X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reeve of Shinra
    • Sep 2001

VAT / Tax issue?

If I read correctly, the licenses bieng sold today are under vb solutions (a US based company), not Jelsoft LTD (a uk based company).

If that is correct, then I think you are incorrectly charging VAT to UK customers.

Can you clarify?

Thanks
    Plan, Do, Check, Act!
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

There is no VAT being charged in the new shopping cart unless you purchase from vBulletin-Germany.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
      • Sep 2001

Thanks, when I was checking the upgrade options the other day I thought saw the vat notice but it appears I mustve been mistaken. Thank you for clarifying
      Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
        • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
        There is no VAT being charged in the new shopping cart unless you purchase from vBulletin-Germany.
        I wanted to bump this as it seems VAT is now being charged again to EU customers.

Is Jelsoft LTD (a UK company) the company under which we are purchasing the licenses under or is it still VB Solutions, INC -- a US owned and operated company?
        Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• smackLAN
          • Mar 2005
          • 3.8.x

Good question as this also brings back up the legality of vBS changing the terms of the license agreements too.
          RazorThemes ~ Cutting Edge Designs

Comment

• Colin F
            • May 2004

We're still selling vBulletin from the US. From what I understand, EU law requires us to charge VAT when we sell to customers in the EU. They require this so as not to disadvantage EU companies.
            Best Regards
            Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• Steve Machol
              Former Customer Support Manager
              • Jul 2000

I posted this elsewhere, but to clarify some questions that have been posted about the addition of VAT to our prices for EU customers. We made a change to begin charging VAT due to some legal changes that were made within the EU at the start of 2010. These changes effect companies that retail a certain volume of products over the Internet into the EU market, recently vBulletin crossed that "volume threshold", and subsequently is now placed in a position whereby we must add these charges to EU customers. We understand these legal changes were made at the request of EU based companies to remove what was perceived to be an "unfair competitive advantage" for companies that were based outside of the EU.

As part of our responsibility to collect VAT, our application for a VAT ID # is in progress, and as soon as the EU have furnished us with such an ID number, we will publish it for your taxation purposes. Unfortunately the lack of such an ID # does not absolve us of the responsibility to collect VAT. I hope this helps answers any questions regarding this issue now.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Shamil.
                • Feb 2008
                • 4.2.X

Steve, I have to inform you and refer to the HMRC guidelines which explicitly absolve your responsibility to collect tax:

How to register for VAT, change your details, cancel your registration, register for VAT in EU countries.

Invoicing in the meantime

Until you receive your VAT registration number you must not charge VAT, or show VAT as a separate item on your invoices. To make sure that you do not lose income in the period after you applied for VAT registration but before you receive your VAT registration number, you should increase your prices by an amount equivalent to the VAT rate relevant for your goods or services, and explain to your customers why you are doing so.
                Once you receive your VAT registration number you can then reissue those invoices, amended to show your VAT registration number and the VAT charged. This will ensure that your VAT-registered customers can reclaim the VAT that they have paid.
                I will be calling the HMRC office tomorrow to confirm this.
                Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
                VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
                vBulletin Hosting and Services
                Server / Website Consultation

Comment

• AlexanderT
                  • Mar 2003

Steve, this has been discussed in another thread and I am surprised you are still claiming that it's "your responsibility to collect VAT" even without a VAT ID. See above post for more.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    Former Customer Support Manager
                    • Jul 2000

Actually this is being looked at by the lawyers. Apparently it is a lot more complicated than originally thought. Adrian will post an update once this is all sorted. As for me, I'm not going to say anything further about this.
                    Last edited by Steve Machol; Fri 23 Jul '10, 1:12pm.
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Shamil.
                      • Feb 2008
                      • 4.2.X

Thanks Steve, although, we do expect an apology for the confusion

Comment

• Boofo
                        • Apr 2002
                        • 4.1.x

I don't think Steve owes anyone an apology as he can only deal with the info that is given him.
                        vBulletin - Sometimes, I'm just like, Wow, and then I'm like, Whoa, and then I'm like, Damn.

vBulletin.org's ol' Moderator

I have a lifetime terrorist hunting permit - #091101

chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

Comment

• Shamil.
                          • Feb 2008
                          • 4.2.X

No definitely not from Steve, but from the company itself.

Comment

• Boofo
                            • Apr 2002
                            • 4.1.x

Originally posted by deuterium
                            No definitely not from Steve, but from the company itself.
                            Good luck with that.
                            vBulletin - Sometimes, I'm just like, Wow, and then I'm like, Whoa, and then I'm like, Damn.

vBulletin.org's ol' Moderator

I have a lifetime terrorist hunting permit - #091101

chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

Comment

• Shamil.
                              • Feb 2008
                              • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Boofo
                              Good luck with that.
                              I know, I know :/

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...