• Show
Clear All
  • زعيم النت
    • Jun 2009

how can i report about some forume

hi
    how are u
    i know forums unlicensed
    how can i report them so you close them...
    ??
    how?
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Please do that here: http://www.vbulletin.com/piracy.php

Thank you.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Jim O
      • Apr 2006
      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      Please do that here: http://www.vbulletin.com/piracy.php

Thank you.
      Steve,

How long do these investigations typically take?

It seems it should be a quick look at the license database and a couple of clicks on the URL. I host a site which I am almost certain is using a nulled copy of vBulletin (the files have no license number at the top and no download time at the bottom), reported it, and have heard nothing. The site is still there. I'd like to ban the site with cause, but I need help.
      World War Two Zone

JLK Hosting - non-oversold Virtuozzo VPS solutions - specializing in vBulletin and nginx hosting

Comment

• HMBeaty
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Jim O
        reported it, and have heard nothing
        You won't
        "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time!"
        "It's important to only think about what you desire, not what you fear to achieve your ultimate goal!!"
        "When doors close, tear down the walls. Never give up!"

Comment

• Jim O
          • Apr 2006
          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by EF91CRX
          You won't
          I'm the host (did you miss that part?). Who else is going to terminate the site?
          World War Two Zone

JLK Hosting - non-oversold Virtuozzo VPS solutions - specializing in vBulletin and nginx hosting

Comment

• HMBeaty
            • Mar 2005

I'm the host (did you miss that part?)
            Yes, actually, I did. Sorry. A little tired.
            "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time!"
            "It's important to only think about what you desire, not what you fear to achieve your ultimate goal!!"

Comment

• Jim O
              • Apr 2006
              • 3.6.x

No problem. Like I said, I would rather do it with cause. I paid for my licenses.
              World War Two Zone

Comment

• HMBeaty
                • Mar 2005

As did I which is why when someone runs a pirated version of vBulletin (or anything really), that crap pisses me off. lol

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  • Jul 2000

Steve,

How long do these investigations typically take?
                  It's not simply a mater of finding out if that have a valid license. Keep in mind that Jelsoft is not some all-powerful entity that can smite down illegal sites with a wave of it's mighty hand. The process requires cooperation from the web hosting companies and others as well.

Some sites may be hosted in places that don't respect copyright laws. Some may have purchased a licenseafter getting their warning. Some just pick up and move to another host after getting shut down. And some may just take a while to get shut down.

Thank you for your reports. Believe me, we DO follow-up within the limits of our power.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Jim O
                    • Apr 2006
                    • 3.6.x

It's not simply a mater of finding out if that have a valid license. Keep in mind that Jelsoft is not some all-powerful entity that can smite down illegal sites with a wave of it's mighty hand. The process requires cooperation from the web hosting companies and others as well.
                    I'm the host and I made the report. Seems I would quickly cooperate...

Some sites may be hosted in places that don't respect copyright laws. Some may have purchased a licenseafter getting their warning. Some just pick up and move to another host after getting shut down. And some may just take a while to get shut down.
                    My business address is in Virginia and all of our servers are in the US. We follow and respect US law. The site is still there and the files still have no customer number (just checked).

Like I said, I find it even more irritating because I paid for my licenses. It's much easier for me to shut down warez and rapid leech sites. In those cases I know they violate my TOS/AUP. Something that *may* be a license issue I feel I need some confirmation.
                    World War Two Zone

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      • Jul 2000

Then how do you know they do not have a valid license?

At any rate this is not the place to discuss this. If you are the host, then send a ticket from your hosting domain and we can look into this.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Jim O
                        • Apr 2006
                        • 3.6.x

Then how do you know they do not have a valid license?
                        I can't be certain since I don't have access to your database but the files lack the "customer number" section at the top and the download timestamp at the bottom. It's a pretty good guess but I could be wrong. I have other reasons as well but I won't state them here.

At any rate this is not the place to discuss this. If you are the host, then send a ticket from your hosting domain and we can look into this.
                        I made a report. Is there something else you are asking me to do?
                        World War Two Zone

Comment

• SNN
                          • Jul 2006

All vBulletin releases are leaving out the Customer Number from the header of the files. Download vBulletin 3.8+ and you'll see that.

Comment

• Ryan Ashbrook
                            • May 2003

My vB3.8 files all contain the License Number.

It's only removed from the JS files.
                            Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

• Jim O
                              • Apr 2006
                              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by SNN
                              All vBulletin releases are leaving out the Customer Number from the header of the files. Download vBulletin 3.8+ and you'll see that.
                              Really? Not my copies. From 3.8.3 forumdisplay.php:

Click image for larger version

Name:	fdphp.png
Views:	1
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	3673033

Click image for larger version

Name:	fdfooter.png
Views:	1
Size:	1.4 KB
ID:	3673034

These are not present in the site in question. And the files are datestamped in February.
                              World War Two Zone

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...