• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ---MAD---
    • Jun 2005
    • 3.8.x

Project Tools

Hello ,

I was wondering why Jelsoft don't use the project tools for suggestions? After all it was designed for bugs, features and tasks.

Thanks
    MAD
  • Fusion
    • Aug 2001
    • 3.8.x

Jusit a guess, but maybe it's because the tools aren't mature enough yet to support discussion in a true sense? The editor seems rather limited afterall.
    Toddler from Hell

Comment

• ---MAD---
      • Jun 2005
      • 3.8.x

Hmm, maybe..

Comment

• Floris
        • Dec 2001

We have a suggestion forum - I will ask Jelsoft to consider moving that to the Project Tools and away from the support forums.

In regards to the discussion feature being limited, I don't agree with that. The quick reply is to leave a comment, there's no real need to turn it into a "thread". It's a comment.

Comment

• ---MAD---
          • Jun 2005
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Floris
          We have a suggestion forum - I will ask Jelsoft to consider moving that to the Project Tools and away from the support forums.
          Ok, please keep us update with what response you get .

Comment

• Fusion
            • Aug 2001
            • 3.8.x

Great! Please keep us aprised.

In regards to the discussion feature being limited, I don't agree with that. The quick reply is to leave a comment, there's no real need to turn it into a "thread". It's a comment.
            True, however feature suggestions could easily turn into a discussion.
            Perhaps an option could be added to branch off in a separate discussion-thread? I'm just mulling over it.
            Toddler from Hell

Comment

• ---MAD---
              • Jun 2005
              • 3.8.x

Thing is when a suggestion thread becomes a discussion, the good ideas get dumped at the bottom never to be found (who will bother going through 30-100 pages of posts to find 3 or 4 good ideas to improve the main suggestion?). Thats why its best to have comments only to improve the idea and not discuss it. In the end the developers choose how to implement it and which bits to implement. If the devs really wanted more suggestions on a certain topic, I am sure they will get plenty of feedback if they made a thread .

Comment

• Floris
                • Dec 2001

The thread author could either update the issue, or the staff will change the status of a ticket.

You can't have it both ways, either it's a thread on the suggestion forum, or a comment to a ticket in the project tools.

I can't keep you guys up to date about the internal discussion. I can only poke the company and ask them to review this request, but it's not my job to post the results.

Comment

• ---MAD---
                  • Jun 2005
                  • 3.8.x

I can't keep you guys up to date about the internal discussion. I can only poke the company and ask them to review this request, but it's not my job to post the results.
                  Ah ok . Thanks for doing this.

Comment

• MJM
                    • Dec 2001

I wouldn't want to see suggestions moved to the project thingy for a several reasons ...

- They don't show up on the forum 'New Posts'
                    The main reason I go to Project Tools is to check for bugs or post a buggy issue. I don't go there as often because I haven't got the time to sift through daily entries.

However I do like to post, read and sometimes comment on suggestions at the forums because, as a customer I find it the most refreshing/looking forward part of the site.

- I much prefer the layout of the forums New Posts/latest forumthreads interface.

- I much prefer the threads preview, where you can actually preview a portion of the post, then the Project Tools preview, which is the Title summary - IF the users has entered one, - or else no preview.

I can see how the Project Tools could be used to delv into the tin-taks of a suggestion under consideration ...

But I guess I'm an old hat in that I haven't really become accustomed to the Project Tools, and also feel that using it at my site would create more confusion by requiring members to learn a new interface, and as such, feel that it would have been more acceptable if it was better integrated into the forum thread interface, along with the enhanced bells and whistles that the addon provides.
                    Mark

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
                      Former vBulletin Developer
                      • Dec 2000

We do currently use the bug tracker for features but its locked to developers because its really just discussion between the developers about implementation. We wouldn't want a discussion interrupted with a post saying "This is cool, please implement it" or something else that could detract from the current discussion.

So that's where a second category would come in, but when the feature gets moved to this second category people would complain that they can't see it unless we left it read only but then people might complain about the way its implemented.

Or people might complain that they don't like the status a feature got.

To be honest it is probably best left in a forum and left to the developers moving them into feature issues where appropriate. That's how it currently happens.
                      Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• ---MAD---
                        • Jun 2005
                        • 3.8.x

Ah. I see what you mean. Thanks for letting us know .

Comment

• FreshFroot_
                          • Jul 2005
                          • 3.8.x

They need to provide more support in the project tools forum Mine thread is still open for a reply and it seems like none of the devs have posted much in the project tools forum.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                            • Aug 2000

Devs don't post much on the forums. They are busy coding.
                            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Removed-836727
                              Banned by User Request
                              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                              Devs don't post much on the forums. They are busy coding.
                              they are caged in the cellar and have to finish the tools

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...