X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reece^B
    • Jan 2006
    • 3.6.x

vB4 Question

Reading that we should keep our licences active, which i have jsut renewed yesterday. But why is this?

What is changing under terms for vB4? Is it more exprenive?

Cheers
  • nexialys
    • May 2004
    • 1.1.x

right now, no... only the leased licenses have to be changed to something to be announced in the next weeks...
    oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• aussiefooty
      • Nov 2008
      • 6.0.X

Please wait until any announcements have been made on this issue. I know that you like everyone else is excited and curious about all the pricing and info on vB.4. But just like everyone else we are all forced to wait.
      Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
      Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

• Reece^B
        • Jan 2006
        • 3.6.x

My point is though, for us whom have recently made our licences active or current active users, would there be a charge for upgrading to vB4? Or would it be like a normal upgrade (download files through vB.com)

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
          • Sep 2001

After many many many months, IB finally announced that they would honor their licensing agreement and offer the upgrade to vb4 forums at no additional charge for those with active licenses.

What remains in question is what will happen to those of us who currently have blogs and project tools.
          Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• CarterMarkham
            • Apr 2008

I hear through the grape vine that when you purchase your license, it will not be good for one year, but for the whole series..I.E. 4.0.0-4.9.9

Cant confirm it, but thats what I heard.

Comment

• Steve Machol
              Former Customer Support Manager
              • Jul 2000

The official answer is here: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=315681
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• MRGTB
                • May 2005

Originally posted by CarterMarkham
                I hear through the grape vine that when you purchase your license, it will not be good for one year, but for the whole series..I.E. 4.0.0-4.9.9

Cant confirm it, but thats what I heard.
                What been bashed around, and I'm not sure how much truth there is in it. Is that unlike before were you paid a yearly renewal fee which would give you constant access to what ever branch was released like "vB 3.3, 3.5, 3.6, 3.7, 3.8" series (plus 12 months support), just as long as you renewed it each year. Now things will change were you'll only be entitled to download updates for the branch your licence covers at the time of purchase because 12 month renewal fee's are being scrapped. And when a new branch is released later you won't have access to that branch, which is effectively being treated as a new product branch version that your license doesn't cover which you purchased before it release.

Instead, the renewal fee will basicly be turned into a "support fee" instead now. As again, it's being bashed around that you'll only get 3 months support when you buy a license in the future once the changes are put in motion. And to extend it pass that you'll have to renew it 3 months down the line. That's how it seems anyway from what I've read here over the last few months. So yes, in a sense they are doing away with the renewal fee completly (turning it in a support fee).

it will not be good for one year, but for the whole series..I.E. 4.0.0-4.9.9
                I would have thought, again just guessing.

Your license would cover you for: "4.0.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.0.3" etc. But when it jumps to "4.1.0", that would be treated as a new branch version. The same way "3.5, 3.6, 3.7, 3.8" are now in a roundabout way. For example, 3.6 is no longer supported anymore - while 3.7 and 3.8 is. So they are treating them like different branch versions if you look at it like that.

But I guess they could also go another route to avoid confusion by doing this: "4.0, 4.1, 4.2" etc. Then jumping to 5.0 leaving the vB4 version behind completly to start a new branch as vB5.0. That way people would know for sure the difference in branch version vB4 to vB5. Otherwise people might argue that they purchased a license when vB4 was out, so the other example above just might cause problems. Seeing as 4.0.1, then going to 4.1 as a new branch, is effectively still vB4 branch still.
                Last edited by MRGTB; Fri 11 Sep '09, 3:35pm.

Comment

• aussiefooty
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Reece^B
                  My point is though, for us whom have recently made our licences active or current active users, would there be a charge for upgrading to vB4? Or would it be like a normal upgrade (download files through vB.com)
                  No there isn't at this stage.

Just wait until everything is announced.
                  Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
                  Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

• Shamil.
                    • Feb 2008
                    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by schwab2clarkson
                    No there isn't at this stage.

Just wait until everything is announced.
                    It is already established that we will not have to pay for vBulletin 4.
                    Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
                    VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
                    vBulletin Hosting and Services
                    Server / Website Consultation

Comment

• MRGTB
                      • May 2005

Yes, it's already been said by Ray that if you have an active license and your only looking to upgrade just the forum only, you can upgrade to vBulletin 4 forum (not the full suite).

Really, schwap2clarkson should know this information already. As Ray posted it a while back.

Comment

• KeithMcL
                        • Jun 2000
                        • 3.6.x

What about those who currently have an inactive owned license? If this new pricing structure comes into play with the release of vB4, wouldn't that mean that anyone who renews their license between now and the release of vB4 will lose out on some money? (to renew atm costs $60)

I want to be able to upgrade to vB4 but do I need to have an active license to avail of the upgrade?

Comment

• hitmancode47
                          • Jul 2008
                          • 3.8.x

What about those who currently have an inactive owned license?
                          It will be the same as it currently is, considering Ray has stated its under the terms of the current license, which states that with an "Expired" owned license, unless you renew u cant download updates.

I want to be able to upgrade to vB4 but do I need to have an active license to avail of the upgrade?
                          Considering you cant download updates with an expired license, I would say Yes

Really, schwab2clarkson should
                          Fixed the typo for you
                          Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

• MRGTB
                            • May 2005

Originally posted by KeithMcL
                            What about those who currently have an inactive owned license? If this new pricing structure comes into play with the release of vB4, wouldn't that mean that anyone who renews their license between now and the release of vB4 will lose out on some money? (to renew atm costs $60)

Hard to say, Ray said those who have an active license will benefit most. Well that how it seems anyway. How exactly (money wise). Your guess is as good as mine. Everybody is still awaiting the pricing information, so nobody knows anything for certain yet.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                              Former Customer Support Manager
                              • Jul 2000

Originally posted by KeithMcL

Well since you would not even be able to download 3.8.5 unless you renewed your license this really is not something unique to vB4. You only have access to the version that was available when the license expired. You will have to renew to get access to newer versions.
                              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...