• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigsoccer tech
    • Apr 2000
    • 3.6.x

Suggestion: Forum for Large/Multi-Server VB implementations

Pretty please...
    The BIG Network: Soccer - Aussie Rules - Cricket - Travel - Lacrosse - Music
  • Brains
    • Sep 2003
    • 3.6.x

I'm in... Not to be an "elitest" or anything, but I'd also like to see an appropriate forum description added so people with 50,000 posts don't think their forum is "large" and lower the s/n ratio. Maybe 2 million+ posts, and 500+ concurrent users? Thinking back, that's when we had to start thinking in new ways about resource utilization.

Maybe even be a posting-restricted forum? VB staffers and large forum owners/admins have posting permission, but still publically viewable.

Comment

• David Bott
      • Sep 2001
      • 3.7.x

AVS Forum and TiVo Community Forum would like to concure. We large Vb users really do need a place to chat on topics that are more of an issue to large operations of the Vb platform.

Thank you kindly for the consideration. (Would be nice to get out of it all being in mostly one thread. )
      David Bott
      AVS Forum & DBSTalk Admin
      http://www.avsforum.com
      http://www.dbstalk.com

Comment

• The Prohacker
        • Apr 2001
        • 3.8.x

I agree completely that there needs to be a forum dedicated to larger forums and their issues.

Comment

• Karri
          • Sep 2001

I would like to see this as well. Thanks.
          Thanks,
          Karri

Comment

• Colin F
            • May 2004

I'll bring this up for discussion among staff...
            Best Regards
            Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• RedWingFan
              • Sep 2004

Add my vote as well. I'd regularly browse such a forum area to see if there are any tips I could pick up. Much easier than wading through a lot of issues that come up on smaller forums and not knowing if they apply.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                • Jun 2002

Or maybe even some codehacks that can help achieve better multi-server implementations.
                ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• RedWingFan
                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                  Or maybe even some codehacks that can help achieve better multi-server implementations.
                  A companion "Large Forums" section over at vb.org would be ideal. I know how the vB staff feels about modifications to the code--it would be their call on what they would/would not allow in terms of modified code in this section. Good thing is, if posted here, they might see one of our hacks and implement it in the final version.

Originally posted by Brains
                  I'm in... Not to be an "elitest" or anything, but I'd also like to see an appropriate forum description added so people with 50,000 posts don't think their forum is "large" and lower the s/n ratio. Maybe 2 million+ posts, and 500+ concurrent users? Thinking back, that's when we had to start thinking in new ways about resource utilization.
                  We hit our brick wall on our old dedicated server when we were around 1 million posts, but only had maybe 350-400 users online. We're on the new server now, but hitting the wall with 1.5 million posts and 500-600 users online. We're tweaking things and considering archiving old posts, which will help, but I feel that once you're on a dedicated server, you're already "big board" material, in that you're using too many resources to be in a shared hosting environment, and you forsee growth potential. With dedicated hosting, too, we have more options available to configure our own settings (like my.cnf), where under a shared hosting arrangement, we are pretty much locked into standard settings our host offers us.

IOW, we may not want hard limits to determine what constitutes a larger forum, but you're right--we also don't want someone with a small forum on a shared server posting here, even if the reason is that there is not much we can offer in the way of advice!

Comment

• kerplunk
                    • Aug 2002

I would love to see this forum added also.

Comment

• alexi
                      • Mar 2001

I think this is a great idea
                      Webmaster in charge of technical stuff and taking out the trash. www.disboards.com, www.wdwinfo.com
                      www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com and a few others I am forgetting!

Comment

• Creepshow
                        • May 2005
                        • 3.5.x

Good idea. Count my vote.

Although I'm not holding my breath.
                        "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

• bmanz
                          • Jan 2005

great idear.
                          and i vote yes

Comment

• KrON
                            • Jan 2002
                            • 3.6.x

#4 chimes in with a pretty please!
                            Kyle Christensen
                            PbNation.com - one of the biggest and busiest vbulletin forums on the net!

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
                              Former vBulletin Developer
                              • Dec 2000

John has brought the topic up and we're still trying to decide what to do, should we provide a private forum for larger boards and post code hacks / modifications to let them try performance things out or a public forum.

The problem with the public forum is that posting changes would violate our own posting rules of no code hacks

Maybe a public forum and then a sub forum for modifications.
                              Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...