Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SNN
    • Jul 2006

Re: Pre-order announcement

Well, I'd like to ask a few questions based on the newest announcement about 4.x;

1. What happens if we already have purchased vBulletin Blog, and/or vBulletin Project Tools? Do we get an upgrade for free?

If not, what happens to the vBulletin Blog license?

What if we purchased Project Tools only, and no license?
    2. If we have a current (12-month license) that's owned, and we decide to upgrade for free (on just the forum basis) what happens to our license? Does it get that 4.x all releases free? Or is that only if you purchase a new license?

My current licenses are: 1.vB(pt/blog) 2.vB(pt)

Just curious as of where this stands. Thanks.

PS: Yes, I have read the FAQ, but sometimes on FAQs, those are not always the definite answers.
  • Jerz
    • Apr 2007
    • 3.8.x

I have an expired owned license w/ the blog addon. The only upgrade option I have available is to upgrade to the suite for $250. That is absolutely ridiculous. To purchase a new suite license, it's $235. Even if it were not on sale, I'd only be saving $25.

First, expired license upgrades should be discounted too, not as much as active licenses, but discounted nonetheless. Second, if you have the blog addon already, you should at least be discounted further. Third, I feel I should be able to downgrade to the forum-only license, but that option is not available.

While we were told that keeping licenses renewed would be for the best, we were given no time-frame to renew. I suppose that is somewhat my fault for not renewing, but I had figured that we'd have until the release of 4.0. Since it's not even in beta yet, I thought I had time.

I have read through the FAQ. It says that because of better integration and combined development schedules, those who already have the blog will have to pay full price for the upgrade. It says that if you failed to renew, tough sh*t. I expect no better answers here, but imo this is BS. I will not be renewing my license or purchasing a new one in the future.

Comment

• Black Tiger
      • Mar 2001

At some places I read that upgrading from 3.8.x to vb 4.0 forum only is free and on another place I read upgrading within 4.x is free, so from 4.x until the last 4.x update is free, on the pre-order it costs me $195 for a new license.

There is a lack of -good- communication, which is complaint about before and things did not turn out for the better.
      Different info is placed and it's not clear who gets what on the forum only option, because of the different information.

This makes things also unclear:

For the remainder of your active license, you will continue to receive support and have access to forum software updates, including vBulletin 4.0 Forums. Once your license expires you will only be able to access the 4 Series software updates by switching to the new one-time owned license. For more information, visit the vBulletin FAQ.
      Great communication again. Not.
      Greetings, Black Tiger

Comment

• Black Tiger
        • Mar 2001

Never mind, I had to read it several times but found the answer.
        Sneaky... you let forum only customers pay more then people who upgrade to the Suite...

$195 against $130... not very nice.
        Greetings, Black Tiger

Comment

• Floris
          • Dec 2001

As per announcement is sounds to me that if you have one or more addons and an active owned license, you pay $250-$120 discount.

So my 10 active owned x $40 renewal of $400 is now $1260 And then again with version 5.

and then i read:

So it is free upgrade.

But the members' area says upgrade options: none, upgrade to vb4 package.

I am getting conflicting info. So nobody's getting any money.
          Last edited by Floris; Tue 13 Oct '09, 5:35pm.

Comment

• aussiefooty
            • Nov 2008
            • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Jerz
            I have an expired owned license w/ the blog addon. The only upgrade option I have available is to upgrade to the suite for $250. That is absolutely ridiculous. To purchase a new suite license, it's $235. Even if it were not on sale, I'd only be saving $25.

First, expired license upgrades should be discounted too, not as much as active licenses, but discounted nonetheless. Second, if you have the blog addon already, you should at least be discounted further. Third, I feel I should be able to downgrade to the forum-only license, but that option is not available.

While we were told that keeping licenses renewed would be for the best, we were given no time-frame to renew. I suppose that is somewhat my fault for not renewing, but I had figured that we'd have until the release of 4.0. Since it's not even in beta yet, I thought I had time.

I have read through the FAQ. It says that because of better integration and combined development schedules, those who already have the blog will have to pay full price for the upgrade. It says that if you failed to renew, tough sh*t. I expect no better answers here, but imo this is BS. I will not be renewing my license or purchasing a new one in the future.
            Upgrade your license then upgrade your forum. You would only want the forum only because you have already got the blog.
            Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
            Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

• Jerz
              • Apr 2007
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by schwab2clarkson
              Upgrade your license then upgrade your forum. You would only want the forum only because you have already got the blog.
              Uh. As usual you don't understand. I'm not sure if you just post to increase your post count, or what. As an existing customer with an inactive owned license and blog, I must pay to upgrade it to the suite. That is the only option I'm given. To upgrade to the suite is more expensive than a new suite license when the discount is included.

Comment

• SNN
                • Jul 2006

I personally would love a response from Jelsoft staff.

Comment

• Black Tiger
                  • Mar 2001

@Floris: Your 10x 40 will be now 10x130=1300 if you want the Suite.

Suppose we have a v5 in 5 years.
                  Old situation: 10 x 40 = 400 x 5 = 2000
                  New situation: 10 x 235 = 2350
                  There will be a discount for every year is said, so it could be still 2000 after 5 years, depends on whats going on but I don't trust it anymore.

For the forum only there will be an offer in a few days if Luke's correct.

Otherwise upgrade to v4 is for free until current 3.8.x license expires. Then a new license is needed for the rest of the v4 upgrades and such update costs 175 dollars if Luke is correct (195 dollar says the members section at the moment).

The only option for people which bought addons before is indeed to upgrade to the suite for 130 dollar or purchase a new license if their current license is expired. At least I did not see any other options.
                  Greetings, Black Tiger

Comment

• aussiefooty
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 6.0.X

Floris,

You could sell a few of your licenses because now you have merged most of your forums together.
                    Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum

Comment

• aussiefooty
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Jerz
                      Uh. As usual you don't understand. I'm not sure if you just post to increase your post count, or what. As an existing customer with an inactive owned license and blog, I must pay to upgrade it to the suite. That is the only option I'm given. To upgrade to the suite is more expensive than a new suite license when the discount is included.
                      You have to renew your license which will cost a bit. But upgrading costs nothing. Go and have a look at the site.
                      Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum

Comment

• Floris
                        • Dec 2001

Floris,

You could sell a few of your licenses because now you have merged most of your forums together.
                        You have no clue where my licenses are being used. Or if they are in use.

Thank you for the suggestion, but I can't run my sites unlicensed. So selling the licenses won't help.

Comment

• Jerz
                          • Apr 2007
                          • 3.8.x

You have to renew your license which will cost a bit. But upgrading costs nothing. Go and have a look at the site.
                          Please don't say anything if you don't know what you're talking about. To renew my license I am being asked to pay $250. That is the only option the site is giving me, aside from purchasing a new license.

Comment

• Makc666
                            • Jan 2005
                            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Floris
                            As per announcement is sounds to me that if you have one or more addons and an active owned license, you pay $250-$120 discount.

So my 10 active owned x $40 renewal of $400 is now $1260 And then again with version 5.

and then i read:

So it is free upgrade.

But the members' area says upgrade options: none, upgrade to vb4 package.

I am getting conflicting info. So nobody's getting any money.
                            You will be able to use your 10 licenses with 4.* forums until they expire.

After that if you want to use your licenses you will have to pay $175 for each.

So it will be 10 x $175 = $1750 for all 4.* forums upgrades.

In other words $175 / $40 = 4,375 years of upgrades if you will pay $40 every year using old scheme.

That is why Jelsoft is trying to force every one to upgrade to Suite for $130.
                            ...... sigpic ...... "А стукачков мы не любим!"

My Modification: Quote Post in PM - passes to new personal message (PM) post's text, username, etc.

Comment

• Xorlev
                              • Apr 2006
                              • 3.5.x

How is there not more outrage over this?

If they're running low on money, simply release a new major version! I've been with Jelsoft a long time running a forum, paying $30/year, then $40/year, and $60/year...now $175 EVERY MAJOR RELEASE? I think I'll stick with vB3.8. I own this software. I think I'll stick with it rather than continuing to support a company so profit driven and greedy.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...