X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MsJacquiiC
    • Nov 2006
    • 3.8.x

Feedback & Suggestions Regarding BOTM Competition

There's an interesting discussion of sorts going on in the November BOTM Voting thread: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247407

I know it's not the 1st time that such a discussion has taken place, because I know I'm not the 1st person to ever express such a strong-worded feeling about the "contest"

The reason I put "contest" in quotations is because IMHO this past year of voting has become a Popularity Contest, rather than simply being a BOTM competition - And 1st order of contention is a comment recently made that I want to respond to:

These contests are here to pay tribute to those communities that have taken the time, effort and yes even hard earned money (if a person chooses), to create the best looking style for vBulletin on a monthly basis. Content matters very little in this contest, again it is located in the Graphics and Styles section of vBulletin - that alone should give everybody a hint as to what is the main factor to winning BOTM.
    I certainly disagree with this finding AND as such - if the above quoted is the case - I simply suggest the "contest" be renamed to Design of the Month rather than Board of the Month.

In my opinion --- as Webmistress who has spent hours upon hours upon hours doing search engine optimization (prior to our install of vBSEO), promotional endeavors (as seen via our promotional links below) & Administrative duties (keeping the board current with upgrades, etcetera etcetera etcetera) amongst other things --- a Board of the Month contest would specifically address issues of building, sustaining & maintaning a Community AND the Community's content, rather than simply being about "design" - and thus my suggestion to rename the contest - or simply admit that it's a farce.

Promotionals:

CONTENT does indeed matter, for what is a vBulletin-based internet Community without content? I cordially suggest that it's a wasted piece of software. In fact - What is a Board of the Month contest when "Design is the #1 factor of winning" and basically nothing else is taken into consideration?

How would I make BOTM better?
    1. Perhaps there should be a system to be considered for inclusion in the voting poll...

example:
    1. A posts a nomination
    2. B 2nds the nomination
    3. Moderator C examines the forum based to see if it qualifies based on:
      • General appeal of the Community
      • Activity of the Community
      • Number of threads/posts within the Community
      • Etcetera
    4. At the end of nomination period Moderator C opens the voting poll based on order of nomination, order of Moderator approval

That's just one of the ideas I have of how to make the BOTM a valid competition as opposed to simply being a beauty contest tucked back in the bowels of the Templates, Graphics & Styles section of vBulletin.com

I wonder how many agree or have additional suggestions/comments/concerns about the BOTM competition as it is now. I'm sure we all welcome your opinions and such - So post away - and feel free to debate- But let's try to stray away from the name-calling and such that my very own posts have incited in the November Voting Poll.

"Question my skill set perhaps, but never question my heart." -- JacquiiCooke.com
  • Comtech
    Banned
    • Nov 2004
    • 3.6.x

The above quote is only my opinion of what constitutes a win for BOTM.

I take my personal opinion from the fact that it is inside of the Design and Styles section. There really isn't another conclusion that I could have come to. When I vote for BOTM, I only vote for the best looking board - no matter how many members the forum has, or how many topics/posts it may have.

Content does matter. But not in a design contest.

If BOTM is about design then content has no place and to me, BOTM is about design.

I hate it when someone complains because they are not winning. Accept that another site is better than yours if that is what the members here vote and do not demean our vote by preaching that your site is better.

If your site is better then it will win.

I personally think your forum needs help. You are using graphics that look like someone that is new to designing created them. Then to get to the forum content itself I have to wade through five blocks of junk.

First we have the extra large welcome header.
    Next we have the navigation section - which should be at the top of the forum.
    Then we have a search section.
    And then, we have a chatbox.
    Finally we have a quote box.

All of those before you even get to the actual content of your forum. That is terrible design and shows that you need help when it comes to understanding what works and what does not work when creating a forum. The skin itself may not be all that bad, but with all the junk you have before the content - it turns people away.

You wanted to get down and dirty with honesty, well from one Tennessean to another - you have it.
    Last edited by Comtech; Mon 12 Nov '07, 6:53pm.

Comment

• MsJacquiiC
      • Nov 2006
      • 3.8.x

And you eat donkey balls....
      But anyway - neither here nor there....
      So? YOU then agree with the name change to Design of the Month?
      Good then! And honestly - I'm happy to have turned you away from my Membership base - I don't think you'd possibly fit in with our creative crowd - Could be all the carbohydrates and protein you take in from eating the donkey balls.

ALSO - if you don't mind - what is your forum url - perhaps I can critique you so eloquently.

Thanx for commenting,

Jacquii.

"Question my skill set perhaps, but never question my heart." -- JacquiiCooke.com

Comment

• ManagerJosh
        • Jun 2002

This should be discussed over at vBulletin.org and not here.
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
          • Feb 2005
          • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Discussions

Content does matter. But not in a design contest.

If BOTM is about design then content has no place and to me, BOTM is about design.
          Then it should go to the creator of the style, if you go by what you are saying.

This is a suggestion forum and not rip someones work apart. I rather see more strict guidelines and or another for overall design & content by forum members. You can alway ask s.molinari to add another type over BOTM or just make it more strict to qualification on what can be nominated.

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
          It was a suggestion ask, until one post.

Comment

• Floris
            • Dec 2001

And you eat donkey balls....
            I very strongly suggest you refrain from uncalled comments like that. Unless you desire to receive an infraction for your posting behaviour and see these threads closed.

Respect the forum rules, they are here for a reason.

Comment

• MsJacquiiC
              • Nov 2006
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
              Absolutely!

Originally posted by Jose Amaral Rego
              This is a suggestion forum and not rip someones work apart....
              Yeppers - so I thought I'd make a suggestion...
              ACTUALLY thought of another suggestion that would make the BOTM or DOTM (( cheeky grin )) contests more fair = ALLOW votes to be seen by ALL

Originally posted by Floris
              I very strongly suggest you refrain from uncalled comments like that. Unless you desire to receive an infraction for your posting behaviour and see these threads closed.

Respect the forum rules, they are here for a reason.
              My apologies - I will not let that happen again - I was just taken aback that my thread gets flamed by poster #2 practically before I even hit the Submit button....

So yes - Apologies AND understood!

Jacquii.

Comment

• Comtech
                Banned
                • Nov 2004
                • 3.6.x

Originally posted by MsJacquiiC

My apologies - I will not let that happen again - I was just taken aback that my thread gets flamed by poster #2 practically before I even hit the Submit button....

Jacquii.
                So, in other words it is okay for you to attack communities that you have a problem with, but it is not okay for someone to point out what is wrong with your own community?

I wasn't flaming - I was stating the truth.

Flaming is kind of what you have been doing here at BOTM, & over at your own forum. Talking bad about the contest, the posters and some of the previous winners of the BOTM. That shows a childish nature.

Also - This doesn't belong at vBulletin.org as it does not center around the BOTM of vBulletin.org. I'm not even sure it should be allowed on vBulletin.com for the original poster of this thread has shown nothing but disrespect to BOTM and some of the previous winners.

BOTM stands for whatever a person thinks it should stand for. And for me, it is design. To others, it may be about design and content. Very few will ever choose on content alone.

Design is a major factor.
                Content is a secondary factor.

It is like a comic book, you can have the best story in the world and yet have a terrible artist and nobody will ever pick that book up. On the other hand you can have a crappy storyline and a great artist, and the book sells millions.

Create a cool factor and the rest follows in line.
                Last edited by Comtech; Tue 13 Nov '07, 5:34am.

Comment

• Comtech
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2004
                  • 3.6.x

It was a suggestion ask, until one post.
                  Let me see - she quoted something I said and I don't have the right to comment?

In my honest opinion, she is nothing more or less than a trouble maker. Plus she pretty much invited everyone from the BOTM thread over here.

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
                    • Feb 2005
                    • 1.1.x

It still a thread for suggestion and not to vent your views about what you think about another member. I still rather see more 'Best of the Best' what ever prize, then what is now available.

Comment

• Comtech
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2004
                      • 3.6.x

It still a thread for suggestion and not to vent your views about what you think about another member. I still rather see more 'Best of the Best' what ever prize, then what is now available.
                      I really wasn't venting.
                      I only replied as a comment I made was quoted.

Anyways back on topic.

I really see no problem with the way BOTM is being ran or how it has been ran since its conception. Most people really don't have a problem with it either. Only those administrators who want their board to be "seen" would even enter their forum into a contest like this.

Then, when they are being told how their design isn't up to standards they complain. I would like to see a rule where if an administrator complains or attacks previous BOTM winners, and his/her forum is up for votes - that forum gets taken off of the BOTM contest.

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
                        • Feb 2005
                        • 1.1.x

Why did I ever started responding to BOTM , as I do not think I ever cared before... Must be some potshots I was reading and then I got pulled in. Still really need 'Best for Content', but then I should remember why I should stay away from voting.. well I do not need to stay away from voting, just responding in a poll.

Comment

• MsJacquiiC
                          • Nov 2006
                          • 3.8.x

So, in other words it is okay for you to attack communities that you have a problem with, but it is not okay for someone to point out what is wrong with your own community?

I wasn't flaming - I was stating the truth.

Flaming is kind of what you have been doing here at BOTM, & over at your own forum. Talking bad about the contest, the posters and some of the previous winners of the BOTM. That shows a childish nature.

DUDE - I was not attacking anyone's forum - I simply started a conversation about DESIGN and why such a PAID design would make a forum BOTM? YOU on the other hand are flaming like some old southbeach queen - THIS THREAD is about suggesting creative ideas about how to better BOTM "contest" - instead of suggesting ideas you have the audacity to critique my Forum - I didn't ask you to critique a damn thing - How childish is that?!?!?!? Personally I wish you would shut the **** up and stay out of this thread unless you have something constructive to suggest about how to make BOTM a better type of contest that is all-inclusive for the Members that participate.

Speaking of which: http://imaginativeworlds.com/forum/index.php --- Is this your ugly creature? AND have YOU ever participated in BOTM as a "contestant" -- OR are you simply in the business of flaming people with different ideals than yours?

Also - This doesn't belong at vBulletin.org as it does not center around the BOTM of vBulletin.org. I'm not even sure it should be allowed on vBulletin.com for the original poster of this thread has shown nothing but disrespect to BOTM and some of the previous winners.

This is where you ARE wrong - on vB.org there has been a lot of people who have shown distaste for the contest. And a lot more who actually agree with my stance that the BOTM contest is nothing short of a Popularity contest - and especially for vBulletin-themed boards.... There was even one "winner" who (for the reason of entering the contest) wrote "Every other vB forum/board has won at least once, thought Id give it a try" --- That particular board won BOTM on both vB.com AND vB.org = http://www.vbcoderz.com --- Question: Is that board in your opinion "Best of the Best" OR do you need bifocals?

BOTM stands for whatever a person thinks it should stand for. And for me, it is design. To others, it may be about design and content. Very few will ever choose on content alone.

Design is a major factor.
                          Content is a secondary factor.

1st post I wrote:
                          In my opinion a Board of the Month contest would specifically address issues of building, sustaining & maintaning a Community AND the Community's content, rather than simply being about "design" - and thus my suggestion to rename the contest - or simply admit that it's a farce.

Perhaps you don't understand my "issue" at all - Seems you're actually agree that BOTM is in fact a misnomer LOL - And of course in the 1st post I never said anything about design being taken out of the equation - Re-read it and understand...

At anyrate - That's nice. That's the way you feel - Then you have nothing to constructively add to this thread? You like BOTM as it is? Then I will constructively say your point has been made. This thread --- and surely you can read the title --- is entitled Feedback & Suggestions Regarding BOTM Competition. If you have no suggestions of how to better the contest - Then shuddup please!
                          Jacquii.

Comment

• MsJacquiiC
                            • Nov 2006
                            • 3.8.x

Why did I ever started responding to BOTM , as I do not think I ever cared before... Must be some potshots I was reading and then I got pulled in. Still really need 'Best for Content', but then I should remember why I should stay away from voting.. well I do not need to stay away from voting, just responding in a poll.
                            Hmmm - interesting question "Why did I ever start responding to BOTM" ---- I begin to think I should have just shut up - But for some reason my fingers and keyboard didn't quite agree with my brain about the "shut up" factor LOL

Jacquii.

Comment

• MsJacquiiC
                              • Nov 2006
                              • 3.8.x

I would like to see a rule where if an administrator complains or attacks previous BOTM winners, and his/her forum is up for votes - that forum gets taken off of the BOTM contest.
                              Interesting - thanx for adding a suggestion FINALLY
                              At anyrate - generally the only reason someone complains is when there is something genuinely wrong with the system... Mostly the complaint is open for interpretation - which would kinda make your rule suggestion a little silly.

Jacquii.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...