Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RS_Jelle
    • Jul 2005

Forum support vs. ticket support

Are the vB.com forums still an official support channel? In the past, support staff answered systematically to all issues posted over here, but now some posts don't get any answer.

Are the support tickets now the only official support channel? Or are you filtering threads with the license state and only answering those of members with active licenses? Although I thought you need an active license to be able to post in the support forums?
    Minatica.be - Belgian/Dutch computer and technology site
    DownloadsII - Add a downloads database to your vB 4
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

The forums have never been the 'official' support channel. And no, we are not filtering any support related questions on the forums based on type of license. The simple fact is that support tickets always take a higher priority and we have had a lot of tickets over the last few weeks. That means there is less time available to check the forums right now.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• RS_Jelle
      • Jul 2005

Thanks for the clarification

Comment

• Floris
        • Dec 2001

Steve, I might have always misunderstood that - even when I was on the team - the forums in my eyes are an official support channel.

Even now when you buy a license it is advertised as a place to get support. If it's not official, please update this information everywhere?

Either I just completely misunderstand what you're saying, or my 10 licenses can only get official support when I pay for access to tickets.

Comment

• Steve Machol
          • Jul 2000

We have always stated that official support is via the ticket system. You should know that.

That does nto mean that we do not provide support on the forums. You should know that also.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Floris
            • Dec 2001

Yes I know both, but I have also always told people these are the official support forums.

Comment

• Super Cat
              • Jan 2005
              • 4.2.X

They're a support channel. It just isn't official. Tickets are looked at in the order they are received. The forum is answer when they are seen by staff. Right now staff don't have time to look for trouble. (forum) But if trouble finds them (ticket) Then they have to answer the call.
              Originally posted by Floris
              Steve, I might have always misunderstood that - even when I was on the team - the forums in my eyes are an official support channel.

Even now when you buy a license it is advertised as a place to get support. If it's not official, please update this information everywhere?

Either I just completely misunderstand what you're saying, or my 10 licenses can only get official support when I pay for access to tickets.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/693961/Scree...16.00%20PM.png

Comment

• Lynne
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Oct 2004

I think what Steve is trying to say is that if you post in these forums, you may get unofficial advise since anyone on these forums may reply. If a user wants someone from Staff to reply to their question, thus getting an 'official' answer, they need to put in a Support Ticket.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• RS_Jelle
                  • Jul 2005

Then it's probably best to make that clear at the purchase page. Now it's indeed confusing, and also the FAQ isn't saying anything about this.

Comment

• Yves R.
                    vBulletin QA
                    • Nov 2003
                    • 5.6.X

Or saying the Ticket System is the preferred support system instead of forums.

vBulletin QA - vBulletin Support French - Lead Project Tools developer

Next release? Soon(tm)

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      • Jul 2000

Nothing has changed. I'm confused as to why this is being made into an issue now.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• jmurrayhead
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                        Nothing has changed. I'm confused as to why this is being made into an issue now.
                        Because it is a confusing matter...especially with all the recent changes. One would think that the support forums provided by the company that sells the product would, in fact, be the 'official' support channel.
                        No...No...Meester vBulletin, he no work right.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                          • Jul 2000

Again, nothing has changed regarding this.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• dutchbb
                            • Nov 2003
                            • 3.8.x

In all the years as a customer here I almost always got support on the forums (I thought I paid for that) so I understand why it's confusing. I guess that's why it says 'free forum support' since it's not what you pay for, it's just 'unofficial support'. Anyways, as long as our issues get attention it's all good

Comment

• Nick
                              • Feb 2008
                              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                              Steve, you know that so many changes have been forced upon us that so many people are leery of any changes. IB is changing things faster than I can count to ten, so we never know what to expect.

...But that's a whole different issue. The point here now is that what we are used to vs. the comments made in this thread are conflicting and confusing.

So is it guaranteed that we will receive support on the forum? Or is it something like: "You will only get support on the forum if our staff has the time." ?
                              Regards,
                              Nick

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...