Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr_Butter
    • Apr 2005

Unlicensed users....

Like myself shouldnt be able to read the tech support forums. Why? Because they can easily find answers to their questions about running pirated vbbulletin.

If I was running an illegal version, I am SURE I could find the answer in a few minutes. I'm obviously not, but just saying...we all know many people run it and many people turn here for help (Ironic).

So yeah...if I were you I would make reading threads not allowed for people that arent licensed.

The only reason I can think that you would want it the way it is, is so that possible future customers see your good support, but I'm sure that if they post in the pre-purchase forum many people will back it up saying it's great.

naw mean?

• Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

We've have considered and rejected this suggestion before. The bottom line is that by allwoing people to view the level of support and help they can get is a net positive, not only for our overall business but for the vB Community as a whole.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• COBRAws
      • May 2005
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      We've have considered and rejected this suggestion before. The bottom line is that by allwoing people to view the level of support and help they can get is a net positive, not only for our overall business but for the vB Community as a whole.
      Even that consideration, giving free access to unlicensed members is not a good thing for keeping vB functionality Q&A's away from pirate vb forums Administrators.

But, if Jelsoft believes its better for the business to give access for FREE to NOT LICENSED members, then... well, IMHO the cmpany should slow down all the anti-piracy measures they are trying to achieve

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

Your point doesn't make any sense but you are welcome to it. We have a right to pursue piracy issues and we have the right to show potential customers the extent and depth of the support they can expect to receive.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Paul M
          Former Lead Developer
          vB.Com & vB.Org
          • Sep 2004

People will still find the answers on many other forums.
          Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• Floris
            • Dec 2001

Thanks for the feedback everybody but we've already taken this under consideration and have no plans to change our policy.

Comment

• jonsimmonds
              • Sep 2005
              • 3.5.x

Originally posted by ATI4EVER
              Like myself shouldnt be able to read the tech support forums. Why? Because they can easily find answers to their questions about running pirated vbbulletin.
              Got to disagree with that, if you want to run a free forum (in terms of the script) then you have the choice of phpbb et all

Part of paying for a forum script (i.e vb et all) gives you much better support, coming from the people who coded it, who have a much more indepth knowedge of the way it works etc

Comment

• Zingu
                • May 2003
                • 3.7.x

though I personally would mind it restricted more to licensed users... I agree with teh vbteam on this one (who's responsiblity is to also sell NEW copies).

you can get pirated software or information for it anywhere if someone really wanted to. block out support info only lessens the appeal to new customers. the net positive would far outweigh the negative.

pursue piracy policies and increasing safeties in the software somehow (not that that would STOP anyone) but it may deter or help lessen the effect.

more power to you guys. vbull PWNS all!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...