• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DJ RRebel
    • Jul 2002
    • 3.6.x

Lack of ...

You thought I was going to say communcation weren't you? lol

Anyhow .. the lack of moderation here on the vB forums is really making this place seem less and less professional!

There's too much infantile posting and too much off topic posting. Some is fine, but it's way out of hand and really affecting the integrity of many discussions.

I know everyone here is a paying customer you don't want to upset .. but please realise that many more are frustrated by the results of lack of moderation!

"Inaction is a weapon of mass destruction" - Faithless
    Support the option to have forums in social groups:
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252093
  • simsim
    • Nov 2005
    • 3.6.x

I guess you're talking about the Chit Chat forum? If so, then there's nothing wrong with having such a forum where customers hang out and post off-topic threads AND this in no way affecting the professionalism of these forums as official support forums.
    You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

• Creepshow
      • May 2005
      • 3.5.x

Originally posted by DJ RRebel
      You thought I was going to say communcation weren't you? lol

Anyhow .. the lack of moderation here on the vB forums is really making this place seem less and less professional!

There's too much infantile posting and too much off topic posting. Some is fine, but it's way out of hand and really affecting the integrity of many discussions.

I know everyone here is a paying customer you don't want to upset .. but please realise that many more are frustrated by the results of lack of moderation!

"Inaction is a weapon of mass destruction" - Faithless
      You HAVE to be kidding! If anything, the Chit Chat forum is too strictly moderated.
      "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

• Fusion
        • Aug 2001
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Creepshow
        You HAVE to be kidding! If anything, the Chit Chat forum is too strictly moderated.
        I guess it's in the eyes of the beholder, like all things.
        Toddler from Hell

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

We only moderate the posts that need to be moderated. We actually spend quiet abit of time every day cleaning spam etc from the forums.

Comment

• DJ RRebel
            • Jul 2002
            • 3.6.x

Well .. i'm not talking about chit-chat and I'm not talking about spam.

I'm talking about stuff like where an initial childish comment isn't removed and then there is an onslaught of subsequent off-topic bickering.

Check the 3.7 release discussion over the last couple of days. This certainly is not the first time either. I'm so tired with the excessive off-topicness and rudeness in there at times. The occasional off-topic comment is ok .. as is the occasional sarcastic joke. In moderation it's fine .. but when a significant portion of the discussion starts to be off-topic something should be done.

I'm totally used to people not agreeing with me .. and that's totally fine .. doesn't bother me at all .. but when some of us spend large amount of hours here trying to do my part make vB a better product and I see some members mocking myself or other helpful members it really doesn't inspire me to continue helping at all.
            Support the option to have forums in social groups:
            http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252093

Comment

• Steve Machol
              Former Customer Support Manager
              • Jul 2000

It's always a difficult situation. Personally I have all I can do providing real support and have no time for baby-sitting. The only time I step in is when something is really out-of-hand.

Doing what you suggest would probably require at least 3 more full time staff members just for baby-sitting. It takes a lot more than simply deleting posts. You have to read every post and make difficult judgements on what is over the line and not. Then you have to deal with all the inevitable complaints from people whose posted were deleted or moderated.

All in all I think we do a pretty decent job without increasing staff, increasing the cost of vB to our customers and increasing the anger and disatisfaction that would result from stricter moderation.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Chazel
                • Nov 2007

One thing I seem to notice is a large amount of spam, which usually stays present for a long amount of time, sometimes even four to five hours.

I've noticed that there's a time slot (mostly in the middle of the night) where the forums are unmoderated, or so it seems. Perhaps you should appoint one or two moderators who aren't employed by Jelsoft and at least give them permission to soft-delete post...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...