X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fusion
    • Aug 2001
    • 3.8.x

Bumping threads

Lately we've seen staff react to what they see as bumping really old threads, or what you may simply call out-of-place responses, by admonishing the user and then closing the thread.

I suggest you implement a site-wide auto-closing of all threads older than X days to avoid this.
    Toddler from Hell
  • Colin F
    • May 2004

There's no such function in vBulletin, and we strive to run as close to original code as possible on this forum.
    Best Regards
    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• Fusion
      • Aug 2001
      • 3.8.x

Sounds like an excellent suggestion to add to a future release then, eh?
      Slinking off to make the suggestion.
      Toddler from Hell

Comment

• Floris
        • Dec 2001

Done here : http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=230812

Comment

• Neal-UK
          • Feb 2004

In my opinion, I see no reason for such an option, nor can I see a problem with someone replying to an old thread if it's a good post and not a load of nonsense which is what is being posted a lot recently in the Chat area on vBulletin. That needs solving first before the "Bumping Threads" issue.

I'd rather people use an existing thread after searching than start a new one without searching. Isn't this what forums are for and causes less confusion?

Also, if someone has e-mail notification on and they haven't been back for a while, it could just make them re-visit and join back in.
          [URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]Aviation Web[/URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]

Comment

• Fusion
            • Aug 2001
            • 3.8.x

True. I guess both approaches has its merits, but I made the suggestion because the approach used at this forum could be percieved in a negative way and nobody wants that.
            Toddler from Hell

Comment

• Ohiosweetheart
              • Dec 2005
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Neal-UK
              In my opinion, I see no reason for such an option, nor can I see a problem with someone replying to an old thread if it's a good post and not a load of nonsense which is what is being posted a lot recently in the Chat area on vBulletin. That needs solving first before the "Bumping Threads" issue.

I'd rather people use an existing thread after searching than start a new one without searching. Isn't this what forums are for and causes less confusion?

Also, if someone has e-mail notification on and they haven't been back for a while, it could just make them re-visit and join back in.
              Couldn't agree more.
              Peggy
              ~ normal is overrated ~

One Buzy Mama!

Comment

• dg0896
                • Apr 2006

There is a mod at vbulletin.org for this, I am using it on my forum and it works great.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by dg0896
                  There is a mod at vbulletin.org for this, I am using it on my forum and it works great.
                  We do not install mods on this site because it would interfere with potential sales. They can also interfere with bug testing and confirmation as well as testing new versions.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Super Cat
                    • Jan 2005
                    • 4.2.X

I use old thread to find solutions without starting threads sometimes. It would be a big mistake to auto close them.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...