X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AVC
    Banned
    • Mar 2006
    • 3.5.x

MAD, it has been brought up many times before on many forums, not just this forum, if you want to see other threads on other forums I can find all of them for you.

In addition it has been going on since this feature was added a few updates ago.

Comment

• ---MAD---
      • Jun 2005
      • 3.8.x

Ok it just happened to me when replying to a blog.

I took a screenie this time:

Edit: It turned out it did post but the loading thing kept going (no idea why).

Comment

• AVC
        Banned
        • Mar 2006
        • 3.5.x

This is exactly why I disable quick edit, I never use quick reply but I don't see the need for either at this point to be honest, one posting interface is enough for me.

Comment

• MJM
          • Dec 2001

We don't use Quick Reply but use Quick Edit and it is an invaluable time saver at our site, much faster than going Advanced.
          We are particular about editing simple dyslectic spelling mistakes, and our posts often include scientific names that users often need help to be spelled correctly so Quick Edit is used a lot.

It always opens quickly but there are very few times when it hangs on 'Save' -... wheels spins ... and usually re-clicking Save resolves this issue.

Here's another weird thing that happens ... which is why I'm writing.

Infrequently I will Quick Edit a users post (in a thread I have also posted in), and lo and behold, my post is in the users Quick Edit text box.

When this happens I usually think that I have mistakenly edited the wrong post. ... I'll click Save (as there is no Back Button) ... only to be horrified that the users post is gone and mine is there instead!

Fortunately, to date I've been able to retrieve the users post content through the back button, another window open on my computer or by copy/pasting it from a previous post email notification received.
          This has only happened maybe 10 times out of many many hundreds of Quick Edits but it's really freaky when it happens.

I use Safari 1.3.2 (v312.6)
          I suppose I could post this as a potential bug, but it's so infrequent, though just happened to me a few minutes ago.
          I would be really concerned if other members were having the same problem, however they can only edit their own posts, so there should be no way that they would see their own post in another users edit like happens to me.
          I am the only post editorial mod at this point so I really wouldn't know if other mods would be experiencing this problem.
          Mark

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by MJM
            Infrequently I will Quick Edit a users post (in a thread I have also posted in), and lo and behold, my post is in the users Quick Edit text box.

When this happens I usually think that I have mistakenly edited the wrong post. ... I'll click Save (as there is no Back Button) ... only to be horrified that the users post is gone and mine is there instead!
            Not sure how this is happening but clicking Cancel would probably be a better solution than clicking save.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• ---MAD---
              • Jun 2005
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
              Not sure how this is happening but clicking Cancel would probably be a better solution than clicking save.
              Agreed.

Comment

• AVC
                Banned
                • Mar 2006
                • 3.5.x

MJM, if you disable quick edit you will find that using advanced mode is just as fast when editing a post, vB never had it prior to a few updates ago, it never has worked properly.

Do you know how many posts have been lost due to this ??

Comment

• MJM
                  • Dec 2001

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                  Duh, I must have tunnel vision. I've found a new friend.

Originally posted by AVC
                  MJM, if you disable quick edit you will find that using advanced mode is just as fast when editing a post ...
                  Do you know how many posts have been lost due to this ??
                  Quick edit is faster - almost instantaneous whereas advanced has a pause of several seconds, and the speed of Quick Edit is a real timesaver as I do a lot minor spelling editing / text formatting/ IMG linking for our many computer challenged members.

I have never lost any posts but came close to it a couple times.

Anyway, for now I'll attribute this to an infrequent broswer anomaly.
                  Mark

Comment

• MJM
                    • Dec 2001

Okay, now I've found a new problem.
                    Scenario ...
                    I create a post as a work in progress, ie, I submit it then return to it in numerous succession using Quick Edit to add more content.

After doing this repititively a number of times I then find clicking on Quick Edit, the text shown does not have my last edited changes.

Now this is buggy so I have posted about it Here in bugs

I can't risk this happening to other members editing their "works in progress" and will have to turn off Quick Edit reluctantly.

Sorry to detract from your Quick Edit hanging up issue.

I thought my issues might have been vaguely related ... who knows
                    ... but mine is now a "trouble shooting" not .com "Site Feedback" issue.
                    Mark

Comment

• Zachery
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • Jul 2002

Just tested it, the issue did not work like you posted.

Comment

• AVC
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2006
                        • 3.5.x

So if we are having problems with quick edit, why is it even used when it can be completely disabled ??

That is my solution until it is refined and actually works just like advanced mode has always worked.

Comment

• Lottis
                          • Jun 2004
                          • 3.6.x

I just want to confirm that i also had this problem, but now it is fixed.
                          Not quite shure what was wrong. I posted a support ticket.

I also know that two other vBulletin forum, has had the same problem the last days.

Comment

• AVC
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2006
                            • 3.5.x

It's not fixed, it just does not happen every time you use it, this may have something to do with RAM being clogged up since it does not happen every time, maybe when you clear your memory and clean your registry it has an effect on this process.

Comment

• MJM
                              • Dec 2001

The whole point about Quick Edit, (using this as an example), and what I hope becomes part of the progression of improvements in this software and other internet technologies is the improvement in the speed of opening new pages.

These days one of the consequences of spending time on the computer is the amount of time lost waiting for new pages to open up on the screen.
                              A few seconds adds up to minutes every day and hours every week.
                              Yes, and I'm on broadband connection with a reasonably modern computer.

So I applaud any efforts made to help prevent losing precious time in that grey zone where the "wheels" are spinning but going nowhere.

I hope a time will come when we can look back and chuckle at the time it took to navigate and perform various functions at sites like this.

Disabling Quick Edit for me is like losing an hour a week of my other life or getting that much less accomplished at my site.
                              Mark

Comment

• Thalamus
                                • Jun 2005
                                • 3.6.x

I've had this problem on only one of my sites since updating it to 3.6.5 - and then only when I changed the site to a dedicated server. I have 4 other sites with VB all running either 3.6.8 or 3.6.7 RC1, and all these others work fine.

Zachery: you mentioned mod_security - what has this to do with the Quick Reply Save, and if it is an issue, how best to resolve it?

And I can confirm it's certainly not server load - the dedicated server has 4 sites running on it, none of which come anywhere close to the traffic my main site uses. The server itself is more than powerful enough - server load is constantly less than 1.0 based on running 'top' from the CLI, memory usage maximum 40%.

Any suggestions would indeed be welcomed. TIA.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...