• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TECK
    • Dec 2001
    • 3.8.x

Conflict at vBulletin.org site

Hello,

I decided to open this thread with respect for Jelsoft administration and other users who use on a regular basis the vBulletin sites.
    Recently, I posted at vBulletin.org a reply into a thread where I let the users know I managed to implement Sphinx Search with vBulletin 3.7 version.

I also posted that I needed 2 very large board owners as beta testers to try the software and provide feedback how the server performance is, after the modifications. I never mentioned this will a paid service or advertised that there is a product to be sold, now or in the future.

As a result, one of the staff members deleted all my posts and also replied with a condescended message:
    Thread cleaned from all posts discussing TECK's commercial venture.
    He also awarded me 30 points as infraction. While I respect his decision, I wonder why his end message was needed. It did offended me the fact that he removed all my posts while leaving this type of final message. He could it send me a simple private message.

Trying to resolve this issue in a professional manner, I posted a thread in their Feedback forum where I requested politely to have that public staff reply removed. As result, my thread was instantly deleted. I received another message letting me know that staff decisions are final.

I might be wrong but I don't think this is good approach to solve an issue.
    I do not need a moderator or administrator to give me warnings or ban me on a site. It is enough a simple member to request that I desist with something related to the site who might affect him/her in a specific way... I will comply, like I did on the Sphinx Search thread...

I'm not here to discuss Staff decisions, they have the last word, anyways. I simply try to find out if is not better to simply solve those conflicts in a different way. I believe that an open discussion will always help better then constantly closing/deleting threads and hammering infractions from left to right.

Someone who closes/deletes a thread does not have the capability to explain in an intelligent manner their point, or simply does not have the patience to offer the support he/she is hired/requested to perform. That excludes non-related situations (flaming, trolling, etc.)

I was wondering if you could help me understand better this situation.

Regards,

Floren Munteanu
    Floren Munteanu
    Axivo Inc.
    Axivo Searchlight - Turbocharge your web site
  • Comtech
    Banned
    • Nov 2004
    • 3.6.x

You'll need to take this up with the staff of vBulletin.org as this matter does not involve vBulletin.com or any staff members of vBulletin.com. This is the response I expect that you will receive.

Edit: I was correct.

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

Sorry, this is not the place for this discussion. You need to contact the staff at vbulletin.org about this.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• TECK
        • Dec 2001
        • 3.8.x

Thank you, Steve.

I posted this at vBulletin.com because I have the feeling that nobody will listen to me at vBulletin.org site. If they did, they would simply remove that post, as I politely requested. Especially that I apologized publicly to all vBulletin.org members about the post that was interpreted as "commercial request", before all my posts were deleted.

I apologize for the thread intrusion.
        Floren Munteanu
        Axivo Inc.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
          • Jun 2002

If I may be so bold and point out Steve, at some point there may be an issue that gets out of hand and where the vBulletin.org staff may ultimately be biased or unable to properly address the issues or concerns.

I won't say this is one of them, however this in my opinion, clearly demonstrates that vBulletin.org does need to have a liaison from Jelsoft to occasionally sort things out. What happens at vBulletin.org does reflect upon vBulletin.com itself.
          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Comtech
            Banned
            • Nov 2004
            • 3.6.x

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
            I won't say this is one of them, however this in my opinion, clearly demonstrates that vBulletin.org does need to have a liaison from Jelsoft to occasionally sort things out. What happens at vBulletin.org does reflect upon vBulletin.com itself.

It is owned by Jelsoft & is a major part of vBulletin.
            Any comments about the practice of abuse when it comes to moderating/administratorship rights should be a relevant comment/statement for this area.

James at Jelsoft.com is the owner of vBulletin.org so maybe these messages should be sent to him.

Normal company practice however states that you should never step on the foot of other employees or sections of the company. This goes for the majority of companies.
            Last edited by Comtech; Fri 14 Mar '08, 10:54am.

Comment

• Steve Machol
              Former Customer Support Manager
              • Jul 2000

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
              If I may be so bold and point out Steve, at some point there may be an issue that gets out of hand and where the vBulletin.org staff may ultimately be biased or unable to properly address the issues or concerns.

Then it should be reported via the ticket system. This is not the correct place for this. Sorry if that was not clear.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Floris
                • Dec 2001

ManagerJosh; Disputes with Jelsoft staff, and/or official Jelsoft sites shouldn't be discussed in public; that's not the way to do it. Steve's correct to say this is not the place here to discuss this.

TECK; sorry to hear there's a disagreement between the vBorg staff and you. Hopefully you can see their point of view as they can see yours. I recommend if you wish to dispute it to start a support ticket from your members' area, request to have it assigned to either one of the head staff may you wish to report this as a behavior or policy you don't agree to, or to Marco as he's the site coordinator and admin on vBorg who has final say (from what I understand) about matters related to vBorg staff decisions.

I am sure if they believe they are correct that the situation is then clear, and you can't do more but be unhappy with it. Or if it turns out they perhaps misread the situation and for example (not saying they will) undelete the posts and correct it, that is can be resolved that way.

Offtopic; but on every forum where a user disputes staff in public ... I always close and delete their newly created threads and give them an infraction to show the user to calm down and take it private (which I then include in the PM notice). Note that the infraction can be a warning on some sites, depending policy. Additionally, on vBcom here I close those threads with a last note saying to take it private. I don't believe we delete them unless they're quite rude (unlike this one).

In this threads there's not much more our staff can do besides recommeding to indeed take it private. That said; thank you for your feedback. All customer feedback is valued and considered for improvement (both positive and negative feedback) to help better the company, the products and services, and customer services.

Comment

• TECK
                  • Dec 2001
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Floris
                  TECK; sorry to hear there's a disagreement between the vBorg staff and you. Hopefully you can see their point of view as they can see yours. I recommend if you wish to dispute it to start a support ticket from your members' area, request to have it assigned to either one of the head staff may you wish to report this as a behavior or policy you don't agree to, or to Marco as he's the site coordinator and admin on vBorg who has final say (from what I understand) about matters related to vBorg staff decisions.
                  Thank you for the advice. I don't think there is need for a support ticket, you and Steve replied clearly what is the right procedure. However, I guarantee you that none of you (Steve and you) would of delete the posts I made at vBulletin.org site and leave instead a "Boss" message. It shows that your strength in dealing with members is clearly superior, compared to what we encounter at vBulletin.org site. The fact that you discuss openly this matter and address it professionally prove it to me there is a big difference between your staff and the .org one.

I also consider this matter closed. Thank you for your support.
                  Floren Munteanu
                  Axivo Inc.

Comment

• DoE
                    • Sep 2007

I haven't been to vB.org for a long time, nor will I ever go back. When you switch from one forum software (in my case phpbb) to vB and you ask for a little clarification with template handling (because there is a huge difference between the two) and you are told "you have no right to ask for help until you give help" it kind of turns you off (talk about a Catch 22 situation, lol) from not just vB.org, but also vB.com (guilty by association). I stayed with vB software at the time only because I paid for it and wasn't going to throw away my money.

The only saving grace for me is *this* site, here staff and members actually answers questions, and are very helpful. The above para is one reason why I will take the time to write up a piece of code or a template change for new users of vB than direct them to vB.org.
                    Last edited by DoE; Fri 14 Mar '08, 7:55pm. Reason: phone call, lol

Comment

• DelphiVillage
                      • Apr 2002
                      • 4.1.x

hello,

While i did not see the corrosponding thread.If the poster did not advertised the service will be payed (instantly or in the future) then there is no reason at all to delete this person post(s) and leave that message.I think it's a normal thing todo what he did (posting feedback forum to ask explanation)

The mod / admin would thinks a poster has commercial backgrounds should get in touch privately first

I guess all that TECK wanted is a few large vBulletin owners to see how his new script would effect the server(s) performance hmmz he did not did not do anything wrong isn't that what's vbulletin.org all about modifying vBulletin ? I believe it's a poster right to ask for explanation closing every single thread and giving infractions without a real reason makes me think about a 'nazi' moderation style and that will turn against vBulletin sooner or later watch my words

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...