Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lee Herron
    • Jun 2001

Performance: 10

I have to say; VB 2.0 is a good piece of work.

I have run a forum since 1996. Beginning with Frontpage 95, then moving on to UBB (when it was free prior to v1) and have run UBB on a shared resource every since. We have over 11,000 members, over 200,000 posts, and get over 20,000 page views a day. UBB was hogging up so many resources that my ISP was turning my scripts off, not to mention the corruptions and membership data losses. After moving to a dedicated server, then moving again to a faster one, UBB proved too poor. This coming from a guy that has liked it for years (licensed copies for 4 years).

I tried: phpBB, phpBoard, WWWThreads (perl) only to find them too slow and too cpu intensive with my site's traffic. TOP: Load avg: 30~40.0 while under a load. Not to mention what was happening to my memory.

vBB v2.0.1 with all mgs and users imported: Load avg: .6~1.2 while under a load. (load: about 40 concurrent users)

Nice work guys.

caraudioforum.com
    - lh
  • MaSTaKiLLaH
    • Oct 2000

What Serverconfig do you have ? CPU ? RAM ?

Comment

• Lee Herron
      • Jun 2001

Right now we are serving the forum up from a Cobalt RaQ4 -- that needs more RAM (currently 128megs).
      - lh

Comment

• Joe
        • May 2000

Not bad for just 128 meg!

BTW, i posted in your forums when you had just a few hundred members, not only did i get great replys, i had a forum member call me to help me install a pair of 8' subs in my truck, great memebers, i forgot his name

Now that your on vB, i'll have to add you to my bookmark list...
        Last edited by Joe; Wed 13 Jun '01, 9:13pm.
        Bike Forums.net

Comment

• Lee Herron
          • Jun 2001

Was just reading some of your threads -- want to do some co-branding myself so I see your points regarding it. Have you thought of using SSI and parsing out the referring URL to point to a snippet to include?

Glad you had good luck with the forum -- yeah, its been around a while -- almost 5 years now.
          - lh

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...