X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sarthek
    • May 2006

Suggestion for vB forums

Hi,

When I read in forums "troubleshooting", "how to"... I noted that users often do forget (me included) to input which version of vB they run, which version of php and MySql they run..., and sometimes even link to their forums.

Perhaps it wouldn't be bad idea to set in those forums by default additional boxes in editor which would remind by default, that we are to put those data too.

This would save a lot of posts and threads would be cleaner. For example:

---OLD---
    A User: How do I this and that, I can't do this.
    B vBulletin Staff: Which version of forum are you runing?
    A User: 3.6.7
    B vBulletin Staff: Try this and that.
    A User: It's not working, it gives me MySql error.
    B vBulletin Staff: Which version of MySql are you runing?
    A User: 4.0
    B vBulletin Staff: It doesnt work on 4.0, try upgrade to 5.0
    ---END---

---NEW---
    B vBulletin Staff: Upgrade MySql on 5.0 first then try this and that.
    ---END---
    Attached Files
  • Mazinger
    • Jul 2005
    • 3.7.x

Adding this to the support forums would require code modification, or a new code to vBulletin. This is better be added to the ticket system.

Here, custom user fields might do the job.
    $post[signature]

Comment

• ---MAD---
      • Jun 2005
      • 3.8.x

Problem is users dont update their profile often enough, even some staff forget to update their own profile .

Comment

• Sarthek
        • May 2006

I didnt make it clear enough.

Due to the fact many users run (different versions) of applications, I thought it would be better to input it in "message editor" when posting a new thread, and not in profile.
        Last edited by Sarthek; Thu 15 Nov '07, 6:07am. Reason: just same mistake

Comment

• Floris
          • Dec 2001

It would be nice if the 'support forums' where we might want to get customers to provide this info to have a few custom fields for new threads (optional). Perhaps a plugin would make this possible. I know vBcom runs 'default', but I like the idea.

Comment

• MRGTB
            • May 2005

Originally posted by Sarthek
            Hi,

When I read in forums "troubleshooting", "how to"... I noted that users often do forget (me included) to input which version of vB they run, which version of php and MySql they run..., and sometimes even link to their forums.

Perhaps it wouldn't be bad idea to set in those forums by default additional boxes in editor which would remind by default, that we are to put those data too.

This would save a lot of posts and threads would be cleaner. For example:

---OLD---
            B vBulletin Staff: Which version of forum are you runing?
            A User: 3.6.7
            B vBulletin Staff: Try this and that.
            A User: It's not working, it gives me MySql error.
            B vBulletin Staff: Which version of MySql are you runing?
            A User: 4.0
            B vBulletin Staff: It doesnt work on 4.0, try upgrade to 5.0
            ---END---

---NEW---
            B vBulletin Staff: Upgrade MySql on 5.0 first then try this and that.
            ---END---
            Nice idea, but some people prefer to keep there forum URL private, you have to respect there wishes on that if they choose not to enter it. Also not everybody knows what MySQL version there using, even if they do - if there server upgrades without them knowing to a newer version of MySQL, they will be posting faults information.

And servers don't normally email you to tell you they upped the MySQL version there running

Comment

• Sarthek
              • May 2006

Originally posted by MRGTB
              Nice idea, but some people prefer to keep there forum URL private, you have to respect there wishes on that if they choose not to enter it. Also not everybody knows what MySQL version there using, even if they do - if there server upgrades without them knowing to a newer version of MySQL, they will be posting faults information.
              URL could be private or hidden to others, unless user decide not to hide it.

If user doesn't know which version of MySql/php/... is runing, then simple leave the boxes empty and/or choose "unknown".

I don't know for others, but I forgot on this many times in new support thread, especially when posting "in hurry", and that is why I got also solution to my problem latter then should.

If boxes would be to-much-to-work-on, there could be just simple small reminder in new thread:
              Don't forget to put in version of MySql/php/type of server...
              Last edited by Sarthek; Thu 15 Nov '07, 11:02pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...