X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • petesmc
    • Jan 2001

Developement Question:

Hi,

I was really wondering something about the developement of vBulletin. It is most likely that you wouldn't like to answer this question in public (pm me) or private, but I'm still going to ask.

How to you manage developing vBulletin. In this, are the files stored on a main server and all the developers constantly sync them? Or do you developers have to edit everything online?

How does it work?

I'd really like to know as I'm beginning to work on my project involving more than one php programmer and it'd create confusion if we all started editing different files at the same time.

Thanks
    Peter
  • Oasis
    • May 2001

They probably use CVS.

Comment

• petesmc
      • Jan 2001

What is CVS?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

CVS = Code Versioning System.

It is a set of scripts that allows you maintain one code base with multiple programmers. Usually you check a file out and this means only one developer can work on it at a time. When that person is done with it, then they "check it in". This makes the new code available to the other developers.

The best part about it is if you make changes that damage the code, you can roll it back to a previous version.

SourceForge works on this premise as well as the PHP developers. If you do a search on most software sites for CVS you will get several solutions. Most offer Unix hosting with Integration with Windows Clients.

An example of a Commercial CVS product is Visual Source Safe from Microsoft.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• petesmc
          • Jan 2001

HI,

Thanks for that, I may have to get one now...or maybe I can just email the other people telling them not to work on that page.

-Peter

Comment

• Mike Sullivan
            Former vBulletin Developer
            • Apr 2000
            • 3.6.x

Comment

• jojo85
              • Jan 2001

So do you use cvs vbulletin's team?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...