Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mazinger
    • Jul 2005
    • 3.7.x

It might be just network issues - I think.
    $post[signature]

Comment

• Head Roller
      • Oct 2005
      • 4.2.X

I just upgraded my board to 3.6.8 today. Now the Quick Edit button does not work at all. We have never had a problem with it until now.

Comment

• Dilly
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by AVC
        Dilly, read the thread over, many have reported this problem in the very thread.

It has been going on for at least a year now !!!

The problem you face is that most people never take the time to report a problem, even when it exists, this is an ongoing one that has been happening for at least a year on vB forums worldwide.
        I don't really care for issues you have on this forum. When someone complains to me about my forum, i'll take action. Until then I couldn't care less.

Comment

• AVC
          Banned
          • Mar 2006
          • 3.5.x

OK Dilly, so why are you posting man ??

Scott, I have no idea how you can see this other than using IE and using the quick reply editing function, no one on this end can duplicate the issue for you, I'm telling you it happens on many forums for at least a year now.

Scott, I have never had the problem in advanced mode ever, only when using quick edit, so there must be a difference in the process within the vB script itself, quick edit versus the "Advanced Posting Interface", you need to find out those differences.
          Last edited by AVC; Mon 13 Aug '07, 6:15am.

Comment

• Dilly
            • Mar 2005

Because you stated that you believed everyone should disable a site feature until a fix is found, and I disagree. This is a discussion forum, is it not?

Comment

• AVC
              Banned
              • Mar 2006
              • 3.5.x

Blaming it on IE7 and those users is a cop out, Nintendo says it never happens in Firefox, so I guess it is incumbent on vB developers to test this module themselves with both browsers.

Dilly, you will never know if posts are lost due to this, most users as I mention will not complain, they will just quit your forums thinking they are not worth the effort due to technical problems and that is YOUR PROBLEM !!!

Comment

• Neal-UK
                • Feb 2004

I'm getting many complaints from one of my sites from people using quick reply and edit of it hanging or double posting. They have to go advanced.
                [URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]Aviation Web[/URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]

Comment

• Dilly
                  • Mar 2005

Dilly, you will never know if posts are lost due to this, most users as I mention will not complain, they will just quit your forums thinking they are not worth the effort due to technical problems and that is YOUR PROBLEM !!!
                  You don't know my members, obviously.

Comment

• pk698
                    • Apr 2003

quick edit has hung on me all the time. I thought it was me, but after reading this thread, I think there is something wrong with it.

I have to click go advance, save, and it will be OK.

What can be causing this?

I have tested on FF, IE6, and safari (PC), it all hangs for me.,

Comment

• Zachery
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • Jul 2002

Do any of you have mod_security on your servers?

Comment

• AVC
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2006
                        • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Neal-UK
                        I'm getting many complaints from one of my sites from people using quick reply and edit of it hanging or double posting. They have to go advanced.
                        The only solution at this point is to disable the quick editing module, then you nor your users have this problem to face, that is what I have done on all of my vB forums, but I still have to suffer the hassle on other forums that have not disabled it, including this one, that is the reason I started this thread.

See this thread, this is not a new issue for vBulletin and has been brought up before on this forum !!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        Last edited by AVC; Tue 14 Aug '07, 5:26am.

Comment

• Zachery
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by AVC
                          The only solution at this point is to disable the quick editing module, then you nor your users have this problem to face, that is what I have done on all of my vB forums, but I still have to suffer the hassle on other forums that have not disabled it, including this one, that is the reason I started this thread.

See this thread, this is not a new issue for vBulletin and has been brought up before on this forum !!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          Most of the users in that thread were having issues with mod_Security preventing the quick reply from working or bad style edits.

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
                            Former vBulletin Developer
                            • Dec 2000

Originally posted by AVC
                            OK Dilly, so why are you posting man ??

Scott, I have no idea how you can see this other than using IE and using the quick reply editing function, no one on this end can duplicate the issue for you, I'm telling you it happens on many forums for at least a year now.

Scott, I have never had the problem in advanced mode ever, only when using quick edit, so there must be a difference in the process within the vB script itself, quick edit versus the "Advanced Posting Interface", you need to find out those differences.
                            Just clicking until it happens isn't really a good explanation. I tried that and it didn't work. You don't need to dupliate it for me but explaining any conditions you think of would help.

Do you get any JavaScript error messages?
                            Does it happen with all posts or just big posts?
                            Does your connection seem slow when its happening or are you being disconnected?
                            Is there anything else you notice when it happens?

QuickEdit makes a request in the background and then super-imposes it on top of the current page. Thats the main difference, if its not making that background request then it may look like nothing it happening. But thats something thats computer or ISP related.
                            Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• AVC
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2006
                              • 3.5.x

Scott, all it does is show the timer spinning and spinning and spinning, the post is never made until you click on "go advanced", then you submit it from there and it posts.

This does not happen every time, for example I quick edited a few posts here today and it worked, maybe it has something to do with the available memory on one's machine (RAM), you would have a much better idea if this is a possibility than I would.

I know it has been a problem since it was introduced, frankly I never liked it from day one, I like it even less since it does not work all the time and has bugs, again, maybe it is a registry cleaning issue or one needs to clear his cookies.

PS: I have never seen an error message, it does not happen every time, I have never been disconnected, users can't control their DSL speed, it changes all the time, many times ATT has network problems that slow things down during peak hours.
                              Last edited by AVC; Tue 14 Aug '07, 6:10pm.

Comment

• ---MAD---
                                • Jun 2005
                                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
                                Just clicking until it happens isn't really a good explanation. I tried that and it didn't work. You don't need to dupliate it for me but explaining any conditions you think of would help.

Does your connection seem slow when its happening or are you being disconnected?

QuickEdit makes a request in the background and then super-imposes it on top of the current page. Thats the main difference, if its not making that background request then it may look like nothing it happening. But thats something thats computer or ISP related.
                                Please note that this is not just quick edit - also quick reply. It doesn't happen all the time, but it happens.
                                None at all. The loading image goes on and on (the one in the quick edit/reply box) but nothing happens.
                                All posts (2 lines etc).
                                Maybe it could be the fact the network slows down for a few seconds, not sure. Usually copying and pasting what you have written then refreshing and posting it again fixes the problem though.
                                Sometimes it actually posts the message but at other times it doesn't.

This happens on this forum as well (for me anyway) but like I said it doesn't happen often which is probably why it was never brought up for ages.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...