customizing the blogs is missing too.
              3. Good to hear.
              4. I can't help but feel we went backwards when you look at 3.8 compared to 4.0 from an end users perspective. 3.8 has more end user features than 4.0 now. My major concern is how the end users will see this. You take away custom profiles and blogs...and give them what? End user friendliness and personalization is the most important for any social site. If you look in the suggestion forums you will see many requests geared toward just that.

If nothing else, it gives a bit of comfort to get a response.

The team, I commend. My concerns are directed at where VB is heading and where we are today with it.

There's no doubt that a roadmap outlining what IB's plans are for vb in the future, would certainly help. Not just "there's great things to come...let's jump for joy", but "here is a list of what is to come in their estimated time frames". And some security in knowing that end users usability will be thought of first and refactored from where we are now.
              Amen to every single line above.
              How much do you love XenForo?

Comment

• centris
                • Jun 2001
                • 3.8.x

Originally Posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                If you upgraded a license to the Suite, then it should only show vBulletin 4.0 Publishing Suite and vBulletin 3.X download links for that license. If your license is a Forum license, it will only show the vBulletin 4.0 Forum and vBulletin 3.X download links for that license.

This is by design and a planned change. Otherwise there are people that will think they can install multiple copies off the same license.

Where did Wayne post the comment in your post above about upgrading a vb3 licence?? The pieces are starting to fall into place here.

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
                  • Sep 2001

Centris: here you go

Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• centris
                    • Jun 2001
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
                    Thanks, just what I needed, the licence structure if fundamentally flawed, there is no such thing as an upgrade to vb4, anyone who bought vb4 suite discounted or not now has two licences, one for vb3 the other for vb4.

Doesn't my active license entitled me to upgrades to the product, until my license expires?
                    Your active, owned license and update service arrangement provide you with access to updates to the vBulletin 3.8 Software for the term of your update service period. Your owned license provides for your perpetual use of the software and does not expire: you may continue to use the software indefinitely. vBulletin 4.0 Forum Classic and 4.0 Publishing Suite are new and separate products and therefore, they are not an “update” to Version 3.8.
                    Vbulletin FAQ.

Comment

• Zachery
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • Jul 2002

You changed your license to a vBulletin 4 style license. You do not have two licenses.

Comment

• Mike Anime
                        • Oct 2004
                        • 3.7.x

if we only have vB 4 licences why do we have access to download 3.8.x then?

i mean if the worry was we would download and run both the 4.0 forum AND suite at the same time why not worry about us running 3.8 and 4.0 at the same time?

Comment

• Zachery
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • Jul 2002

You have access to use whichever version of the software we supply at this time that your license allows you to download. This hasn't changed.

Comment

• Mike Anime
                            • Oct 2004
                            • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Zachery
                            You have access to use whichever version of the software we supply at this time that your license allows you to download. This hasn't changed.
                            but we can NOT run one copy of 3.8 and 4.0 at the same time right?

Comment

• Zachery
                              Former vBulletin Support
                              • Jul 2002

Correct, the license still only allows one copy of vBulletin to be installed at a time.

Comment

• centris
                                • Jun 2001
                                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Zachery
                                Correct, the license still only allows one copy of vBulletin to be installed at a time.
                                Nonsense, the vb4 licence is totally different to vb3. A VB3 owned licence you can run for ever if you wish, the country of jurisdiction is UK, vb4 you can only run and get updates until vb5 is released, jurisdiction is the USA. By buying vb4 you in no way surrender your vb3 owned licence. They are two totally different products, two different licences. The one copy you refer to is one copy per licence.

Now I see what you are up to, http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...=1#post1880970

This is a change in the terms and conditions of the licence; my advice is that you do not agree to this. Forcing you to change terms to gain access to an update for vb3 which you are legally entitled to is illegal under UK contract law. A contract cannot be changed after the agreement has been entered into. Terms can be changed after the expiry of a contract, however, to deny access to updates unless you agree to transfer to another contract is a material breach.
                                Last edited by centris; Thu 31 Dec '09, 3:30pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...