This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redrat

Advertising ?

Why about putting advertisment banners on this site to improve your revenue ?
  • mjames
    • Nov 2000
    • 3.8.x

I believe vB does quite well just selling the software. I don't think adding advertising would do anything but lower the quality and standards here. Plus, we all know by now, banners are almost meaningless in this state of the market.
    Marc James
    Sports Central — Beyond the Scores
    Sports Central Message Boards

Comment

• Chris Stewart
      • Oct 2001

Couldn't agree more. vB is the major player in BBs out there. I think they are doing quite well
      Console Racing Review

Comment

• redrat

Sure vB is "the" bulletin board system and do high income but advertising is just an additionnal income

Comment

• JamesUS
          • Aug 2000

I very much doubt that advertising will ever be added to the site here...as Marc said above, all it would do would be to lower the quality of the site and forums. While extra income is always nice, Jelsoft are doing fine at the moment

Comment

• redrat

can you explain more why
            all it would do would be to lower the quality of the site and forums
            ?

Comment

• JamesUS
              • Aug 2000

If you had a choice between seeing an ad on every page of these forums, or not seeing any at all, what would you choose?

Ad banners divert attention from content, they make the page load slower, can be very annoying to users and overall just aren't worth having unless you really do need them (and we don't )

Comment

• redrat

Glad for you

Comment

• mjames
                  • Nov 2000
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by redrat
                  can you explain more why ?
                  I think if Jelsoft suddenly put banners on the page, it would make people think they were running low on cash. Which isn't the case.

Think about it. Does Amazon.com have banners? Of course not. They are an ecommerce site that makes money through selling products, not advertising.
                  Marc James
                  Sports Central — Beyond the Scores
                  Sports Central Message Boards

Comment

• alderama
                    • May 2004

I wanna adda a banner which orientates to my other website.
                    How will I do?
                    I wont earn money from this

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      Former Customer Support Manager
                      • Jul 2000

This thread is almost 3 years old. Please start a new thread in the appropriate forum.
                      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...