X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • express
    • Apr 2001
    • 3.6.x

Sorry guys I give up, I can not believe, well wait you both are moderators for VB right, Yes I can believe you are responding like this. This is BS and both of you know it , you don't come up out with a new major release like 2.0.2 and 2.2 then on the first version 2.0.2 hours later come out with version 2.0.3 and then with 2.2.0 days later come up with another upgrade 2.2.1

I know all about the programs Kevin like everyone else does. But this still does not make it right. You say bug fixes fine that is your word for it, I say beta testers is a better word for it.
    That is what we are starting to become.
    Real Web Host

Comment

• Tolitz
      • Dec 2000

So what do you suggest? For every bug found, Jelsoft should wait, compile them, and wait at least 5-6 months before they release a bugfix version?

With your thinking, then you are also implying that everyone who uses any kind of software is technically a beta tester.... users of Microsoft Windows and other software applications are basically beta testers, since these companies release bug fixes constantly... No software is devoid of bugs...
      Last edited by Tolitz; Fri 9 Nov '01, 11:29pm.
      OPEN TECH SUPPORT
      "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

• JamesUS
        • Aug 2000

As I have already said, you don't have to upgrade if you don't want to. I most likely won't be upgrading.....

If one of the bugs fixed is causing you a problem, then yes you do need to upgrade. Otherwise, then there's absolutely no reason (that I know of) to upgrade.

Comment

• Craig Armstrong
          • Feb 2001

If you don't want to go thru the "hassle" of upgrading, don't upgrade! vB's pretty stable now and unless you want the new features or if it's a serious bug fix, don't bother.

You can't expect anyone to release a bug free version of anything. If they waiting until it was completely bug free, nothing would ever be released.

Every peice of software is going to have new versions to upgrade. Weather it be for new features or a few bug fixes, it's going to happen. Even if it's in it's alpha, beta or a final stages. If vB was still in beta, there'd be plenty more version upgrades than there are right now!

Comment

• express
            • Apr 2001
            • 3.6.x

All I am saying is that before 2.0.3 and 2.2.0 a release was madw and then some time after a upgrade was released, You should not have software versions come out and then within hours a new uograde is out, I do agree that all software has bugs and that delevopers are always coming up with fixes for them, they call that I believe a patch, They do not most of time sale a product will all of the files included in it and then turn around and give those same files out to person to upgrade all over again . They give a patch file and tell the customer go to these files and either add.delete or change this part. Here you have to through all kinds of files and check them all, you shouldn't have to do that.

Tolitz
            So what do you suggest? For every bug found, Jelsoft should wait, compile them, and wait at least 5-6 months before they release a bugfix version?
            No I am not suggesting this, never did in my post above, I am saying you shouldn't have to be made to go through all of your files and templates to check. They should go ahead and supply customers with upgrades but at the same time they should also offer a set of files for customers that have already upgraded also not the entire packet.

Craig Armstrong

You try upgrading dozens and dozens of vb's and see how u feel about this.
            Real Web Host

Comment

• Craig Armstrong
              • Feb 2001

Originally posted by webhost
              You try upgrading dozens and dozens of vb's and see how u feel about this.
              If you don't want to upgrade dozens and dozens of vB's don't run dozens and dozens of vB's. You chose to run them. It's not Jelsoft's fault you don't want to upgrade them all.

All I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't complain about how Jelsoft runs their business. They do the best they can to develope an easily customizable, full featured, stable BBS. And I beleive they've done a great job at it. With a peice of software of this extent, upgrades are inevitable. New versions will always be released. People will have to upgrade (if they choose to). No matter what product you use. Even if it may be a pain in the ass.

Comment

• express
                • Apr 2001
                • 3.6.x

Craig Armstrong

Man you just don't get it, do you?
                Last edited by express; Sat 10 Nov '01, 3:05am.
                Real Web Host

Comment

• Craig Armstrong
                  • Feb 2001

Man you just don't get do you.
                  Appearently not.

Comment

• JamesUS
                    • Aug 2000

Please, keep this thread nice or I will have to close it.

Comment

• express
                      • Apr 2001
                      • 3.6.x

A Bug log can be found Here

and a patch log can be found Here

Now why can not Vb do something similar to this, instead of requiring us to upload the entire software package when upgrading. This would be for customers that have already installed 2.2.0 and now 1 week later have to upgrade again
                      Real Web Host

Comment

• Stasik
                        • Apr 2001

good idea

yes... something like manual upgrade will be cool

Comment

• Kaizen
                          • Aug 2001

A Bug log can be found Here

and a patch log can be found Here

Now why can not Vb do something similar to this, instead of requiring us to upload the entire software package when upgrading. This would be for customers that have already installed 2.2.0 and now 1 week later have to upgrade again

I think that would be a good idea.
                          Email: [email protected]
                          Site: Under Construction

Comment

• Steve Machol
                            Former Customer Support Manager
                            • Jul 2000

FWIW webhost I agree with you. It would be nice to have an upgrade kit containing only those files that changed. I'm not sure if that's feasible with the templates though, but it's certainly doable with the PHP files. However there may be a downside to this that I'm not aware of.
                            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                              Former vBulletin Developer
                              • May 2000
                              • 1.1.x

We ran a beta test period on this forum but ended it early due to the deafening cries that we want this version now. Some of the bugs only occur on php3 and none of them are major.

Can I ask what your major work is? As of now there is only one template change. What else would take work?

Replacing hacks? Ah but we don't take hacking into consideration when the need arrises to release a new version and you should understand that.

The vast majority of our users do not modify their forums and will have a better experience if they replace 2.2.0 with 2.2.1

You have no need to upgrade to 2.2.1 if you aren't having problems. If you post about having problems or submit a trouble ticket we will ask you to upgrade to 2.2.1 though so be prepared for that.

After 2.2.1 there will be no more releases until v3.0 unless a serious security issue arrises which we do not forsee. We are contracting with a security expert who goes over every line of source code to catch anything that the rest of us miss.

Comment