Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ryan Ashbrook
    • May 2003

Originally posted by PitchouneN64ngc
    The next time i discover an XSS issue, i think you can do without the knowlegde it exists until gold release....
    That's a very mature approach, allow boards to get hacked while you hold a grudge against Internet Brands.
    Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

• RS_Jelle
      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Ryan Ashbrook
      That's a very mature approach, allow boards to get hacked while you hold a grudge against Internet Brands.
      Well, as far as I know the XSS issue existed for more than two days after I reported it ...
      In fact, I'm not sure if it's fixed yet cause the search feature isn't working properly. Searching by date isn't working at the moment.

Of course, these are "only" the vB company forums, but some people are using the same passwords on their own sites etc. So don't say it's less critical.
      Minatica.be - Belgian/Dutch computer and technology site
      DownloadsII - Add a downloads database to your vB 4

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

I believe the bugs you reported as multiple duplicates should be at least marked duplicate now. If you reported a security issue we're ahndling it the same way as we used to.

Comment

• Ryan Ashbrook
          • May 2003

Originally posted by RS_Jelle
          Well, as far as I know the XSS issue existed for more than two days after I reported it ...
          In fact, I'm not sure if it's fixed yet cause the search feature isn't working properly. Searching by date isn't working at the moment.

Of course, these are "only" the vB company forums, but some people are using the same passwords on their own sites etc. So don't say it's less critical.
          At least it was reported, he's talking about not reporting them at all.
          Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

• Ace
            • Apr 2004
            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by PitchouneN64ngc
            The next time i discover an XSS issue, i think you can do without the knowlegde it exists until gold release....
            Yeah, I'm in the "if I find any issue, I'm not going to bother, because it's probably been reported in the Alpha/Beta tracker" camp, because I did waste my time reporting one. Paul M was good enough to let me know this. Members helping Members - yay.
            My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
            vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• rEd86
              • Jun 2006
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
              Your impression is wrong. There is a daily bug scrub with all Devs Monday through Friday. Bugs are gone through and prioritized. I am on those calls every day and know that they are going through these.

You do not see many of their comments because when they do add these they are usually in the private bug tracker for the Alpha/Beta testers group. Those bugs are not viewable by you. The things to watch for are any changes to the prioritization of bugs or the status. Any changes indicate these are, in fact, being addressed by the Devs.

Also we have at least twice as many Devs as we did previously.
              This confuses me - why continue to have two bug tracking systems? That's just creating a LOT more work for everyone. You're getting a lot of noise because things are likely being reported multiple times and those not in the private beta group are not getting the feedback to encourage us to continue reporting bugs. I'm sure the beta users are on one higher release than what's here on vBulletin.com, but there is still a lot that they are going to miss. (that's why you opened up the bug reporting to the general community, right?)

I understand and appreciate what you're going through right now and I am sure you've got to prioritize where you put your efforts. I guess we are not "feeling the love" in any efforts to help with the testing. If we should hold off on reporting bugs until we get closer to a gold release, just let us know.

Cheers!

--Ed

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

Do not hold off any bug reporting please.

Comment

• rEd86
                  • Jun 2006
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Zachery
                  Do not hold off any bug reporting please.
                  OK, as long as we're providing value. I guess I'm going to have to dig into the system a little more and see if I can figure out if I'm overlooking something since I am not seeing much staff activity/feedback in the public bug tracking system. (or just change my expectations and just keep beating things up)

Thanks again for the hard work.

--Ed

Comment

• Zachery
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Jul 2002

If they're being reported they are being looked into.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      Former Customer Support Manager
                      • Jul 2000

Originally posted by rEd86
                      This confuses me - why continue to have two bug tracking systems?
                      One bug trackere is available only to the Alpha/Beta testers and contains info that should not be shared publicly. Also no one ever said to hold off reporting bugs. Quite the opposite in fact.

This will be resolved when the Beta is released to all pre-sales customers.
                      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• rEd86
                        • Jun 2006
                        • 3.8.x

One bug tracker is available only to the Alpha/Beta testers and contains info that should not be shared publicly. Also no one ever said to hold off reporting bugs. Quite the opposite in fact.

This will be resolved when the Beta is released to all pre-sales customers.
                        I would think that you could segment what's viewable with security groups, but that's a non-issue since we'll all be on the same platform shortly.

While no one said to hold off on reporting bugs, we are also not getting any feedback on the bugs we are reporting. It's good to hear that everything is getting looked into that is getting reported, but it would be nicer to see the status change on the bugs that we are reporting. Even seeing a list of bugs that were resolved with each beta release would be beneficial.

We are all on the same team and want to see a great product. We're just trying to improve the process so we're all more efficient.

--Ed

Comment

• Steve Machol
                          Former Customer Support Manager
                          • Jul 2000

Honestly the Devs are not going to post a response to every bug report. Check the status of your bugs to see if there have been any changes. I assure you that Bug reports are being scrutinized every day via the daily bug scrub.
                          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• pank
                            • Mar 2001

My only suggestion regarding the bug tracker is this. If the person reading a bug post notices that the post may not contain a common search term maybe it should be added to the bug post to avoid duplicates and save the Dev's / bug checkers time.

Just an example: I saw a bug at the top of the what's going on box where the border on the left and right extended over the top of the box where it should not be. I did a search for what's going on and found no results so I posted the bug. It ended up being a duplicate bug report because the original post used WGO as an abbreviation and I never thought to search for that term.

Just an idea to help.
                            Bob- (pank)
                            pankpages.com / http://twitter.com/_pank

Comment

• RS_Jelle
                              • Jul 2005

Looking at the public bugtracker, we reached a new record: 1000+ open bugs.

At the moment I'm seeing a lot of status changes to confirmed (and the new "bug scrub"), but why are there so little status changes to fixed?

Getting a gold release before the end of this year, with all bugs fixed, seems to become more and more difficult. Although, this is not bad IMO. Personally I'm more interested in a QA release with all bugs fixed and some highly asked suggestions included (like custom CMS pages and a better search and asset manager GUI). If people want it faster, they can get the public beta's.
                              Minatica.be - Belgian/Dutch computer and technology site
                              DownloadsII - Add a downloads database to your vB 4

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                                • Aug 2000

Many of those open bugs will be duplicates. Some will not be high enough priority to prevent a final release and a number are actually suggestions which will probably get lower priority as well.
                                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...