X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • express
    • Apr 2001
    • 3.6.x

Rumors of Version 2.2.1

I have heard rumors of a new upgrade for version 2.2.1 next week, and I posted the message below in the bugs forums. I know I shouldn't double post like this, but this if true upsets me a great deal and I am sure that it will upset alot of other members also.
    What will be the changes be in this upgrade. This is starting to sound like BS, the same thing happened with the 2.0.3 upgrade everyone upgraded then had to do it all over again becuase of I beieve a fix for sessions.php. Now we all upgrade some of which like mind was very difficult to do and took numerous hours to complete, now less then 2 weeks later I hear there is another upgrade possible.
    This is BS,Why not just come out with file with the changes in it and not the entire upgrade.
    VBulletin needs to rethink their upgrades or insure that bugs are worked out before they release it. We as members and owners of vbulletin pay for a stable product so why are we finding bugs when the a new upgrade for the product comes out, why is this not found and corrected before the release? By this not being done this is costing customers alot of manhours to upgrade and then upgrade again less then 2 weeks later. This is ridiculous.

If a upgrade is needed in such a short period of time then so be it, but for customers that have already upgraded to version 2.2.0 it would greatly be appreciated if a file was available for download with just the changes from version 2.2.0 to version 2.2.1 to ask a customer to go through a entire new upgrade comparing all files in templates again is not right.

Joey Moses
    Real Web Host
  • Pie'oh'pah
    • Jul 2001

Yo,

lucky me i haven't upgraded yet!! But I definately agree with Joey.
    At least for bugfixes, you should have the changes documented so that it wont be nessecary to completely re-hack the stuff.

- Alex
    I want to express my deepest compassion to all who have lost their loved ones in the latest terroristic attack

>> Nuke Bin Laden yourself here <<

Webmaster NÐE | Webmaster UA Forums | ArtworX ECL | Admin DiGL | Hosted at RWH | Portfolio

My Stylez
    Red Darkness | Velvet Night | Dreadful Cyan
    Goodiez
    Table bgcolor change on hover | Onlinestatus modifications | German Templates

\\\ ///
                                    (ô ô)
    -------------------ooO-(_)-Ooo-----------------

Comment

• mjames
      • Nov 2000
      • 3.8.x

I'm not going to say I buy into this speculation or not, but I just got done upgrading, reverting my templates, etc. and I wouldn't be happy if I would have to do it again so soon. I thought the reason a lot of the vB team ran their forums prior to the public release was to iron out any bugs, apparently, this isn't working very well.
      Marc James
      Sports Central — Beyond the Scores
      Sports Central Message Boards

Comment

• JamesUS
        • Aug 2000

If there is a 2.2.1, it will add no new features - just bug fixes. If you are affected by the bugs, then you have to upgrade. If not, then you don't need to worry about it.

I doubt there will be any (many?) template changes.

Comment

• express
          • Apr 2001
          • 3.6.x

James that is not what I am saying a total upgrade for bug fixes for people that have already upgraded is not right. That will be alot of work to go back and do this. What I am asking is to have a file for customers that have already upgrading showing them the area's that need to be changed. That will keep us from having to check every file again. This should be done for the customers. We upgraded and in good faith so we would expect some help from VBulletin on this. Believe your comment was that this upgrade was for only the people with bugs, Well if some versions of 2.2 have bugs and some don't then where is this posted and why were the customers not notified of this?
          Real Web Host

Comment

• Chen
            • Jun 2001

I'm not promising, 'cause I'm extremely busy lately, but I will try to come up with good diffs for the files after 2.2.1 is released, ok?
            (I won't do templates though, I also draw the line somewhere )
            Chen Avinadav
            Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

גם אני מאוכזב מסיקור תחרות לתור מוטור של NRG הרשת ע"י מעריב

Comment

• JamesUS
              • Aug 2000

The bug changes are in more than one file....we can't do a single upgrade file like that.

I didn't say some versions of 2.2.0 contain bugs and some don't. What I said was that if the bugs are causing you a problem, then you need to upgrade. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

We will do our best but we can't do individual diffs for each bug fix - though I would imagine you will be told what files have changed at the very least.

Comment

• express
                • Apr 2001
                • 3.6.x

Thanks Chen

JamesUS you have to admit this a pain in the butt for the customer this is 2 upgrades in a row this has happened, I thought we were out of the beta stages,
                Real Web Host

Comment

• JamesUS
                  • Aug 2000

I completely agree - remember it's a pain for us to upgrade as well

Comment

• Chen
                    • Jun 2001

Bear in mind that not all bugs can be discovered before the release, but also that most bugs are.
                    There is no software without bugs, and bugfixes releases are actually a very normal thing.
                    Chen Avinadav
                    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Comment

• Tolitz
                      • Dec 2000

If it's just a bugfix release, as long as you post which files/templates have been changed, I can always use beyond compare to update my files and the admin cp to update the templates...
                      OPEN TECH SUPPORT
                      "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

• Marco
                        • Nov 2000
                        • 3.8.x

It would be cool to have an upgrade ZIP, with only those files in it, that were changed from the 2.2.0 release. The way it goes now I'll just upload each and every PHP file just to make sure I get all the changes while I probably don't need to upload half of them. Heck, even Infopop provides upgrade zips

Comment

• express
                          • Apr 2001
                          • 3.6.x

There is no software without bugs, and bugfixes releases are actually a very normal thing.
                          I agree but a normal bug fix release is not 40 php files and 400 templates.
                          Real Web Host

Comment

• Chen
                            • Jun 2001

Originally posted by webhost
                            I agree but a normal bug fix release is not 40 php files and 400 templates.
                            Now you are just exaggerating, sorry.
                            Chen Avinadav

Comment

• tubedogg
                              • Feb 2001

(This is in the wrong forum, I'll move it)

Considering there is a list of changed templates with upgrades, your claim of 400 templates in the upgrade is a little ridiculous, don't you think? Would you rather wait till sometime next year and the next version for bug fixes? You seem like you've been lulled into believing that bug fix releases don't happen. Take for example Microsoft Money. Every time you open it, it checks for updates. Just because you don't see this happening usually (it's just down in the status bar) doesn't mean this isn't a bug-fix release. Use BeyondCompare or Araxis Merge to compare the changed PHP files and edit any templates. It does not take hours when there are little changes here and there.

Comment