One thread for each 3rd party add-on product?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Razasharp
    • Feb 2005
    • 3.7.x

One thread for each 3rd party add-on product?

I don't know about anyone else, but it's getting annoying so many people coming here to ask about 3rd party products - when really they should be asking on the 3rd party's site.

Maybe it would be an idea to have one thread for each of these products, with the first post a statement along the lines of the above and then every post to do with these products moved out of the other threads and into these dedicated ones.

That way other sections, threads, don't get hijacked all the time, and people can easily be directed to these threads should they want to talk or ask questions about them (yet the 'official' word is always present at the top, that Jelsoft staff don't recommend any 3rd party products and people best go on their sites to ask questions about them).
    What's Special About Ruby on Rails?
  • Ryan Ashbrook
    • May 2003

Not really feasible considering the amount of 3rd Party Products available, whether it's a single thread or one for each product.

And I'm not even talking about what's at vB.org.
    Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

• Floris
      • Dec 2001

I do not think this is something that should be done.

Comment

• Lynne
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Oct 2004

Considering the fact that they don't bother to search in the first place (and see that the answer is always the same - something about all questions regarding third party add-ons should be posted on the site where you got the third party add-on), I doubt it would help to have a thread about their add-on that they would never find.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
        vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
        Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
        If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Razasharp
          • Feb 2005
          • 3.7.x

Sorry I didn't make it clear enough, I meant for 'paid' add-ons only.
          What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

• RichM
            • Jan 2003
            • 4.0.x

I don't like this idea at all.

While this may be a forum which people can use to get official support, it's also widely used by forum admins to discuss a variety of different topics regarding the management of a forum. It is a community in its own right, and many of us don't use it just for obtaining official support.

Your idea is also flawed. For example, people may decide to make a thread asking for opinions with regards to the effectiveness of vBSEO. If the user was to ask the same question over on vBSEO's own forum, it's likely that they'd get a biased response. This forum allows people to share and gather opinions from many other users and as a result of that, the amount of bias will be reduced.

vBulletin is designed with support for third party addon integration. I think it's fair to say that the amount of third party addons for vBulletin, has done nothing other than improve vBulletin's success. Many users regard the integration of addons (plugin system) to be a core feature of vBulletin. I therefore think that it is appropriate for such discussions to take place on this forum.

Also, I don't think merging these threads into a single thread would be a good idea. It would create a jumbled up mess and would become practically useless thread that nobody would bother to read.

That said though, I do not think it's appropriate for users to request official support regarding a question or problem regarding a third party addon. However, I don't see a problem with users asking for feedback or advice from other forum admins.
            Last edited by RichM; Tue 21 Apr '09, 12:50am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...