Enforce Apt Thread Titles

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enforce Apt Thread Titles

I often search this forum & .org and find the bulk of Thread Titles are meaningless. This of course greatly discourages most from even bothering to search, who wants to click through 100's of Thread Title like: Help me, Urgent, How Can I etc etc.

Our forum enforces our rule of meaningful Thread Titles and we even have some code to stop many superfluous words from being used. This has the added benefit of being able to weight search results in favor of Thread Titles.

It would nice to have this, or similar done here and .org
  • Colin F
    • May 2004

Since on these forums we're dealing mainly with customers, we try to be as flexible as possible in such matters. And having staff edit thread titles constantly would probably be too much of a hassle and cause confusion.

That said, meaningful thread titles would be nice. Personally if I see something way off then I do edit it, though not as a rule.
    Best Regards
    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• feldon23
      • Nov 2001
      • 3.7.x

Thread Prefixes would help.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin F
        Since on these forums we're dealing mainly with customers, we try to be as flexible as possible in such matters. And having staff edit thread titles constantly would probably be too much of a hassle and cause confusion.

That said, meaningful thread titles would be nice. Personally if I see something way off then I do edit it, though not as a rule.
        Yes, but those who search are also customers. Surely answering the same, or simliar questions day-after-day is more of a hassle than editing a Thread Title.

I think those who use meaningless Thread Titles cause the most confusion and cause it for the masses.

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
          • Feb 2005
          • 1.1.x

vBulletin staff does enough helping the customers. It is up to us customers to use more forum etiquette before starting or replying to a thread.

I myself is in favor of using a prefix system and may see it in next major version release. It does take quite some time off or just simple double click edit, but it falls back to customers to be more descriptive on topic and again new member(s) will not quite understand what terminology to use in thread title. I still once in awhile do this, but only when I am half asleep.

-------------------
          And do agree that it is the Moderates job to fix such thread topics, but I guess this site has its own set of rules to follow.
          Last edited by Jose Amaral Rego; Sat 9 Jun '07, 2:19am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...