X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ---MAD---
    • Jun 2005
    • 3.8.x

Its surprising that a security question overrides PayPal details, cc details, email details etc etc. I think many people will probably get their secret question answer easier than their details as if you want to remember something, it needs to be easy and usually that means guessable if the thief knows you well enough.

I don't think vBulletin customer support is bad though. They are very good, maybe not with dealing with such problems you are as I myself haven't experienced that yet (and hopefully, pray to god never will). As you can see, so many of the support team staff members have replied here, trying to help as best as they can.

Obviously its nice to see security and accounts are taken very seriously and are tough to crack, that is something rare but sometimes over tightened security causes inconvenience.

My suggestion is for you to try everything you can think of that is personal and you would not expect others to know .

Thanks
    MAD

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

It depends on the situation. If someone's email is hacked, then all of that other info can be easily found out. This happens far more than you would imagine and we used to get threatened several times a week because we changed a license even though the person had all this correct info.

That's why we added the security question with the clealy worded warning about how important this is. For some reason people still do not take it seriously.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Floris
        • Dec 2001

Originally posted by MRGTB
        Eh! I didn't get this account I own transfered over to me. I bought it with this account using my credit card.
        In that case it was you who selected the question and set an answer to it.

Originally posted by ---MAD---
        Its surprising that a security question overrides PayPal details, cc details, email details etc etc. I think many people will probably get their secret question answer easier than their details as if you want to remember something, it needs to be easy and usually that means guessable if the thief knows you well enough.

I don't think vBulletin customer support is bad though. They are very good, maybe not with dealing with such problems you are as I myself haven't experienced that yet (and hopefully, pray to god never will). As you can see, so many of the support team staff members have replied here, trying to help as best as they can.

Obviously its nice to see security and accounts are taken very seriously and are tough to crack, that is something rare but sometimes over tightened security causes inconvenience.

My suggestion is for you to try everything you can think of that is personal and you would not expect others to know .

Thanks
        MAD
        You are not required to enter a correct answer to the question. For example, I selected the question "best movie" and i entered as answer <random 16 characters>

Comment

• FreshFroot_
          • Jul 2005
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by ---MAD---

Thanks
          MAD
          I'm surprised too. The 1st licence I bought was off of someone and as far as I remember, I was never asked for a secret question...

I however, bought my other licences afterwards on my own and was asked for my information, which I gave when registering for more licences.

So showing my paypal statment as proof for all my licence's I bought except for one, wouldn't count for me being able to change my security question?

I would think if the old sellers information is on there, that my information would be updated after I bought licences on own afterward..?

Comment

• Colin F
            • May 2004

If a license is transferred to you then it's placed into your account, where you would have to set a security question again.

If you have a specific concern then you're best off opening a support ticket so we can look at it in detail.
            Best Regards
            Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• FreshFroot_
              • Jul 2005
              • 3.8.x

Alright Colin, I'll submit a ticket.

When I got the account, the user just gave me his account. This was a few years ago now, quite awhile back.

Comment

• Floris
                • Dec 2001

Originally posted by FreshFroot_
                Alright Colin, I'll submit a ticket.

When I got the account, the user just gave me his account. This was a few years ago now, quite awhile back.
                That is an invalid transfer, one that breaks our license agreement. The owner has to request a transfer, and we will then review the request and allow it (or not) and complete it for the customer.

Comment

• Michael Blake
                  • Aug 2004
                  • 3.7.x

Last year I transferred my original vb licence and had no problems whatsoever, vb were excellent once I supplied my reason for the transfer, my security info. and details of the new owner. I am very happy that vb treats security so stringently, it gives me confidence in their products.

Best Wishes,
                  Mickey

Comment

• titchpitch
                    • Sep 2006

i need the license :S
                    http://lostsos.com - For all your lost related needs

Comment

• SGohar
                      • Aug 2006
                      • 3.6.x

It is my fault for forgetting the security password, so I apologize for wasting vBulletin's time. I will be refunding the buyer's payment, and keeping the vBulletin license. Thanks for the help Steve. Mods please close the topic.

Comment

• Andy Huang
                        • Feb 2004

Thread closed as per requested by SGohar.

If anyone have any question / concern about their account's secret question / answer pair, please feel free to submit a ticket for us and we will look into working out the solution with you. In most cases, we can resolve the issue together, very rarely do we have people that absolutely cannot confirm their identity as the official license holder
                        Best Regards,
                        Andy Huang

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...