Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

Open Suggestion: Forum Structure / Content

Here's my friendly and open suggestion to the forum structure and their contents. Feel free to ignore it, feel free to implement it, feel free to add-on suggestions. I do not expect changes to occur immediately. But I hope it's being considered at least for the (near) future with version 4 in mind.

Version 3.6 is now end of life, "vBulletin 3.6 Legacy Version" category could be moved below the "vBulletin Legacy Versions (2.x, 3.0 and 3.5)" category.

The category "vBulletin Legacy Versions (2.x, 3.0 and 3.5)" Could then be renamed to "vBulletin Legacy Versions (2.x, 3.0, 3.5, and 3.6)".

The 3.6 forum "vBulletin 3.6 Installation and Upgrades" which is currently under this category, could either a) become a subforum under "vBulletin 3.6 Questions, Problems and Troubleshooting", or b) be merged with it.

I recommend to keep the order logical, so the 'legacy' category goes from 3.6, to 3.5, 3.0, 2.x.

I also recommend considering merging the content from "vBulletin 3.0 Fixes and Patches" sub-forum into its parent forum: "vBulletin 3.0 How Do I and Troubleshooting Forum" as the content isn't that much, and outdated, and the "fix" 9/10 times equals upgrading to v3.

The "Archive" category is a mess : http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66 and despite (for me) being logical, it is perhaps worth considering removing some of the [forum is actually a link] forums, and merging 'beta' (pre/post) forums together to clean up the clutter, but .. it's an archive, perhaps it doesn't even matter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	3708882

Regarding the "vBulletin Downloads" forum.
    Would it perhaps be an idea to remove clutter from users and motivate them to upgrade to the latest stable, by offering a) the latest branch 3.8 releases, and b) an archive with older releases moved into it?

Just browsing 3.8 releases for language packs and styles would be a bit nicer than having to go through multiple pages to see if there's perhaps a newer version somewhere else.

And the "Announcements Discussions" forum could perhaps be moved to the archive, as their data is outdated once version 4 beta is out, and there's a new licensed users feedback forum to replace it.

The forum "Managing your Community" to my understanding only allows licensed customers to post. However, this is not clear. It's just something I happen to know. Newcomers might now. The forum description could perhaps be updated?

The forum "Server Configuration" in my opinion should be limited to licensed customers too. Pre-sales questions can go into pre-sales or the 'vb hosting' forum above it. This might cut down on the spam, and limit requests and support for it, from staff and experienced customers, rather than people with commercial agenda : oh with that config, you are better of with a better host, look at my sig, i just happen to be a host!

I also recommend to move this forum up 1 so the first three under general category are for licensed customers only to participate in (and the rest to view). While the php/html and hosting and the chit chat forum below it are for unlicensed users.

Regarding the forum "Licensed Customer Feedback", I recommend allowing people to read this. Having this locked down doesn't feel right. If it has been decided upon, please reconsider it. Not all customers are set up as licensed, or know how, for a company that promised improvement in communication it sounds counter intuitive to lock down content. But, I can understand why. Again, an open suggestion.

And finally, before I go, I like the team to please reconsider making it easier to identify which forums are for licensed customers, and not. The notice system might allow this, a index.php forum description or forum_licensed index icon, etc. Enough opportunities to use the default features to make it clear to potential customers where they can post and not.

The forums that are actually a link that link to their project- project.php section, is illogical if you ask. If I would put them four below eachother, it looks like a sales pitch, but does not explain what it is. I rather read 'follow this link to issue a new bug report for vbulletin 3.8' and 'Go here to report confirmed issues with the blog software' or whatever sounds more reasonable than 'you can use the PT to suggest features', which.. you can't. it's not setup to suggest features for the project tools for example, only bug reporting.

Ok, <steve jobs> One more thing </steve jobs> Perhaps consider adding a quick link to the albums and social groups as a 'demo', or have there be a demo forum with subforum links to various demo options, or change the pre-sales forum description to have something like ' test.zip | demo vbulletin | example: social album / social group / social profile | available languages / styles ' .. stuff like that. This can provide both pre/post sales users with great links to learn and try vbulletin and find out where to look next.

Thank you or your time, I am here all week
  • aussiefooty
    • Nov 2008
    • 6.0.X

There's plenty of food for thought there Floris. I like it.
    Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
    Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

• speysider
      Banned
      • Mar 2009

Floris, they are all really good suggestions, can I just touch on a few things you pointed out?

I like the team to please reconsider making it easier to identify which forums are for licensed customers, and not.
      Instead of cluttering the whole forum with notices, how about making the current and only notice a dismissable one? Or have each forum with it's own notice or announcement saying "This forum is open only to licensed customers: unlicensed members are not able to post here. Thank you for your co-operation" or something like that?

Regarding the forum "Licensed Customer Feedback", I recommend allowing people to read this. Having this locked down doesn't feel right. If it has been decided upon, please reconsider it. Not all customers are set up as licensed, or know how, for a company that promised improvement in communication it sounds counter intuitive to lock down content. But, I can understand why. Again, an open suggestion.
      Yes I also agree, I think we'd like to see what the licensed members have to say, rather than hiding them from view, like a staff forum. There are probably a lot of members here that are unlicensed.

Searching through the member list, there's a lot of members with only one post. I would recommend that the staff purge all these accounts with less than 5 posts, which would improve server usability and have less limits on certain features of the forum

Version 3.6 is now end of life, "vBulletin 3.6 Legacy Version" category could be moved below the "vBulletin Legacy Versions (2.x, 3.0 and 3.5)" category.

The category "vBulletin Legacy Versions (2.x, 3.0 and 3.5)" Could then be renamed to "vBulletin Legacy Versions (2.x, 3.0, 3.5, and 3.6)".

The 3.6 forum "vBulletin 3.6 Installation and Upgrades" which is currently under this category, could either a) become a subforum under "vBulletin 3.6 Questions, Problems and Troubleshooting", or b) be merged with it.

I recommend to keep the order logical, so the 'legacy' category goes from 3.6, to 3.5, 3.0, 2.x.
      Yep, I'm all for this as well. Get rid of the Legacy Versions and have them under one forum category, as right now, there's a lot of unused forums. IMO.

I would mention that have the most oldest Legacy Version at the top would be better, and the not-so-old Legacy Version at the bottom of that category.

The forums that are actually a link that link to their project- project.php section, is illogical if you ask. If I would put them four below eachother, it looks like a sales pitch, but does not explain what it is. I rather read 'follow this link to issue a new bug report for vbulletin 3.8' and 'Go here to report confirmed issues with the blog software' or whatever sounds more reasonable than 'you can use the PT to suggest features', which.. you can't. it's not setup to suggest features for the project tools for example, only bug reporting.
      Yes, this is also something I was thinking of. Project Tools is only meant for Bug Reports and that's it. It isn't designed for any kind of features. I would recommend deleting the PT sections where it mentions about feedback and making it a bug report section and have one forum dedicated to suggestions and feedback.

In all, Floris is very right about how some things are organised on this forum. Thanks for reading, I hope many others have other critiques to post!

Comment

• Chimpie
        • Nov 2007
        • 3.8.x

Very well said Floris.
        CHIMPIE | SKYWARN | EMTLIFE

Comment

• Floris
          • Dec 2001

Searching through the member list, there's a lot of members with only one post. I would recommend that the staff purge all these accounts with less than 5 posts, which would improve server usability and have less limits on certain features of the forum
          There is 0% need to purge anybody's account, especially if they're posting! Imagine a government having a vb license and posting 1 support question, but showing unlicensed .. would be a shame for them to find out jelsoft didn't care and purged them. That's how you lose long term loyal customers

Comment

• speysider
            Banned
            • Mar 2009

Maybe that's why there's high waiting times between things?
            But a lot of these 1 post accounts have registered a long time ago, made one post, then never came back here at all. Makes sense to purge them.

Comment

• Floris
              • Dec 2001

I have no idea what you mean with high waiting times. I click a button, page is loaded. I click on edit, editor opens. It's instant. No delays what so ever. You can keep the attitude with that rolleyes icon.

Comment

• speysider
                Banned
                • Mar 2009

As in, you have to wait 60 seconds before post reporting, 20 seconds for searching, etc.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by speysider
                  As in, you have to wait 60 seconds before post reporting, 20 seconds for searching, etc.
                  Has nothing to do with the number of users. Even if they were purged, the floodchecks would remain in place. Two different and unrelated things. The only resource that inactive accounts take up is disk space. We have plenty.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Abomination
                    • Jul 2008

Those are some great suggestions Floris.

Maybe just rename "vBulletin Legacy Versions (2.x, 3.0 and 3.5)" to just "vBulletin Legacy Versions" so that does not need to be updated in the future?

Great suggestions you have made.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...