X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aussiefooty
    • Nov 2008
    • 6.0.X

Noticed that yesterday....

DDOS attacks again from people who possibly have been banned or have a grudge or want to hack vBulletin to try and get a free copy of the software.

Don't know why they would waste their time doing that sort of thing. It only cheeses us off and makes things unusable for everyone.
    Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
    Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

• Michael Biddle
      • May 2004
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by schwab2clarkson

DDOS attacks again from people who possibly have been banned or have a grudge or want to hack vBulletin to try and get a free copy of the software.

Don't know why they would waste their time doing that sort of thing. It only cheeses us off and makes things unusable for everyone.
      Really? I thought that it was the staff that was doing it to prevent complaints for users.

Comment

• MRGTB
        • May 2005

What planet do you live on? Because it can't be planet Earth.

That's just plain ridiculous, sorry.
        Last edited by MRGTB; Mon 31 Aug '09, 3:23pm.

Comment

• shelley_c
          • Jun 2006
          • 3.8.x

You can't be serious? Surely. Really? Wowsers.

Edit: Both sites resolving quickly for me now.
          vBImageworks.com - Free Premade custom Smiley sets, Button Sets, Ranks and more...

Comment

• Ray Morgan
            Former vBulletin General Manager
            • Sep 2008
            • 3.7.x

Well it looks like things are nice and fast again for the moment. This doesn't appear to have been a classic DDOS attack, but rather a dozen or so clients that were requesting tens of thousands of pages, and that seems to have been the bulk of the problem.

Comment

• MRGTB
              • May 2005

I don't think this has been limited to just vBulletin you know, I've been experiencing problem on the net with slow speeds on many sites (sometimes intermittent) since this whole DDOS thing kicked-off last week with Twitter getting hit hard first.

I've even noticed my own site suffering from intermittent loading problems this week (which is just not normal), and it's hosted by NameCheap who got hit hard by DDOS attacks not that long ago. Seems to me like "mass" DDOS attacks are taking place here.
              Last edited by MRGTB; Mon 31 Aug '09, 3:36pm.

Comment

• Lynne
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Oct 2004

Originally posted by MRGTB
                I don't think this has been limited to just vBulletin you know, I've been experiencing problem on the net with slow speeds on many sites (sometimes intermittent) since this whole DDOS thing kicked-off last week with Twitter getting hit hard first.

I've even noticed my own site suffering from intermittent loading problems this week (which is just not normal), and it's hosted by NameCheap who got hit hard by DDOS attacks not that long ago. Seems to me like "mass" DDOS attacks are taking place here.
                Are you sure it isn't your own ISP? Try doing a trace from your computer (not a site like network-tools) the next time you have problems and see if it fully gets out of your own local area without problems.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• MRGTB
                  • May 2005

Most sites are fine Lynne, and I've just done a local speed test and all is fine there too.

Comment

• Floris
                    • Dec 2001

Originally posted by Ray Morgan
                    Well it looks like things are nice and fast again for the moment. This doesn't appear to have been a classic DDOS attack, but rather a dozen or so clients that were requesting tens of thousands of pages, and that seems to have been the bulk of the problem.
                    A dozen of clients (unique hosts I assume) took this site to its knees for 12+ hours? linux lets you grep the results from netstat and count it:
                    if unique_ip_amount_counted > average_number { block for 1 hour } .. should have easily stopped 12+ clients flooding the server with requests.

Multiple hosts requesting multiple pages to cause a denial of service, is distributed. It is a classic DDoS attack, just a very weak one.

But I am glad the site is back.

Comment

• bigwater
                      • Jan 2007

I still don't know why vB sticks with ThePlanet after all the problems they've had over the last couple of years. Most of my server work is spent moving clients off of ThePlanet and onto better first tier backbone providers. I won't publically speculate on reasons why, but there are so many better backbone providers out there that it really makes me wonder.

I'm not personally complaining about vB's site... it comes up when it does...20 seconds between page requests is nothing as I'm usually hitting a couple of other sites in a different browser instance to check on other things at the same time. I fly between sites all day long anyway, so I don't worry about a bit of a delay, but it's still curious why a high profile corporate structure sticks with a provider that makes most people wait for what seems like an eternity for pages to be served.
                      Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Comment

• MRGTB
                        • May 2005

I wouldn't be that surprised if it's already crossed there mind about moving servers if things continue like this. Although, DDOS attacks can happen no matter what server your on.

Comment

• kmike
                          • Sep 2003
                          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Ray Morgan
                          I don't think a dozen of clients could have saturated the pipe to the point where the server was responding with 2 second pings. And if they could, it was also an extremely lousy job by the server administrators in filtering the offenders.

Comment

• Shamil.
                            • Feb 2008
                            • 4.2.X

Ray, you wouldn't happen to know if the systems doing so were Tor Servers? I've had about 6 servers going down due to Tor Servers... one of them lead to an imminent drive failure.
                            Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
                            VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
                            vBulletin Hosting and Services
                            Server / Website Consultation

Comment

• Mr. Mikey
                              • Feb 2009

DDoS attacks aren't personal..
                              My Forums: The Geek District - Off Topic Hut
                              My Blog: Mikeylicious
                              Projects: Shorten URL's with kwn.me

Comment

• aussiefooty
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Mr. Mikey
                                DDoS attacks aren't personal..
                                No they aren't but I reckon it might have something to do with people who have decided to take action on the sites, which HAS happened before.
                                Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
                                Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...