How do you search the forums for short terms like "IP"?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • XXP
    • Jan 2007

How do you search the forums for short terms like "IP"?

What's the proper way to search the vB support forums for short terms like "IP"?

Thanks
  • antotony
    • Dec 2006
    • 3.6.x

hmm.. why do you want to do that? I don't think you can view other peoples' IP adresses. Only admins can do that. Sorry mate

Comment

• Dilly
      • Mar 2005

What? He didn't say he wanted to view IP addresses - he wanted to search for the word IP. :?

Anyway, the word IP is not indexed in the databases. It's not efficiently possible to search for that.

Comment

• Cyber Smoke
        • Aug 2004
        • 4.2.X

The forum also hangs on the word "vbulletin", so you cannot use it as a search string for site url's having it as a part of their name
        The specifics of custom design

Comment

• Mazinger
          • Jul 2005
          • 3.7.x

You can use Google to seach this forum:

http://www.google.com.eg/search?hl=ar&q=site%3Avbulletin.com%2Fforum+ip
          $post[signature]

Comment

• XXP
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Dilly
            What? He didn't say he wanted to view IP addresses - he wanted to search for the word IP. :?
            Thanks & correct. My query was for the term "IP". More specifically as in "session IP octet".

It's part of the name of settings in the system so I was hoping that, for such as that anyway, the search restrictions might be overcome.

Re: indexing; thanks for the insight. I understand if they don't want to run straight text searches but perhaps TPTB could whitelist key terms in the system and/or documentation. That would be swell.

Comment

• XXP
              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Mazinger
              Thanks. This is a great tip.

I was a little thrown by the arabic at first so, anyone who follows this, change it to take out the language tag ("hl=ar") to have it search in your default.

Using your tip I was able to go directly to useful info on "session IP octet" -- though it ended up being at the dot-org website.
              www.google.com/search?q=site%3Avbulletin.org+session+ip+octet

Thanks again.
              Last edited by XXP; Sun 27 May '07, 12:13pm.

Comment

• Mazinger
                • Jul 2005
                • 3.7.x

Originally posted by XXP
                I was a little thrown by the arabic at first so, anyone who follows this, change it to take out the language tag ("hl=ar") to have it search in your default.
                Thanks again.
                Yeah. I didn't notice these arabic tags.
                $post[signature]

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...