X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • |Norman|
    • Oct 2006
    • 3.8.x

"Become a vBulletin Expert"

I've a question, or maybe a suggestion: why don't you write a manual for being able with vBulletin systems, code and structures? Right now, if you want become a vB expert, you need to search in all these sites for idications.. and, trust me, it's really hard. So, can you please help us?

Best regards,
    Norman
    *I'm italian, so my english is bad*
  • Mazinger
    • Jul 2005
    • 3.7.x

But I'm not sure how to use/make use of it.
    $post[signature]

Comment

• |Norman|
      • Oct 2006
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Mazinger
      But I'm not sure how to use/make use of it.
      Same problem for me!

Comment

• Floris
        • Dec 2001

We have a manual which will help you get familiar with the features and their options and the functionality of vBulletin. Learn that and you are more then halfway there. To learn how to use the API you have to know basic XHTML/CSS, PHP/MySQL which can be learned from w3c.org, php.net and mysql.org

Most of the admin control panel of vBulletin has admin help, giving additional information or a different phrase to explain it from a different point of view. Reading those from time to time will help you master the forum software.

Of course, the best way to become an expert in vBulletin is to learn from the mistakes; Which you can make by running a community and getting familiar with various hosting situations, various types of community topics and by simply reading up on the answers of other staff here on vBulletin.com

Rewriting the manual for a professional audience will take too much time and feels like re-inventing the wheel. And will add a delay to the development of future versions of Jelsoft products.

As always, if you have any specific questions feel free to post them as a support thread or support ticket. And if they fall outside of Jelsoft support you can try your luck on vBulletin.org with an experienced community on how to modify vBulletin.

Comment

• |Norman|
          • Oct 2006
          • 3.8.x

Thanks for your explicative reply, Floris. I know that the writing of a new manual from zero would need a lot of time, but that's not what I meant. I meant a *guide*: something simple and fast to write. A complete indications list for us that make our learning process more simple and friendly! I don't know if you can understand correctly what I mean. I think that a staff guide to that would be great! Nothing else.

Comment

• Yves R.
            vBulletin QA
            • Nov 2003
            • 5.6.X

mysql.org = dev.mysql.com... good to know that

vBulletin QA - vBulletin Support French - Lead Project Tools developer

Next release? Soon(tm)

Comment

• Marco van Herwaarden
              • Nov 2004
              • 3.8.x

Try the Articles section at vbulletin.org.
              Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
              Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

• harmor
                • Aug 2003

Also note that you cannot just jump in and create a major hack. First practice making custom pages. After you learn how to do that you can split the script so it displays a certain page depending on the URL you type ie. "you_hack?do=loc1" or "you_hack?do=loc2".

Comment

• |Norman|
                  • Oct 2006
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Marco van Herwaarden
                  Try the Articles section at vbulletin.org.
                  I know, but there's not a step by step guide. For example:

Originally posted by Become a vB Expert
                  You should know (X)HTML, CSS, PHP, etc.
                  Then, here: http://, you can find a complete list of vBulletin functions.
                  Now you will have to study this, this, etc..
                  Something like this.

Comment

• Floris
                    • Dec 2001

For those who are interested .. I'm currently working on a page that hopefully explains per button what it does. Making it easier to understand for both mods and members. http://www.vbulletin-tutorials.com/WYSIWYG/

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by |Norman|
                      I know, but there's not a step by step guide. For example:

Something like this.
                      You really can't become an expert at anything simply by reading a guide or a book. It takes a lot of work getting into the guts of it. For vBulletin, this means writing plugins, customizing the heck out of it and moulding it into your own creation. When you can do that and you know the Admin CP completely, then you can call yourself an expert.

A good portion of being an expert on something is knowing where to find the answers. You don't need to know all the answers. Just where to find them at.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• |Norman|
                        • Oct 2006
                        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Floris
                        For those who are interested .. I'm currently working on a page that hopefully explains per button what it does. Making it easier to understand for both mods and members. http://www.vbulletin-tutorials.com/WYSIWYG/
                        Nice work, Floris!

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                        A good portion of being an expert on something is knowing where to find the answers. You don't need to know all the answers. Just where to find them at.
                        This is sure. But a "starting with" guideline could be a big help to beginners, in my opinion. Ok, nothing else to say.
                        Thank you all for your replies.

Comment

• bmc
                          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Floris
                          I really like how you did that, Floris! I'm trying to do something like this, and was wondering how exactly you created this.
                          The Relationship Forum
                          The Relationship Forum is the best online forum for getting advice and help about romantic and non-romantic relationships, dating and marriage advice, and love.

Comment

• Mazinger
                            • Jul 2005
                            • 3.7.x

Yeah. That's nice. I thought it was flash at first. But it appeared to javascript work.

View the source of this page to know how that works.
                            $post[signature]

Comment

• bmc
                              • Apr 2005

I'm wondering whether he used a specific program/application to make it.
                              The Relationship Forum
                              The Relationship Forum is the best online forum for getting advice and help about romantic and non-romantic relationships, dating and marriage advice, and love.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...