Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RS_Jelle
    • Jul 2005

No devs at the bugtracker?

Why there are no developers (or other staff members) active at the bugtracker? There are a lot of duplicate bugs, fixed bugs which are still (un)confirmed (like this one, this one, this one, this one), ... I'm only seeing some help from Wayne Luke.

It's not very attractive to post any more bugs if you get no response.
    Minatica.be - Belgian/Dutch computer and technology site
    DownloadsII - Add a downloads database to your vB 4
  • RS_Jelle
    • Jul 2005

This bug is posted 6 times:
    Please remove 5 of those instances.

Two times:
    Three times:
    Six times:

Comment

• cellarius
      • Aug 2005
      • 3.8.x

You just gave a very good example why public betas can be problematic.

You won't see devs go thru there to clean up or delete duplicates, this is just too time consuming. Same goes for the expectation there would be an answer to every bug. Someone will go through the bugtracker and have a look at the bugs, then assign it a priority, then it'll get fixed. You won't see answers on simple bugs, they'll just get fixed. And that's all that's needed, IMHO.

Comment

• RS_Jelle
        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by cellarius
        You just gave a very good example why public betas can be problematic.

You won't see devs go thru there to clean up or delete duplicates, this is just too time consuming. Same goes for the expectation there would be an answer to every bug. Someone will go through the bugtracker and have a look at the bugs, then assign it a priority, then it'll get fixed. You won't see answers on simple bugs, they'll just get fixed. And that's all that's needed, IMHO.
        Good enough for me also, but marking them fixed would be a minimum. That's a one click job. Doing it afterwards is even more time consuming.
        Also, other staff members could help cleaning it up like Wayne does. Deleting the wrongly posted ones, like in my second post, etc.

If devs could see which bugs are fixed and which are open, that's helping them also. Checking it twice is more time consuming.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

It will be gotten handled as soon as possible. You will usually find a lot of bugs cleared out on Mondays.

We also have two bug trackers running right now. One public one and one for the alpha/beta testers. The developers and designers currently have 50 high priority issues to handle in the Alpha/Beta queue. While not all of these are actually bugs, they are considered important enough for them to focus their time on. We'll get to them but don't be surprised if they are marked duplicate or fixed(pending)
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• smiggy
            • Jul 2007
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
            It will be gotten handled as soon as possible. You will usually find a lot of bugs cleared out on Mondays.

We also have two bug trackers running right now. One public one and one for the alpha/beta testers. The developers and designers currently have 50 high priority issues to handle in the Alpha/Beta queue. While not all of these are actually bugs, they are considered important enough for them to focus their time on. We'll get to them but don't be surprised if they are marked duplicate or fixed(pending)
            Wayne, what about the 3.8.5 bug tracker?

Comment

• cellarius
              • Aug 2005
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by smiggy
              Wayne, what about the 3.8.5 bug tracker?
              What do you mean by 3.8.5 bugtracker?

I'm not sure what you mean, so my answer is based on what I guess you mean

There's no seperate bugtracker for 3.8.x series and 4. There never were different instances of PT for different versions. You add the affected version when entering the bug, so you would enter 3.8.x bugs just the same.

Comment

• Ryan Ashbrook
                • May 2003

Originally posted by cellarius
                What do you mean by 3.8.5 bugtracker?

I'm not sure what you mean, so my answer is based on what I guess you mean

There's no seperate bugtracker for 3.8.x series and 4. There never were different instances of PT for different versions. You add the affected version when entering the bug, so you would enter 3.8.x bugs just the same.
                Pretty sure they just meant to ask what was going on with 3.8.5. (Something I'm wondering too).
                Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

• smiggy
                  • Jul 2007
                  • 3.8.x

Yeah what he said.

Sorry about the confusion.

Comment

• RS_Jelle
                    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Wayne Luke

Any more news on bugtracking? As the CMS demo is available, I guess this is the first priority now.

Comment

• Yves R.
                      vBulletin QA
                      • Nov 2003
                      • 5.6.X

Since the former vB devs left, there is NO dev replying or changing issues.

Before, Mike came all days and replied to all bugs, no there is no one.

With that way, users who see there is no follow on bug reports could spread any bad appreciation to you to everyone.

Please find the time quickly to fix and reply to all issues. Or enroll more staff. It was ok with 4-5 devs previously, why it should not be the same with more devs?

vBulletin QA - vBulletin Support French - Lead Project Tools developer

Next release? Soon(tm)

Comment

• Steve Machol
                        Former Customer Support Manager
                        • Jul 2000

Your impression is wrong. There is a daily bug scrub with all Devs Monday through Friday. Bugs are gone through and prioritized. I am on those calls every day and know that they are going through these.

You do not see many of their comments because when they do add these they are usually in the private bug tracker for the Alpha/Beta testers group. Those bugs are not viewable by you. The things to watch for are any changes to the prioritization of bugs or the status. Any changes indicate these are, in fact, being addressed by the Devs.

Also we have at least twice as many Devs as we did previously.
                        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Yves R.
                          vBulletin QA
                          • Nov 2003
                          • 5.6.X

Do you think this is easy for evey one to report bugs we can saw here with the non-ability to see what it was reported in private projects? 90-95% of reported bugs are duplicate!

The next time i discover an XSS issue, i think you can do without the knowlegde it exists until gold release....

vBulletin QA - vBulletin Support French - Lead Project Tools developer

Next release? Soon(tm)

Comment

• smiggy
                            • Jul 2007
                            • 3.8.x

I also think it is about time we all found out what's going on with the 3.x bug tracker.

Comment

• RS_Jelle
                              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by PitchouneN64ngc
                              Do you think this is easy for evey one to report bugs we can saw here with the non-ability to see what it was reported in private projects? 90-95% of reported bugs are duplicate!

The next time i discover an XSS issue, i think you can do without the knowlegde it exists until gold release....
                              I've got the same feeling
                              I also reported an XSS issue, got a "Thank you for this report. We are investigating this." message back and that was it. They didn't reply any more.

Even the bugs I mentioned in my second post in this thread aren't cleaned up. People just posted 6 times the same bug report because of the server issues when launching the beta on vB.com. Nobody cleaned it up. You don't need developers for that. Moderators can take care of that. In fact, that's saving the precious time of your developers.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...