X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PcosKat
    • May 2002
    • 3.7.x

Please create a help section where only vB team members can reply

I've used vBulletin for years. In the past, I've been able to get answer to problems by posting things here on the board. Only on rare occasions do I open a ticket.

Lately, however, there are a number of 'enthusiastic-but-misguided' members responding to posts with MAJOR misinformation. Even worse, they don't even really understand the question...actually I take that back..what's WORSE is that no vB team members jump in to address the question.

I hate to clog up the help ticket system with 'questions', but I'm becoming very frustrated with the board lately...

Again, sorry to complain...I'd rather my post go unanswered for a day or two until a vB team member can get to it, than deal with 8 replies from members who never understood the question in the first place.

Thanks!
  • Mazinger
    • Jul 2005
    • 3.7.x

Support tickets?
    $post[signature]

Comment

• Lynne
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Oct 2004

The problem I see with there being a forum like that is that everyone will just post their questions in that forum. I mean, wouldn't *everyone* like to get an official vb Staff person to answer their question with exactly the right information? OK, not everyone, but really, a lot of people would probably misuse that forum and then Staff here would go crazy with questions that anyone could answer.

I do understand your point. Since anyone can answer, there really is no way to tell if that person is giving a correct answer. I think many users *try* to be correct when they answer, but I'm sure a few of us have given incorrect information when trying to help someone out. Luckily, there is usually some other user who comes around and points out the error of their ways.

I think the best way to ensure an answer from Staff is through a Support Ticket (as all ready mentioned).

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
      vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
      Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
      If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• PcosKat
        • May 2002
        • 3.7.x

I'm aware of the nature of this forum, and I think my point is clear.

I'll leave the decision up to the vBulletin team as to whether or not they want more people opening support tickets, or if a better solution can be found here on the board.

Comment

• Onimua
          • Apr 2005

If you want a reply from staff, just send in a ticket. It's probably faster that way too. I wouldn't worry about "clogging" the ticket system since that's what they're there for.
          Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

• Lpspider
            • Oct 2005
            • 3.6.x

While I'd like to see something like this as well, Lynne is right -everyone would use it. It just wouldn't be efficient.
            Check out my creative writing forum.

Comment

• Floris
              • Dec 2001

I do not see the point of a forum where only the staff can see the thread from the thread starter and the thread starter him/herself. Because only 1 staff member tops takes on a thread, and then the thread + staff reply equals the ticket system.

Comment

• PcosKat
                • May 2002
                • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Floris
                I do not see the point...
                Try. Ok?

Maybe try a different approach, and ask for more clarity...

Please also try to understand the question. I said nothing about who could actually 'see' the posts.

Originally posted by Lpspider
                While I'd like to see something like this as well, Lynne is right -everyone would use it. It just wouldn't be efficient.
                Too few threads (and responses), lately are 'inefficient'.

I don't care WHAT system is in place, as long as I can get answers to questions (clearly, however, that involves peope actually clearly comprehending the question...) Maybe the answer is simply to hire more knowledgeable staff, like Steve and Jake.
                Their level of reponse, and attention to posts is always top notch. Can we get some more like them? You know...staff that at least makes the effort to 'see the point'...

I've been a member here a LONG time, and own a LOT of licenses. This is the first time period, I can honestly say that I've been frustrated with the help boards. To the point of considering looking elsewhere for board software. Not that vB cares about losing one customer...but if I'm not the only one feeling this way about the boards, it's worth at least 'trying' to see 'the point'.

On my largest board, we've had to address a similar issue. There are too many 'overly enthusiastic members' responding to serious questions with 'flip' answers. They don't have the experience to understand the question and/or simply stay quiet and let someone else answer... While I don't run a 'business', my site's credibility rests on a certain level of accuracy of information obtained on the boards. As a result, we're regrouping who can be mods, and keeping a close eye on 'enthusiasts'.

In the past, one thing vBulletin has always had over other platforms, imo, is their customer service. Today, we have a vB where the staff replies with, "I don't see the point"...

What's the point of having this "Suggestions & Feedback" forum if you're not going to at least try (or pretend to try) to understand the 'issue being raised'...
                Last edited by PcosKat; Fri 7 Mar '08, 6:15pm.

Comment

• Floris
                  • Dec 2001

Originally posted by PcosKat
                  I've used vBulletin for years. In the past, I've been able to get answer to problems by posting things here on the board. Only on rare occasions do I open a ticket.

Lately, however, there are a number of 'enthusiastic-but-misguided' members responding to posts with MAJOR misinformation. Even worse, they don't even really understand the question...actually I take that back..what's WORSE is that no vB team members jump in to address the question.

I hate to clog up the help ticket system with 'questions', but I'm becoming very frustrated with the board lately...

Again, sorry to complain...I'd rather my post go unanswered for a day or two until a vB team member can get to it, than deal with 8 replies from members who never understood the question in the first place.

Thanks!
                  We spend as much time on the board as on the ticket system. It's not filling it up at all. To the vB team it does not matter where the question is posted, and we actually prefer if customers user the ticket system.

Again, I don't see it happen that we will get a section where only staff can reply. The ticket system is meant for this.

Comment

• Paul M
                    Former Lead Developer
                    vB.Com & vB.Org
                    • Sep 2004

Using the ticket system is not much help to anyone else - the answer to a question could also help a dozen other people - it cant in the ticket system as no one else sees the question or the answer.
                    Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• Icy
                      • Dec 2005
                      • 3.8.x

I don't mind others answering my questions! If I have a minimum knowledge about what I'm asking then it's not easy for them to misinform me. Again if I got confused then I can always wait for an official answer or use the support ticket system at least!

Comment

• Lynne
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • Oct 2004

PcosKat, what do you hope to accomplish by having a forum where only Staff replies as opposed to using the support ticket system (where only Staff replies)?

(The obvious answer *to me* would be that you are hoping to create a forum of 'answers' to common, or not so common, problems that users can then search. But, then in order for the forum to be useful, you have to force people to use the 'search' function.)

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                        vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                        Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                        If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Shawn Yue
                          Banned
                          • Feb 2008
                          • 3.6.x

SomeTimes Ticket System Is A Good Thing But Slow In Replying

Comment

• Chazel
                            • Nov 2007

I, myself, prefer to use the forum for assistance.

Not only are you saving the developers time, but you might get a faster response if someone who knows the answer (but is not a staff member) can reply to your question.

Comment

• Floris
                              • Dec 2001

Originally posted by Shawn Yue
                              SomeTimes Ticket System Is A Good Thing But Slow In Replying
                              This is incorrect. The response time in the ticket system is quite fast with Jelsoft, our customers can confirm this for you.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...