When will vB use their own CMS for the their own site?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Teresa
    • Feb 2001

When will vB use their own CMS for the their own site?

When will vB use their own CMS for the their own site? Like vB actually uses their own forum software. I suppose at that point, the CMS will really be ready for a prime-time site and the big issues will have been resolved. So, I'm wondering if there are any plans for this or will the CMS component of vB continue to be a demo-only area? If it's on the roadmap, is there a time-frame or a release target for it? Thx.

• janaf
    • Dec 2009

They started, on a small scale, today: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/content.php

Comment

• Drocr
      • Feb 2008
      • 3.6.x

I hope that use it. I mean.. it is THEIR CMS.... why use something different? imo. :/
      If they don't use it they are basically saying they don't like their own product.

Comment

• RadioErewan
        • Feb 2008
        • 3.8.x

It could kill their servers! And no static pages.

Comment

• Teresa
          • Feb 2001

Originally posted by janaf
          They started, on a small scale, today: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/content.php
          I've no idea what you mean by this. I'm talking about the main site. About facing the same issues we--as customers--have on losing all of our links and much functionality by using the CMS as the home page, not just additional new content under the forum folder. I'd still like to know if and when this is on the roadmap.

Comment

• nforums
            Banned
            • Jun 2009
            • 3.8.x

I do believe they've said they have no use of the CMS for their front sales pages and that their current setup suites their needs perfectly for them.

Honestly, I'd rather them waste their time on coding and fixing bugs, than worrying about integration of their CMS there.

Comment

• janaf
              • Dec 2009

Hey, don't shoot the messenger!

I have no idea about their plans or timelines but I did see to day for the first time they have started using their own CMS. It's not just a demo area any more. There are a dozen articles, some blog entries, comments. That's all. Some demo material is still there even on the first page of the CMS.

On their old root site, the ammount of material is very minimal, essentially a few more or less static pages. It can't take many hours to move those, change links and do a redirect to the new pages if they want to and if the servers are up to it.

Yes, many users will have root directory problems and yes many will have server performance problems. There are plenty of threads on that.

Comment

• janaf
                • Dec 2009

I do believe they've said they have no use of the CMS for their front sales pages and that their current setup suites their needs perfectly for them.
                If it's so, I think they will quickly realizse how bad it would look if they did not use their own code.

Dog feeding can be powerful. Maybe the optimizing and performance issues would take a hike in the priority list

Comment

• Grover
                  • May 2001
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by nforums
                  Honestly, I'd rather them waste their time on coding and fixing bugs, than worrying about integration of their CMS there.
                  That is not the point I think. The point is this:

Originally posted by Teresa
                  I've no idea what you mean by this. I'm talking about the main site. About facing the same issues we--as customers--have on losing all of our links and much functionality by using the CMS as the home page, not just additional new content under the forum folder. I'd still like to know if and when this is on the roadmap.
                  When you look at Invision here: http://www.invisionpower.com/products/content/ , they state that:

We're running IP.Content!

We eat our own dog food! This website is powered by IP.Content entirely. And what's more, after the design phase was completed, building it in IP.Content took less than a day!
                  So they claim that their mainsite is completely powered by their own Content Management System. In the very first versions of vBulletin's CMS it wasn't even possible to publish articles that were not News-like articles, without authornames and without comments and all that kinds of 'News-articles'- look and feel. It is difficult for me to understand this, because that would be one of the very first things to think about when you plan/ functional design a CMS, wouldn't it? A lot of people will NOT need a News-articles site, that is obvious I think.

Gladly the developers listened:

Now, in the current state it is apparently not possible to create a page like this:

... and this is Teresa's point.
                  Last edited by Grover; Tue 22 Dec '09, 1:15am.
                  How much do you love XenForo?

Comment

• Riasat
                    • Aug 2006

Now, in the current state it is apparently not possible to create a page like this:
                    if not possible, this CMS is almost useless to most except news publishing sites.

Comment

• Teresa
                      • Feb 2001

Originally posted by Grover
                      ... and this is Teresa's point.
                      Exactly. Thank you.

Comment

• Steve_C
                        • Aug 2001

Anything is possible and I agree, it should be used... it should be the first thing you see when coming to vbulletin.com. IPB makes it work...

Comment

• Ryan Ashbrook
                          • May 2003

There is too much integration in the main site. It's running more than just static pages. We're talking full integration with all of their back office systems as well as the Members Only Area.

There's more to it than just moving over a few pages.
                          Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by janaf
                            If it's so, I think they will quickly realizse how bad it would look if they did not use their own code.
                            100% of our site is our own code. Right now we're working on getting documentation into the CMS. You'll see more over time including updated information from the original manual content as well as new tutorials and information.
                            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• WhatChaMissin
                              • Apr 2005
                              • 3.8.x

If the CMS that they created can't meet their own needs, what are the chances it will meet ours? This is why I'm sticking with my current solution and not enabling the CMS when I upgrade.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...