X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darkakira
    • May 2007
    • 3.6.x

Display Problems in FireFox 2.0.0.3

Hi. This is a problem many users seem to be having on many vbulletin forums with FireFox and Lolifox.

For reasons unknown to me, lately. there have been many FireFox exclusive issues with vbulletin.

Examples:

In posts, text goes on and tends to trail off outside the table where it is located.

Also, bolded text overlaps the text before it.

Then there is the editor. Standard and WYSIWIG. When typing, the blinking cursor and such doesnt keep up with the text and becomesjarbled, not displaying some characters and such.

These problems occur on this site as well.

Attached are screenshots with all these problems taken while I was posting this message.

Any suggestions on fixing the issue would be nice. There are forums I manage that have this issue. Please let me know if anyone figures it out.
    Attached Files
  • Colin F
    • May 2004

Most likely this is a style issue. Please follow these instructions to verify your license status and then post in the correct forum: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79557

Thanks.
    Best Regards
    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• simsim
      • Nov 2005
      • 3.6.x

Looks like these problems are on your side. I opened all the pages in the screenshots with Firefox 2.0.3 & neither occurred. Maybe there are some issues with Firefox for Mac. I'm using Windows.
      You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

• Onimua
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by darkakira
        Hi. This is a problem many users seem to be having on many vbulletin forums with FireFox and Lolifox.

For reasons unknown to me, lately. there have been many FireFox exclusive issues with vbulletin.

Examples:

In posts, text goes on and tends to trail off outside the table where it is located.

Also, bolded text overlaps the text before it.

Then there is the editor. Standard and WYSIWIG. When typing, the blinking cursor and such doesnt keep up with the text and becomesjarbled, not displaying some characters and such.

These problems occur on this site as well.

Attached are screenshots with all these problems taken while I was posting this message.

Any suggestions on fixing the issue would be nice. There are forums I manage that have this issue. Please let me know if anyone figures it out.
        I never had this problem and I use Firefox as my main browser for both Mac and Windows...

Have you tried using the liquid style? I don't use the fixed width version, so maybe that might be part of it.
        Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

• darkakira
          • May 2007
          • 3.6.x

I do not have a license of my own, I am merely an admin on other sites.

As for style, this is happening on the official vbulletin site as well. I took those screenshots while browsing this site.

Also, it is not just me, many users have asked me about the same thing on various forums. It seems to be something with the latest firefox. It did not used to happen, and it does not happen in Opera or Safari.

I use firefox and lolifox on windows and Mac, It happens on both. Users on win and mac also report this problem. Not all, but alot.

Comment

• Andy Huang
            • Feb 2004

I use firefox on Windows; and it looks fine for me on both fixed and liquid style.

I'd say that the problem you're seeing is most likely caused by a certain common plugin for firefox installed by the user... because it's really hard for something like this to go unnoticed for the mass after all these time...
            Best Regards,
            Andy Huang

Comment

• darkakira
              • May 2007
              • 3.6.x

It's not really. Because it seems to have started with the new 2.0.0.3 version of firefox. And it is not so bad where you'd go and report it at first sign, its just annoying. I thought it was local. But when more users started getting it, I came here. Then I noticed it was happening here.

I believe it is just something with the new firefox and vbulletin software.

Comment

• Floris
                • Dec 2001

It works fine on my mac osx with 2.0.0.3 of firefox, once you have a vb license we can look into your specific forum situation and try to trace them back.

Comment

• darkakira
                  • May 2007
                  • 3.6.x

I don't think everyone realizes. It isnt forum specific. it is in all vbulletin based communities.

The screenshots were from this site.

Comment

• Colin F
                    • May 2004

I can't duplicate this myself, and I've never heard of such problems from anyone else.
                    Have you tried using a different computer to see if this happens there as well?
                    Best Regards
                    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• Andy Huang
                      • Feb 2004

As many of us have mentioned above; none of us could duplicate this issue with the above mentioned configuration. I have personally attempted both browsers on the above mentioned list using Windows XP Pro SP2 and Vista Business; neither of them could reproduce this effect. I've also attempted this on more than two computers... I've, in fact, attempted it on 6 different [IE: not imaged] computers. This leads me to believe that this issue at hand is a computer specific issue on your end, and is most likely caused by plugins on your browser. While most -- if not all -- of us understand that this issue may exist on all instances, including here on vbcom, this issue is not something can be replicated with the above mentioned, and hence cannot be addressed. It is also worth while to note that Jelsoft cannot fix any issue which is caused by post processing of their style by a plugin installed on an user's browser.

One suggestion would be to try to uninstall all your plugins on the above mentioned browsers; and then test to see if the problem still presist. Or even uninstall the browser all together to get a fresh install so that there are no left overs from previous plugin installations.
                      Best Regards,
                      Andy Huang

Comment

• fastforward
                        • Nov 2000

In my experience, these issues are specific to Firefox OS X and themes. I have seen some of those problems myself, particularly the bold text overlaying the preceding character issue.

With the latest OS X optimized build and grApple for UNO, I have no issues.
                        http://britishexpats.com/ - British expatriate community

Comment

• koolkat007
                          • Jun 2007

I have the same problem with Firefox on the Mac. It's been a problem since a long time ago, much before 2.0.0.3 came out. And this has nothing to do with extensions and themes because the same problem occurs even when Firefox is run under safe-mode.

This has nothing to do with vBulletin. I think it has something to do with Firefox confused about the width of certain Chinese characters. It happens every time when I try to enter certain characters, e.g. "你好吗", in any text input (e.g. Google search box), but not with some other characters. If you don't know how to type Chinese, you can just copy those characters and paste them to Google and try to type English letters after them. You'll see the problem.

This only happens with Firefox as far as I know. Safari doesn't have this problem.
                          Last edited by koolkat007; Fri 22 Jun '07, 3:00pm. Reason: more info

Comment

• fastforward
                            • Nov 2000

Originally posted by koolkat007
                            I... this has nothing to do with extensions and themes because the same problem occurs even when Firefox is run under safe-mode.

... I think it has something to do with Firefox confused about the width of certain Chinese characters. It happens every time when I try to enter certain characters, e.g. "ä½*好吗", ...
                            Well given that others see the problem with non-Chinese characters, using your logic, it has nothing to with the width of Chinese characters either.
                            http://britishexpats.com/ - British expatriate community

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by koolkat007
                              I think it has something to do with Firefox confused about the width of certain Chinese characters. It happens every time when I try to enter certain characters, e.g. "你好吗", in any text input (e.g. Google search box), but not with some other characters.
                              Are you sure its not because you're missing a font package or something? I see the proper characters in Firefox under Windows XP.
                              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...