Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kaizen
    • Aug 2001

A way to stop unlicened people getting support

This may have been thought of already but i just thought i would say it anyway:

We are have a "user staus", such as "member", "senior member", "vbulletin developer" etc.

This is where my idea comes from: when people disappear or continually ask for support when they dont have their licence information in their profile change their user status to something like: "Unlicenced".

That way people who cannot view their profile will be able to know whether to help them or not.

What do u think (use the poll) ?
    Yes
    70.59%
    It will never work.
    29.41%
    Email: [email protected]
    Site: Under Construction
  • thewitt
    • Mar 2001
    • 3.0.0 Gamma

I think it's a good idea, and it has been discussed - at least around the edges - but the one problem still remaining is how to deal with multiple people who come here to get support for a single vB installation.

The installation is legal, however only one user on the forums can use the licence info to register. The other legal users asking for support on the forum would show up as bad guys...

-t
    Tim Hewitt
    myOstrich Internet - Domain Management & Internet Services
    myOstrich Golf - When it comes to golf, we don't have our heads in the sand.

Comment

• Kaizen
      • Aug 2001

Ok

here we adapt the idea a little bit

if more than one person wants to recieve support for the same board then they have to email someone at vbulletin (i would be happy to do this)

and verify that it is all true

and then move them manually to the "Licenced" user/ status group

wot do u think

Comment

• thewitt
        • Mar 2001
        • 3.0.0 Gamma

That works for me, however I'm not the guy at Jelsoft who has to answer the email and validate the users .

-t
        Tim Hewitt

Comment

• Kaizen
          • Aug 2001

i would be happy to do it because i am getting sick of the seeing the same posts over and over again:

"Please enter your ............"

and people come out will the usual response (often true ) - i am not the owner of the licence, because this happened to me too.

It would nice if a moderator or admin joined in this conversation.....

Comment

• tubedogg
            • Feb 2001

We are currently weighing ideas as to how to stop providing support to pirates without disenfranchising our customers. Rest assured we will do something soon.

Comment

• Kaizen
              • Aug 2001

good

what do u think of this idea ?

can u give me links to other threads where other people have suggested ways - i can find any.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                Former Customer Support Manager
                • Jul 2000

There's already an extensive thread and poll on this subject here:

Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Kaizen
                  • Aug 2001

Ok how about this idea:

Only licenced people can log into the members area, so in the members area they (indivuals/customers) can assign vbulletin forum accounts that have rights for support.

As far as i can see this would solve most, if not all of current problems.

What do u think ?

Comment

• c-prompt
                    • Apr 2001

I had suggested this a month ago.

Comment

• merk
                      • Jul 2001

Originally posted by thewitt
                      I think it's a good idea, and it has been discussed - at least around the edges - but the one problem still remaining is how to deal with multiple people who come here to get support for a single vB installation.

The installation is legal, however only one user on the forums can use the licence info to register. The other legal users asking for support on the forum would show up as bad guys...

-t
                      Since when?

Ive got 3 people here sharing my licence information, i have no idea how you got that idea.

Comment

• JamesUS
                        • Aug 2000

We are working on a solution as best as we can. We (the staff) had a discussion last night about solutions for this problem, and hopefully we'll be able to get something implemented before.

Comment

• redrat

This won't work cause pirates will still be able to login on the board and will get some help by using the search engine.

Only my opinion

Comment

• thewitt
                            • Mar 2001
                            • 3.0.0 Gamma

Originally posted by merk

Since when?

Ive got 3 people here sharing my licence information, i have no idea how you got that idea.
                            Guess I had a brain cramp.

I just searched around for the genesis of this issue and was not able to locate it. I was under the impression that multiple entries with the same license information were not allowed when this feature was first enabled. I cannot find any references to that however, so apparently I am mistaken.

-t
                            Tim Hewitt

Comment

• merk
                              • Jul 2001

Originally posted by thewitt

Guess I had a brain cramp.

I just searched around for the genesis of this issue and was not able to locate it. I was under the impression that multiple entries with the same license information were not allowed when this feature was first enabled. I cannot find any references to that however, so apparently I am mistaken.

-t
                              It happens

I get brain cramps alot

But then again, i bull**** alot, so im used to it

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...