Lock most of the forums to unlicensed users?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrNase
    • Jun 2003
    • 3.8.x

Lock most of the forums to unlicensed users?

Well here we go: Iam tired of those coming to vBulletin.com just to find answers to their HTML, PHP, .. questions.. They register for like one thread and never come back

vBulletin.com is (it used to be at least) a place for customers.. I understand that certain areas have to be open for all registered users but I think most of the current forums can be locked for them.

Let's take 'General' for example: All forums but Chit Chat and A place to test things out provide a very good support..
    Why shall users without a license get a piece of the pie?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to codemn all users who can't afford a license or don't have one for different reason but there are plenty webmaster communities out there where they could get help.
    That's the end of that!
  • Creepshow
    • May 2005
    • 3.5.x

Originally posted by MrNase
    Well here we go: Iam tired of those coming to vBulletin.com just to find answers to their HTML, PHP, .. questions.. They register for like one thread and never come back

vBulletin.com is (it used to be at least) a place for customers.. I understand that certain areas have to be open for all registered users but I think most of the current forums can be locked for them.

Let's take 'General' for example: All forums but Chit Chat and A place to test things out provide a very good support..
    Why shall users without a license get a piece of the pie?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to codemn all users who can't afford a license or don't have one for different reason but there are plenty webmaster communities out there where they could get help.
    I agree. Customers should be top priority no matter what.
    "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

• Bulent Tekcan
      • Feb 2003
      • 4.2.x

I suggested before that http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128112

Yes I agree some area close for non-customer,and also close BBCODE (php,html etc.)

Cheers

Comment

• MGM
        • Aug 2002
        • 3.6.x

I agree as well. There should also be more strict rules against providing help in forums that ARE accessible to everyone

MGM out

Comment

• _| () R | Z
          • Oct 2002

personally, if i would like to buy a license i would first like to see how i will be treated/helped in the forums. for example i and everybody that doesnt have a invisionboard license will not know how the help on their support forums is because you cant view threads.
          Originally Posted by Zachery
          John originally presented vBulletin to Infopop, they didn't take it, so he took it and sold it

Originally Posted by Martin
          We had to do a lot of arm twisting to get him to do it, though. I would imagine he still hates us.

Comment

• MGM
            • Aug 2002
            • 3.6.x

Originally posted by _| () R | Z
            personally, if i would like to buy a license i would first like to see how i will be treated/helped in the forums. for example i and everybody that doesnt have a invisionboard license will not know how the help on their support forums is because you cant view threads.
            I believe they should be able to SEE the threads but not post anything of their own. This way, they can see just how fast and helpful the staff is and decide on that.

MGM out

Comment

• MrNase
              • Jun 2003
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by MGM
              I believe they should be able to SEE the threads but not post anything of their own. This way, they can see just how fast and helpful the staff is and decide on that.

MGM out

Yes, they should be able to see them..

Nase out
              That's the end of that!

Comment

• nymka
                • Aug 2005

I think even non costumer members should be able to see every forum so they can see what they will have after they get their license

Comment

• Onimua
                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by nymka
                  I think even non costumer members should be able to see every forum so they can see what they will have after they get their license
                  That's what was agreed on above.

But customers shouldbe the only one to receive help in other areas, not just particularly with vBulletin. They can see, just can't reply or start their own thread.
                  Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

• Floris
                    • Dec 2001

There are enough guests online that don't go to priority support because they get enough help using the search feature and reading existing threads. Unfortunatly unlicensed customers can also do this, we shoot them with apples and poke them with sticks.

Comment

• MrNase
                      • Jun 2003
                      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Floris
                      There are enough guests online that don't go to priority support because they get enough help using the search feature and reading existing threads. Unfortunatly unlicensed customers can also do this, we shoot them with apples and poke them with sticks.

Sorry, I don't understand your question and I don't understand what this has to do with my request..

I don't care if unlicensed users search the forums and still get support just from reading the threads..

Iam highly annoyed by those who see vBulletin.com as a fountain of knowledge for all their HTML, PHP, ... problems.. They open a new thread, ask a question and they are gone without a 'thank you' or something else.

Because of this, I think they should not be able to post or open a new thread in most of the vBulletin.com forums.. This would also resolve the spam problem because no customer will ever spam this forums
                      That's the end of that!

Comment

• _| () R | Z
                        • Oct 2002

Iam highly annoyed by those who see vBulletin.com as a fountain of knowledge for all their HTML, PHP, ... problems.. They open a new thread, ask a question and they are gone without a 'thank you' or something else.
                        so how can you be so sure that all those people dont have a license
                        John originally presented vBulletin to Infopop, they didn't take it, so he took it and sold it

We had to do a lot of arm twisting to get him to do it, though. I would imagine he still hates us.

Comment

• MrNase
                          • Jun 2003
                          • 3.8.x

Hm.. true

I doubt it.. Most of them have 2 postings or even less
                          That's the end of that!

Comment

• _| () R | Z
                            • Oct 2002

Hm.. true

I doubt it.. Most of them have 2 postings or even less
                            so what about me?

Comment

• MGM
                              • Aug 2002
                              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by _| () R | Z
                              so how can you be so sure that all those people dont have a license
                              That's exactly the point. We don't. But by limiting who can post threads then we'll always know.

MGM out

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...