Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikeee
    • Oct 2002

How come some boards dont upgrade?

Im just curious. Why some boards dont upgrade? I've seen some incredibly huge and busy boards still using 2.0. What gives? In my case, Im at 3.57 but just waiting to upgrade the server so I can upgrade to 6. Boggles my mind why anyone wouldnt upgrade, especially these big and busy sites.
  • RichM
    • Jan 2003
    • 4.0.x

They may have third party hacks installed. If their site has a heavy usage of hacks, updating vBulletin to a newer verion may cause complications, especially on sites using older versions of vBulletin.

Others may not upgrade simply because they haven't renewed their licence fee.

Obviously, Jelsoft always recommend that people stay up to date with their software.

Comment

• nexialys
      • May 2004
      • 1.1.x

.. and some will never upgrade because they are happy with the product they have...

remember the guys that collect old cars... they usually have enough money to buy the latest hot car on the market, but they prefer these oldtimers... never know why..
      oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• WurkAnimal
        • Aug 2005
        • 3.5.x

Some people have custom skins installed on their bored. If they upgrade, sometimes it messes the skin up & the skin will need upgrading.

Comment

• Mayers
          • Jul 2004
          • 3.6.x

Also due to tech reasons they are unable to upgrade to vB 3.x. For some sites with a ton of boards they end up breaking on 3.x. It's something I'm sure will be address in vB 4.0 whenever it's time for it to be released.
          Student Zone - A community for students

Comment

• ---MAD---
            • Jun 2005
            • 3.8.x

I believe the 2.x.x version uses up less resources. Some board also dont want all the extra features that are not vital in running a forum .

If you have been to some forums like abc forums (custom made) for example, its very simple but popular .

Comment

• Kathy
              • May 2000
              • 3.8.x

I used 2.XX version until summer of 2005. Then I upgraded to 3.0.X and will not upgrade for another few years.

Why? The entire site has customizations that are not easily moved from version to version. In fact i can't think of anything "out of the box" about my version of vb so the process is not an easy one to upgrade.
              Fan Club member for VBulletin Dev and Support Team ;)

Hysterectomy - GirlsGetGoing.com - Fabulous Fifty

I'm frequently asked about the skin designer for my forums. ForumSkin.com

Comment

• Onimua
                • Apr 2005

Like what? I'm curious.

Ever think of utilizing the plugin system in the future?
                Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...