When will vB use their own CMS for the their own site?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ryan Ashbrook
    • May 2003

Originally posted by WhatChaMissin
    If the CMS that they created can't meet their own needs, what are the chances it will meet ours? This is why I'm sticking with my current solution and not enabling the CMS when I upgrade.
    It's not that it doesn't meet their needs, it's that they have important code pertaining to purchases and licensing that in intertwined throughout their main site code.

Like I said, there is a lot more on the main site than just a few static HTML pages. Creating static HTML pages in the CMS would be just the tip of the iceberg compared to the rest of the work that would be required to get it running at the same level is now.

And that's not including fixing the bugs in the existing CMS.
    Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

• WhatChaMissin
      • Apr 2005
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Ryan Ashbrook
      It's not that it doesn't meet their needs, it's that they have important code pertaining to purchases and licensing that in intertwined throughout their main site code.

Like I said, there is a lot more on the main site than just a few static HTML pages. Creating static HTML pages in the CMS would be just the tip of the iceberg compared to the rest of the work that would be required to get it running at the same level is now.

And that's not including fixing the bugs in the existing CMS.
      I think you just made my point...

When a product can not be used because it is unable to perform certain required functions, then for all intents and purposes it doesn't meet the needs of the user. Plain and Simple.

We all have different needs and requirements, but at the very least any release should be able to meet the some of the most basic ones right out the box and as it stands today the CMS does not for me.

I'm hoping that changes in the near future.

Comment

• Ryan Ashbrook
        • May 2003

I think you just made my point...

When a product can not be used because it is unable to perform certain required functions, then for all intents and purposes it doesn't meet the needs of the user. Plain and Simple.

We all have different needs and requirements, but at the very least any release should be able to meet the some of the most basic ones right out the box and as it stands today the CMS does not for me.

I'm hoping that changes in the near future.
        I think product purchasing, licensing, support tickets, product management, etc. etc. is outside of the scope of many CMS' that are running stock (therefore modules that have to be created for these specific functions don't count).

I'm talking about back office systems, that need to meet their specific needs, that keep the company running efficiently.

Comment

• WhatChaMissin
          • Apr 2005
          • 3.8.x

I think product purchasing, licensing, support tickets, product management, etc. etc. is outside of the scope of many CMS' that are running stock (therefore modules that have to be created for these specific functions don't count).
          Well said, all are good points.

But (IMHO) it doesn't exactly inspire any confidence when the creators/owners of VB can't get and/or don't have the CMS they are trying to sell to us as the main/home page to their own site. As it stands now I can't use it as the root for my site right out the box, something I've been able to do with all the other CMS/Portals I've tested over the years with different forum software. To me that's very basic. I shouldn't have to use an alternative method, it should reside in the root or at least offer that ability right from the outset.

Comment

• Ryan Ashbrook
            • May 2003

Well said, all are good points.

But (IMHO) it doesn't exactly inspire any confidence when the creators/owners of VB can't get and/or don't have the CMS they are trying to sell to us as the main/home page to their own site. As it stands now I can't use it as the root for my site right out the box, something I've been able to do with all the other CMS/Portals I've tested over the years with different forum software. To me that's very basic. I shouldn't have to use an alternative method, it should reside in the root or at least offer that ability right from the outset.
            Don't disagree with that, I'm just saying why they can't use it as their home page right now.

They are, however, using it for Articles. Which is a good sign, at the very least.

Comment

• Alwaysmefirst
              • Apr 2000
              • 3.8.x

Messy

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
              100% of our site is our own code. Right now we're working on getting documentation into the CMS. You'll see more over time including updated information from the original manual content as well as new tutorials and information.
              It was BEFORE releasing it that the manual should have been written.
              Also it is unacceptable to see "Copied from vb3 files, needs replaced before Gold" on top the vb4_readme.html! It has not even been updated.
              That's poor work to say the least.

Comment

• WhatChaMissin
                • Apr 2005
                • 3.8.x

Don't disagree with that, I'm just saying why they can't use it as their home page right now.

They are, however, using it for Articles. Which is a good sign, at the very least.
                I agree, it is a good sign and hopefully it's a sign of things to come. Having paid for the suite I am eager to use the CMS, but only when it's able to replace what I currently use.

Comment

• ericgtr
                  • Oct 2003

For me the CMS works best by simply porting some of the information from my forum to a front page to give my site a face, I don't think most would use it for a full on site. For those of us who have a site dedicated just to the message board the CMS is a welcome change.

Comment

• Ryan Ashbrook
                    • May 2003

Originally posted by ericgtr
                    I don't think most would use it for a full on site.
                    I could, actually.

My site is just going to be thousands of static pages, with the index being just news. All I need is a way to dynamically build those pages.

The reasons I won't use it are:

A) I can't define my own SEO URL's (I currently use /news/news-title-3/ as well as /game-name-here/section/).
                    B) The Query bug.
                    C) I can't afford it at the moment.
                    D) I have a lot of integration points with my network that need to be present, so my websites can interface with each other.

A and B shouldn't be a problem (but alas, they are, hopefully at least B will be fixed soon). C is my own problem, and I can't expect vBCMS to handle D.

Comment

• JamieinNH
                      • May 2004
                      • 3.8.x

When you vb.com run the Suite as their main site?

Now that Gold is here and supported, when will the vBulletin.com site be converted to run the suite instead of having the 'splash' page for the main site?

Given the power and dynamics of the new software, you guys should be running as your main site to show people what it can do.

I understand there are other systems that are connected to the vb.com site, but even now they aren't tied in with each other well, the customer login doesn't work together.. you have to go to one place to buy the script and another to download it.. So I know you can't get everything to run in the Suite to start with, but since it's Gold you guys should be willing to throw it on your site.

So, got an ETA on updating the main site to run the Suite?

Comment

• Green Cat
                        • May 2008
                        • 3.8.x

Honestly, do you prefer to spend time to make their site run the suite or rather fix the many bugs it has ?
                        I definitely would prefer the second option.

Comment

• JamieinNH
                          • May 2004
                          • 3.8.x

Oh, I agree with you 100% completely.. I have mentioned that in another thread where others seem to think I am being mean or bashing them for not focusing on bugs and issues vs fluff...

I may be wrong but I believe the people that actually work on this site are different than the ones that code VB? I thought I saw that somewhere in response to another question. Given that I would think they could upgrade their main site without interfering with the development of 4.0

Also, I believe it would answer a lot of questions people have with what can this script really do. Plus, any bugs would probably get fixed quicker since they are relying on their own script to run their site. An example would be I would bet the problems with IE6 would get addressed with 10% of their users couldn't use their site well..

It's a balance I will agree with you, but if you're proud of the script then why not run it? I do like VB and version 4.0 and I am by no means a 'basher' of them.. this move to their main site is just one that makes sense to me.

Comment

• Colin F
                            • May 2004

That's not planned for the near future. Not because we're not proud of the CMS, but because the current site works fine as it is, and we have a real long to-do list already.
                            Best Regards
                            Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• WhatChaMissin
                              • Apr 2005
                              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Colin F
                              That's not planned for the near future. Not because we're not proud of the CMS, but because the current site works fine as it is, and we have a real long to-do list already.
                              So vB doesn't plan on using its own product, that's interesting and insightful. Do you know if IB will use the CMS on any of their sites? Have they even upgraded to vB 4.0? Does anyone have links to their sites? For the most part I've only seen test boards and startups using the CMS, I would really like to see a mid to big board site using the CMS as their main page.

Comment

• RadioErewan
                                • Feb 2008
                                • 3.8.x

So vB doesn't plan on using its own product, that's interesting and insightful.
                                If it ain't broke, dont dix it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...