How About Creating A "I've Been Hacked" Forum?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Adrienne
    • Dec 2006

How About Creating A "I've Been Hacked" Forum?

There are so many people reporting that their sites have been hacked, or
    have had hacking attempts, that maybe creating a new forum to address
    this might help consolidate information to make it easier for them to find solutions.
    Maybe call it a Security Issues forum, or something like that.
  • PJAmerica
    • Mar 2007
    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Mrs. Blaileen
    There are so many people reporting that their sites have been hacked, or
    have had hacking attempts, that maybe creating a new forum to address
    this might help consolidate information to make it easier for them to find solutions.
    Maybe call it a Security Issues forum, or something like that.
    That would just give said hackers a more viable place to watch and learn what is what and where.

Comment

• Colin F
      • May 2004

To be honest, the amount of customers that think they were hacked isn't really big compared to the number of other questions we get. In my opinion it's definitely not enough to warrant an own forum.
      Best Regards
      Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• Adrienne
        • Dec 2006

Maybe not such a good idea after all. And I certainly don't want to
        give hackers any kind of an edge.

Comment

• FreshFroot_
          • Jul 2005
          • 3.8.x

Well I haven't seen any boards get hacked lately and if they do, it's usually the users fault. Either they don't update their software and I can't see how you cannot upgrade it? The admincp tells you if a new release is out.

Also addons, some addons have flaws and hackers get through them. However, these days I haven't seen many addons get hacked.

It's all about being smart and planning ahead for security.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
            • Jun 2002

Labeling it a "i've been hacked" forum does not instill customer confidence.
            ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
              • Feb 2005
              • 1.1.x

Most forums are hacked, cause they install a script or addon to or with vBulletin.

Comment

• elliotcroft
                • Jun 2006

It might make people pretend that their forum had been hacked but they realy just want to be the administrator on it.

Comment

• Adrienne
                  • Dec 2006

Originally posted by ManagerJosh

That's the deal breaker right there- nevermind!

Comment

• Eagle Creek
                    • Apr 2003
                    • 3.6.x

And besides.. I think vB itselfs is pretty safe software. It's in most cases a poorly patched and/or configured webserver or 3th party software (at the server)/scripts(plugins at the forum) that caused the problems.

LOL!
                    I can agree with that.
                    That's like walking into a supermarket and the first thing u see is a box that says "put all your complaints about our products in here".
                    http://www.nucia.nl/forum/
                    The best way to kill malware; is to kill it together.

Comment

• eoc_Jason
                      • Dec 2001

Yep, I have to agree with some of the above comments. Usually a hacked forum is not vBulletin's fault. It's usually the admin's incompetence by not updating their forum software, updating or configuring software on their server, or using buggy add-ons.

I try to shy away from user created vB add-ons these days. Most are so poorly coded that I could spend less time writing my own from scratch doing a proper job than trying to fix an existing one someone else slapped together.

Even a popular "SEO" product that people use I found an extremely fatal flaw (allowed you to view any file unparsed on the server readable by the web server). At a minimum a person could easily read the username, pw, and db in the config.php file and connect to the DB remotely if they didn't have a firewall blocking the port. Use your imagination about what else you could do reading any file on a server. But I was kind and reported it to that company without posting any public info as to what or how it was done. After browsing through the code more and finding several more bugs / flaws I finally just said to heck with it and deleted the files.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...