X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SpeedJenkyz
    • Sep 2007

I think

My feedback would be that:

It should state very clearly that these forums are really hard to modify, BEFORE someone buys it. I had no clue how difficult this was until I bought it. Now I am stuck with it and very frustrated. I'm going nowhere fast, and my forum looks like crap

SJ
  • King Kovifor
    • Nov 2004
    • 3.7.x

Originally posted by SpeedJenkyz

It should state very clearly that these forums are really hard to modify, BEFORE someone buys it. I had no clue how difficult this was until I bought it. Now I am stuck with it and very frustrated. I'm going nowhere fast, and my forum looks like crap

SJ
    As with any forum software, it will be hard at first. Once you learn your way around the ACP you can do things very quickly, and designing a style is hard if you don't have any design skills and haven't spent the time to figure out the template system. vBulletin.org can provide you with help you need on modifying your board.

Comment

• Ace
      • Apr 2004
      • 4.2.X

SJ
      Of course something's going to be hard to modify BEFORE you buy it.. you don't even have it yet!

But seriously. I would hazard a guess that 75% of all new vB owners have either destroyed their boards or made them look terrible before learning how things work.
      My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
      vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• Dilly
        • Mar 2005

To be honest I think that's because you are trying to do everything all at once, instead of learning what you are doing slowly.

Comment

• ComputerVitals
          • Oct 2005
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Ace
          Of course something's going to be hard to modify BEFORE you buy it.. you don't even have it yet!

But seriously. I would hazard a guess that 75% of all new vB owners have either destroyed their boards or made them look terrible before learning how things work.
          Jelsoft doesn't sell the product for users to modify, They sell a forum software and support.
          It's like telling a car manufacturer that it isn't easy to modify the engine so they should warn you about that 1st.
          As for the 75% of user destroying their boards. Simple answer to that.
          Backups! Not once, not twice, but 3 times!!
          Set up your site with the defaults, copy the site to a passworded directory. This way if they do destroy the forum, the main running site wont see the harm.

Comment

• SpeedJenkyz
            • Sep 2007

Well I hate it, I hate the blue coloring, I hate how hard it is, I hate when you ask for help and it gets harder after getting the help. I wish someone could do it for me. Oh and I tried VB.org it even more slow than this site

Comment

• Dilly
              • Mar 2005

Like I said, your punching above your weight.

vBulletin itself is not difficult, but you are trying to learn the principles of HTML, CSS and basic programming at the same time. Start slow.

Comment

• SpeedJenkyz
                • Sep 2007

Ok where shall I start then? Honestly it shouldnt be this hard. I am going to waste my year farting around with this stupid coding

DIlly do you have a site, can I see yours? Care to do mine? LOL

Comment

• Andy Huang
                  • Feb 2004

W3schools { http://www.w3schools.com/ } is a wonderful resource for me when I am doing web dev stuff... Not because I don't know HTML or CSS, but because even I still get forgetful when it comes to all the nitty picky little functions they offer.

Unfortunately, HTML and CSS are what powers all webpages, not just vBulletin, and so it really cannot be much simpler than it currently is.

Based on your signature images, my guess is that you already have some what a decent hang on graphics editing; if you don't like the blue, try to slap up some images to replace where the blue gradients are, and then go to Admin CP > Style Manager > <<>> > Main CSS (from pull down menu) and edit the CSS with guide from W3schools and what is currently there. You'll be surprised how much a different look and feel you can get without even having the need to learn HTML
                  Best Regards,
                  Andy Huang

Comment

• ComputerVitals
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 3.8.x

Ok where shall I start then? Honestly it shouldnt be this hard. I am going to waste my year farting around with this stupid coding

DIlly do you have a site, can I see yours? Care to do mine? LOL
                    Start with HTML.
                    Create a new style with no parent. Call it test.
                    This way your orginal style wont get effected.
                    Good place to start would be 3 basic templates.
                    Header
                    Navbar
                    footer

Try editing those templates. Once you get the basic jist of those, then the rest you should be able to look at and find similier coding in the other templates.
                    Also in the style editor, you can change the images and colors without template changing.

Comment

• Floris
                      • Dec 2001

To be honest, vBulletin comes with build in resources, you can simply change the blue color without knowing any CSS or XHTML. You don't have to go through the source code at all. styles & templates > style manager > dropdown: main css

Comment

• Mazinger
                        • Jul 2005
                        • 3.7.x

Don't forget the manual also - it offers very good tutorials for style management.
                        $post[signature]

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                          • Aug 2000

Or you could do a search on Google for "vBulletin Styles" and find one of the thousands of available skins out there that fits your needs. There are a couple hundred skins at www.vbulletin.org as well. You could also find someone that would customize your forums for you.

I have added a note to the manual that a basic knowledge of XHTML and CSS are required to modify the look and feel of the software.
                          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• darkakira
                            • May 2007
                            • 3.6.x

I'd have to say that vbulletin is the BEST forum software I have ever used.

AdminCP is well organized, the software is stable, easy to manage, and just all around great.

Templates can be hard, but there are quite a few easy parts to them. I have done alot of work on vbulletin on several sites including my own. The best to do, as far as styles, is to download one you like, and HEAVILY modify it for your own needs. This is the best way to start, and while modifying, you will learn how vbulletin and its styles work.

Here is my main site that I do MUCH work on. Akarui Japan - Japanese Lovers UNITE!

Comment

• Chousho
                              • Jan 2004
                              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by darkakira
                              Here is my main site that I do MUCH work on. Akarui Japan - Japanese Lovers UNITE!
                              Wow, your site is pretty sweet looking! How much work did it take you to get it to this point?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...