Lock most of the forums to unlicensed users?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • free thinker
    • May 2005

Originally posted by MrNase
    Hm.. true

I doubt it.. Most of them have 2 postings or even less
    Most people with a license have 100 or more posts their first week LOL. At least I did.

Comment

• harmor
      • Aug 2003

Well I'm an unlicensed member but I have a suggestion.

If possible you could set a limit on how many threads the member can view before being denied access to that forum.

I know that more php has to be coded in the bulletin board software and may prolong the time which 3.5 gets released.

Comment

• Floris
        • Dec 2001

No, there is no feature to do this, and I doubt we will implement it. I see no real use in giving unlicensed users access to a forum for only x days or y posts.

I really believe it is best to give read-access for unlicensed users (customers and none customers) and limit posting access to licensed customers only in particular forums.

To be honest, this has been a very interesting thread to read and I have been following it since the start. The staff has also been discussing the suggestions, feedback (positive ones and negative ones) and we've applied some permission changes here and there.

Comment

• Black Tiger
          • Mar 2001

and limit posting access to licensed customers only in particular forums.
          Excuse me? Can you explain this? You want to limit posting access to licensed customers? Which particulier forums did you have in mind and why should licensed customers be limited to post? Except for maybe anouncement an moderator forums and that kind of stuff.
          Greetings, Black Tiger

Comment

• Colin F
            • May 2004

You misunderstood that.

It's meant to be read as "so that only licensed customers can post".
            Best Regards
            Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• Black Tiger
              • Mar 2001

Ah indeed, there should be a comma, i read it as 1 sentence in stead of... well I understand now, sorry! Thanks for the tip Colin F!
              In that case I completely agree with Floris how it should be done.
              Greetings, Black Tiger

Comment

• Floris
                • Dec 2001

My egnlish very godd is!

Comment

• RagingPenguin
                  • Apr 2004

The only thing I have to add to this would be a reformation of an earlier suggestion I had. Considering that newer license holders typically do not have a complete working knowledge of the system, and often ask questions themselves, why not split the licensed members into two groups, where the default license holder group is the same as it is now, only without post access to the pre-sales forum, and the other, reachable by promotion after 1 year as a license holder, will give that right back to them. My reasoning is this: Unlicensed users should be able to ask questions, but only have experienced license holders or staff reply. Once a user has bought their first license, they really have no business posting answers to presales questions as they are more than likely to answer wrongly. Give that right back after a years time in order that they can get the experience they need. If not, that's fine too. Nothing really seems "broken" with the system as it is now. It's merely a suggestion.

Comment

• Colin F
                    • May 2004

If something like that is implemented, I hope it'd be refined a bit...
                    I also think that it could cause some confusion.
                    Best Regards
                    Colin Frei

Comment

• RagingPenguin
                      • Apr 2004

Yeah. Anothing I considered was this: why shouldn't all users see the little "Licensed" and "Unlicensed" indicators that mods see. We'd all know the status of a user right off, eliminating assumption and guesswork. How many threads have been closed now after tons of people replied, and the mod discovered the original postee was unlicensed? Anyway, if we could see those indicators, then we'd see any used to mark us as "Experienced" as well. That would solve both areas of confusion at once.

Comment

• Colin F
                        • May 2004

It's generally stated that the unlicensed status isn't shown to regular users due to privacy reasons.
                        Best Regards
                        Colin Frei

Comment

• spence
                          • Jun 2002

Originally posted by MrNase
                          Well here we go: Iam tired of those coming to vBulletin.com just to find answers to their HTML, PHP, .. questions.. They register for like one thread and never come back

vBulletin.com is (it used to be at least) a place for customers.. I understand that certain areas have to be open for all registered users but I think most of the current forums can be locked for them.

Let's take 'General' for example: All forums but Chit Chat and A place to test things out provide a very good support..
                          Why shall users without a license get a piece of the pie?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to codemn all users who can't afford a license or don't have one for different reason but there are plenty webmaster communities out there where they could get help.
                          No one ... staff or members ... are obligated reply to any questions posted by unlicensed users except regarding pre-sales questions, of course.

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding how this impacts licensed users. If Jelsoft wanted to include a forum called "gardening tips" why should I care? It's their dime, not mine.

Last edited by spence; Mon 22 Aug '05, 6:12am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...