• Oct 2006

4/5 for interface.

3/5 for features.

2/5 for mods/hacks/themes

1/5 for price

Comment

• Floris
      • Dec 2001

Why do all these large business use IPB?

The same reason a lot use phpBB or UBB or vBulletin. It is what they think they need for their web site.

vB has an impressive list of customers both small companies to corporate, fortune500 and governments.

Comment

• chewbacca
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Warpnow
        1/5 for price
        What's your justification?

Comment

• jeffinj
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Floris
          Why do all these large business use IPB?
          vB has an impressive list of customers both small companies to corporate, fortune500 and governments.
          Fortune 500 & Governments!!! More reasons to be satisfied. I was a happy phpbb user untill I realised that I could no longer write down birthdays of users. I searched for forum softwares and my research ended up rating vB on TOP OF ALL OTHER FORUM PACKAGES. Now IM NOT HAPPY.

HAPPIEST!!

Well done vB Team.
          www.christianforumsite.com
          sigpic

Comment

• Warpnow
            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by chewbacca
            What's your justification?
            The price of the script is cheap for those who intend to draw a profit.

However, the price at the same time ensures that 90% of people running non-profit, non-advert sites can't afford it. They've priced themselves out of what I believe is the more respectable section of forum sites.

Comment

• chewbacca
              • Sep 2004

I see your reasoning, but what would be a better price? I personally don't like having two different license for the same product. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Comment

• Floris
                • Dec 2001

The different pricing is to offer both consumer and companies the ability to choose what fits them best.

A company sometimes has a web site for a meeting, a product or a service. Knowing beforehand it won't be longer than a few months, perhaps 10 or 12 months. The same goes for a consumer who wants to make a web site and test out of a forum would be a success, or because they can't afford the full $160.

They can both choose to go for the $85 value, 12 months leased license.

If they find out within 60 days after purchase that they are this impressed with it and realize that perhaps an owned license, for a longer solution, is more fitting, they can upgrade for $85 to an owned license.

I've always purchased owned licenses, I believe that if you start a web site it should be there forever. However, that does not apply to every web site. So when I quit that web site, I can just use the license for another project.

I believe (I am also a customer) that investing in the $160 pays itself off in the long run; that the owned license is a better solution.

Over the years Jelsoft has developed their software, but it has not gone up in price, but the features, functionality, security and performance has. It should have gone up (in my eyes). So I believe that the price it currently has is very reasonable. I can imagine that Jelsoft might consider for the future to rethink their policy on pricing and offer different solutions. We don't know and will just have to wait and see.

But a few choices leaves both consumer and companies with different options. Allowing them to pick what's best for their situation.

Comment

• Maksa
                  • Sep 2006
                  • 3.6.x

100/5 but it's really hard to earn 165$ but still i love Vbulletin i'll try to earn 30$ so i can update every year
                  Maksazone.com - Poems, Jokes, Love Stories, Shyaries

Comment

• Floris
                    • Dec 2001

Originally posted by Maksa
                    100/5 but it's really hard to earn 165$ but still i love Vbulletin i'll try to earn 30$ so i can update every year
                    Put Yahoo banners or adsense banners from google in the header of your forum to cover those costs perhaps? Or a donate button from paypal in the footer?

Comment

• Quillz
                      • Nov 2004
                      • 5.0.X

I rated it a 4/5 because no software is perfect, including vB.
                      Forums

Comment

• Maksa
                        • Sep 2006
                        • 3.6.x

Put Yahoo banners or adsense banners from google in the header of your forum to cover those costs perhaps? Or a donate button from paypal in the footer?
                        I already have Adsense banner but i hardly get 0.1 or 0.5 per click. so every month i make around 2$ to 5$ (to recive money from adsense i need min 100$) . Paypal donate button will that work? i don't think people will donate anything to me
                        Maksazone.com - Poems, Jokes, Love Stories, Shyaries

Comment

• chewbacca
                          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Floris
                          The different pricing is to offer both consumer and companies the ability to choose what fits them best.
                          I'm sorry we seem to have misunderstandings every time we interact.

I doubt Jelsoft will ever have two separate licenses for the same product (and same ownership time period), but what I was talking about was if there existed a license for non-commercial use (e.g., personal or non-profit) and one for commercial projects (e.g., enterprise).

Comment