X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Razasharp
    • Feb 2005
    • 3.7.x

Theres such a section at TAZ which is a great 'unoffical' place to go

However I think such a section here would be very beneficial, to help the vB team better understand big board admins needs.
    What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

• Erwin
      • Jan 2002

I am happy to open such a forum at vBulletin.org (where I am admin) pending approval from Jelsoft of course.

Comment

• Razasharp
        • Feb 2005
        • 3.7.x

No offence Erwin, It's kind of you to offer, but I think it would be nice to have an outlet where prominent vB users can talk directly to the team - if it were on vB.org I don't think things raised would get across to the team as much if say, if it were here.
        What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

• Nombie Wan
          • Apr 2003
          • 3.0.0 'Gold'

The info a forum like this would provide for Jellsoft is reason enough in my mind.

I really don't understand why they don't want to open one. There are a LOT of vB's with > 5 million posts these days, and it's really a whole different app at that level.
          http://www.teamxbox.com

Comment

• Swamper
            • Mar 2001

I agree that this is long overdue!

I'm in the process of moving from vb2.3 to 3.5.4 and re-doing all my hacks... the biggest headache will be to get search as good as I've customized it on vB2 (5.5+ Million posts)

Comment

• Rifleman000
              • May 2005

Agreed, a public accessible, but not writeable forum here would be a great addition for boards already breaking at the seems of current technology to develop further.

A mark would have to be established for entry though, such as 1 million posts, or by posts per week, or some other concrete number for admins to gain access.

Comment

• LeeD
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Rifleman000
                Agreed, a public accessible, but not writeable forum here would be a great addition for boards already breaking at the seems of current technology to develop further.

A mark would have to be established for entry though, such as 1 million posts, or by posts per week, or some other concrete number for admins to gain access.
                Agreed. I would think it could be available to boards with more than 500,000 posts maybe. I would definitely want to be involved as I have three forums of that size wih a fourth on the way, and I am continually working on speed and trying to prepare for the continued growth.
                Crazy $16,000 Contest - Biggest Forum Contest of the Century!

Comment

• George L
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • May 2000
                  • 3.8.x

well my definition of large http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...784#post921784

It's not just size in terms of number of posts, but activity level as well particularly the concurrency level of the forums. i.e. 10,000,000 post forum with only 5 members activity using the forums and searching would have no issues compared to 1,000,000 post forum with 2,500 users trying to view and reply to the same thread at the very same time or 2,500 users trying to search the forums at the very same time - it's all about concurrency for me

vB users online is hard to guage due to cookie timeout out and can only be used as guide in combination with web stats of unique visitor counts as well as the number of mysql concurrent connections to the mysql server.

Personally i'd consider

- a medium large forum as any forum which has 500+ vB users online over default cookie timeout and at least 300-400 mysql concurrent connections (this is usually the threshold where most vB forums are forced to split to more than one dedicated server)
                  - a large forum as 800+ vB users online over default cookie timeout and at least 400-600 mysql concurrent connections
                  - a very large forum as 1,000+ vB users online over default cookie timeout and greater than 600+ mysql concurrent connections
                  :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                  :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                  :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• LeeD
                    • Jun 2004

Very interesting insight George.
                    Crazy $16,000 Contest - Biggest Forum Contest of the Century!

Comment

• telc
                      • Oct 2001
                      • 3.5.x

I am interested in this also.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...