• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Comtech
    Banned
    • Nov 2004
    • 3.6.x

Is this against the TOS?

Over at vBulletin.org it appears that I am having a conversation with a few people who claim that running a warez site powered by vBulletin is not technically against the TOS of vBulletin.

I on the other hand remember staff members stating any type of warez site is to be considered illegal and breaking of the TOS.

Who is right and who is wrong?

Are there any grey areas?

This is a discussion forum powered by vBulletin. To find out about vBulletin, go to http://www.vbulletin.com/ .
  • Mazinger
    • Jul 2005
    • 3.7.x

AFAIK, vBulletin doesn't care about your forum activity and if the content is legal or not as long as you don't use it to destribute their products illegally.
    $post[signature]

Comment

• Onimua
      • Apr 2005

Closest thing I see right now is this; might be other areas you'd need to read up on:

The Software may not be used for anything that would represent or is associated with an Intellectual Property violation, including, but not limited to, engaging in any activity that infringes or misappropriates the intellectual property rights of others, including copyrights, trademarks, service marks, trade secrets, software piracy, and patents held by individuals, corporations, or other entities.
      Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

• Floris
        • Dec 2001

This is vBulletin.org site feedback, not vBulletin.com - A matter for the vBulletin.org staff to clarify for you.

If vBorg decides discussing piracy or talking to people who run unlicensed is something they do not wish on their site, that's something members should respect.

Comment

• Comtech
          Banned
          • Nov 2004
          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Floris
          This is vBulletin.org site feedback, not vBulletin.com - A matter for the vBulletin.org staff to clarify for you.

If vBorg decides discussing piracy or talking to people who run unlicensed is something they do not wish on their site, that's something members should respect.
          That wasn't the question Floris.

The question was "Is it allowed by the vBulletin TOS, to operate a warez forum?" That was pretty much being debated by a group of pirates who actually are running a warez forum powered by vBulletin.

That is not about vBulletin.org or .com - but rather about the software terms of service.

Comment

• Coreye
            • Jul 2007
            • 3.6.x

Maybe this would be better off in vBulletin Pre-sales Questions. It's not related to the feedback of vBulletin.coms site.
            Twitter | Face Book

OSChat.net - Open Source Chat Software.
            osTicket.com - Open Source Support Ticket Software.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Discussions
              The question was "Is it allowed by the vBulletin TOS, to operate a warez forum?"
              There is no TOS for vBulletin. We are not selling a service. We have an End User License Agreement. That is what they have to follow. It may seem like a minor distinction but it is there and legally the two documents govern different things.

If you think that they are violating the license agreement, then you can report them on the Piracy link and we will investigate.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Lpspider
                • Oct 2005
                • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                There is no TOS for vBulletin. We are not selling a service. We have an End User License Agreement. That is what they have to follow. It may seem like a minor distinction but it is there and legally the two documents govern different things.

If you think that they are violating the license agreement, then you can report them on the Piracy link and we will investigate.
                No offense, but it's a pretty straight-forward question.

Where can I find a link to the End User License Agreement?
                Check out my creative writing forum.

Comment

• Ryan Ashbrook
                  • May 2003

Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...