X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Grove
    • Apr 2008
    • 5.5.x

Member's Area Download

The Member's Area download throttling already takes into account multiple licenses and allows you to download one copy of vB for each license without waiting 5 minutes. ImPex should be included in this. In other words, you should be able to download one copy of vBulletin and one copy of ImPex for the same license back-to-back without waiting 5 minutes. At least that's my take on things and I think it would make for a better experience for the new customer who wants to install vB and convert from their previous software. Just thought I'd offer the suggestion.
    ~~~~~
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

Why limit your customers to downloading your software. If they have malicious intention they will wait 5 minutes. Ridiculous punishment for customers who are not doing anything wrong. Especially because this is behind closed doors and not a public web site where it can be publicly hammered.

The license agreement violation is in regards to the instance you're running. And says nothing about x amounts of time in y minutes of downloading. So this has nothing to do with piracy.

"As an anti-abusive measure, you are limited to one download of vBulletin every five minutes."

It's thankfully not THAT bad, because I am able to download say 5 licensed instances in 5 minutes, otherwise it would have been out of the park.

In my observation, opinion, this is not needed. And assumes a customer is in the wrong, before he/she actually is.

Comment

• nexialys
      • May 2004
      • 1.1.x

"Fiedeldij Dop for President"

nope?

oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• runuo.com
        • Feb 2004
        • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

This one bit me tonight...

I'm trying to update one specific site... and every time I download it it comes up with just jumbled text and now I can't re-dl it.

This is EXTREMELY annoying.

Comment

• David Grove
          • Apr 2008
          • 5.5.x

Originally posted by runuo.com

I'm trying to update one specific site... and every time I download it it comes up with just jumbled text and now I can't re-dl it.

They could change the throttling so that it would affect regular users less, while still thwarting members who want to DDoS vBulletin by scripting a download every 2 seconds.

The current limit is one download every 5 minutes, that rate allows 6 downloads every 30 minutes. If the throttling were changed to allow 6 downloads every 30 minutes instead of 1 every 5 minutues, it would affect real users a lot less. For example, if you need to download 3 or 4 times in quick succession, it would still be allowed, as long as it doesn't surpass 6 downloads within a 30 minute window.

Just an idea.

Also, downloading 2 or 3 times in quick succession is legit. Perhaps the download didn't complete correctly. Perhaps they downloaded only to realize they need uncompressed Javascript or need to change the PHP extension for the download etc.
          ~~~~~

Comment

• David Grove
            • Apr 2008
            • 5.5.x

Originally posted by Floris
            Why limit your customers to downloading your software. If they have malicious intention they will wait 5 minutes. Ridiculous punishment for customers who are not doing anything wrong. Especially because this is behind closed doors and not a public web site where it can be publicly hammered.

The license agreement violation is in regards to the instance you're running. And says nothing about x amounts of time in y minutes of downloading. So this has nothing to do with piracy.

"As an anti-abusive measure, you are limited to one download of vBulletin every five minutes."

It's thankfully not THAT bad, because I am able to download say 5 licensed instances in 5 minutes, otherwise it would have been out of the park.

In my observation, opinion, this is not needed. And assumes a customer is in the wrong, before he/she actually is.
            I don't think it's an anti-abusive measure in terms of piracy. It's anti-abusive in the sense that many downloads in a short time will spike the server load of the server generating the download package.
            ~~~~~

Comment

• nexialys
              • May 2004
              • 1.1.x

Originally posted by runuo.com

open a support ticket, that's the only place where you will be supported about this very specific situation...
              oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• Floris
                • Dec 2001

Originally posted by sockwater
                I don't think it's an anti-abusive measure in terms of piracy. It's anti-abusive in the sense that many downloads in a short time will spike the server load of the server generating the download package.
                Then limit it to people who are doing this. Not the people who aren't abusing the system. Multiple downloads happen. If there's x(bigger than 2) occurrences in y seconds, consider it unusual behavior and block the user for z seconds.

Comment

• jmurrayhead
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Floris
                  Then limit it to people who are doing this. Not the people who aren't abusing the system. Multiple downloads happen. If there's x(bigger than 2) occurrences in y seconds, consider it unusual behavior and block the user for z seconds.
                  Couldn't agree more...
                  No...No...Meester vBulletin, he no work right.

Comment

• Floris
                    • Dec 2001

Hello?

Can you AT LEAST fix the issue of IMPEX and VBULLETIN being the SAME download?

You have no idea how frustrating this is.

I can't download vB and then ImpEx, this is the xth time I run into this.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      Former Customer Support Manager
                      • Jul 2000

This will be resolved in the coming days.
                      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Floris
                        • Dec 2001

That is very positive news. THANK you.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...