Any chance of a price drop in the furture?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lord Dolmus
    • Jan 2007

Any chance of a price drop in the furture?

I'm guessing the answer would be no.
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Considering we've held the low price of 160 for an owned license for a considerable number of years, No.

We're still priced lower than the majority of our competition.

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

We've never raised our prices from when we started in 2000. Given inflation, vB is already less expensive now than in 2000.

And no, I seriuosly doubt there will be price drops in the future.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• ---MAD---
        • Jun 2005
        • 3.8.x

vBulletin is considered quite expensive and I can't think how exactly they sold at 160 dollars in vb 1 or 2 :P.

I don't think a price drop is necessary now though because 3.6 is advanced and by 4.0 it will definitely be worth every cent spent on the product.

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ---MAD---
          vBulletin is considered quite expensive and I can't think how exactly they sold at 160 dollars in vb 1 or 2 :P.

I don't think a price drop is necessary now though because 3.6 is advanced and by 4.0 it will definitely be worth every cent spent on the product.
          uBB was still charging like 600 dollars a license, 160 back in the day was considerably cheap.

Comment

• psalzmann
            • Mar 2004
            • 3.6.x

I would pay at least $200-300 seeing how there is an entire dedicated web site on the internet focusing on add-ons, hacks and new features for this software (which might I add is free).

It's an investment. Either way the site owner gains. Over time perhaps, but ultimately gains either way it's looked at.

I'm not sure I know of any other dedicated firm like vb that provides major / minor version releases for $30 per year. Sure, vb has millions of clients but they had to start somewhere.

Let's take the new Project Tools... software that can stand up against any other great bug tracker software with multiple projects supported... now what blew me away was not all the fancy features of thie add-on for < $100 but one little area I saw .. the patch diff upload file thingy. That is surpurb and is exactly the thing we needed (never saw it working until just yesterday)! One problem of our existing bug tracker is handling patches and giving our clients those necessary patches right away -- the upload diff feature makes this a reality.

$160 is a STEAL.

Comment

• seangworld
              • Jan 2002
              • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Zachery
              We're still priced lower than the majority of our competition.
              vb has competition? really???
              sigpic

Comment

• Grover
                • May 2001
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Lord Dolmus
                I'm guessing the answer would be no.
                A price drop? To be honest I would rather see a price increase really if that would mean a more rapid software development. But maybe the requirement of Jelsoft by Internet Brands will gives us some improvements on that matter.

Anyway... I think vB is very cheap actually for what it/Jelsoft offers.
                How much do you love XenForo?

Comment

• ---MAD---
                  • Jun 2005
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Zachery
                  uBB was still charging like 600 dollars a license, 160 back in the day was considerably cheap.
                  True but thinking of it from someone interested in buying vBulletin's view, 160 is quite a lot to pay for a forum that may get no where and you end up doing nothing with that money you spent. Even leased would be too much.

Obviously if the forum is running successfully and you have software that is free or not as powerful, it is very well worth every cent as you know your board will on grow more and more with what vBulletin will provide over the free software you had.

And off course if you are a big company and you know the forum will be sucessful the first week, vBulletin is a very cheap way to get started .

It just depends where the person interested in buying a vBulletin license stands.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...