Lock most of the forums to unlicensed users?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bad_i_BILL
    • May 2004
    • 1.1.x

Perhaps.....

Only ONE section for non licensed members?

Also that area should be low on the priority list. Just my opinion.

Comment

• Creepshow
      • May 2005
      • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Bad_i_BILL
      Perhaps.....

Only ONE section for non licensed members?

Also that area should be low on the priority list. Just my opinion.
      I agree. Good idea.
      "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

• Mike Aurelius
        • Jul 2004

Well - here's a case to consider - I've not had to use the forums much, mainly because we've had a fairly smooth lake to sail in - BUT, one of my moderator team had a question that we couldn't answer about Vbulletin - since he's not a "registered user of VBulletin" would you lock him out, even though he's got access to the source code for making mods on a licensed installation?

Would you require that ONLY the member who has the license (in his or her name) be the one to ask questions?

That's not very fair sounding to me. I'd expect that my 'designated coder' would have the same access as I do...but, that's just me, I guess.

Comment

• Bad_i_BILL
          • May 2004
          • 1.1.x

Each license holder can add a couple more people to their account to gain access to help here.

That does NOT give them access to your download & license areas.
          I feel it is very fair that up to 3 or 4 people can use these help forums per license.

Comment

• C_P
            • Aug 2004

I came to vB because of the access and help I received well before making my choice to purchase a license. I asked the same questions at multiple boards and the best response and help I found as well as access prior to purchasing was vB.
            "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" I would hope we do not hinder the help here by limiting even further down the access.
            We do not want to become a Invision Board lack of help site for all, do we?

Just my cheap nickel.

Comment

• MGM
              • Aug 2002
              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Mike Aurelius
              Well - here's a case to consider - I've not had to use the forums much, mainly because we've had a fairly smooth lake to sail in - BUT, one of my moderator team had a question that we couldn't answer about Vbulletin - since he's not a "registered user of VBulletin" would you lock him out, even though he's got access to the source code for making mods on a licensed installation?

Would you require that ONLY the member who has the license (in his or her name) be the one to ask questions?

That's not very fair sounding to me. I'd expect that my 'designated coder' would have the same access as I do...but, that's just me, I guess.
              Add them to your priority support list.

Originally posted by C_P
              I came to vB because of the access and help I received well before making my choice to purchase a license. I asked the same questions at multiple boards and the best response and help I found as well as access prior to purchasing was vB.
              "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" I would hope we do not hinder the help here by limiting even further down the access.
              We do not want to become a Invision Board lack of help site for all, do we?

Just my cheap nickel.
              We only want to limit it as far as non-customers. If you own a copy of vBulletin, you'll have all of the help you'll ever need here. If you dont, then why should we help you? There are thousands of other forums that have better help for issues like HTML, CSS, PHP, etc. And if you want vBulletin help, then be sure you have everything setup correctly, otherwise we wont help you. And I see no reason why we should...

If guests can READ the threads, then shouldn't that be enough to show them how helpful we are?

BTW, when I say "you" above I'm speaking in general terms, not pointing you out or anything

Comment

• MrNase
                • Jun 2003
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by MGM
                We only want to limit it as far as non-customers. If you own a copy of vBulletin, you'll have all of the help you'll ever need here. If you dont, then why should we help you? There are thousands of other forums that have better help for issues like HTML, CSS, PHP, etc. And if you want vBulletin help, then be sure you have everything setup correctly, otherwise we wont help you. And I see no reason why we should...

If guests can READ the threads, then shouldn't that be enough to show them how helpful we are?

BTW, when I say "you" above I'm speaking in general terms, not pointing you out or anything
                That's the point!

I would love to see an official comment on this
                That's the end of that!

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  Former Customer Support Manager
                  • Jul 2000

For now, the PHP, MySQL and HTML forums have been restricted to licensed members only. We'll see how it ggoes.

Our feeling is that these are the vB forums and not designed to be for general purpose PHP, MySQL and HTML support. There are other sites that are far more suitable for this task.
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Scootertaj
                    • Dec 2004

Ugg... that is why I was getting the "permission denied" thing when trying to HELP in the HTML forums....
                    Personally, for that exact reason, I think it should be changed back.
                    *goes off to pm my help*

Comment

• MGM
                      • Aug 2002
                      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Scootertaj
                      Ugg... that is why I was getting the "permission denied" thing when trying to HELP in the HTML forums....
                      Personally, for that exact reason, I think it should be changed back.
                      *goes off to pm my help*
                      If you dont own a license then why post here? There are hundreds of other places you can "help" people out at, no point at all in doing it at a support forum for a forum script/software.

MGM out

Comment

• Scootertaj
                        • Dec 2004

If you dont own a license then why post here?
                        That is a good question. I first came here because I was thinking of getting vBulletin. After some thinking, I decided not to get it. But I decided to stick around in the chit chat forum, and help some people in the HTML forum. I also help in other forums, but the problems here are much easier .
                        I'm sorry for helping people MGM...

Comment

• Steve Machol
                          Former Customer Support Manager
                          • Jul 2000

Update: We've reset this to allow non-licensed members to post in the HTML forum.
                          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Scootertaj
                            • Dec 2004

Appreciated Steve

Comment

• MGM
                              • Aug 2002
                              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Scootertaj
                              That is a good question. I first came here because I was thinking of getting vBulletin. After some thinking, I decided not to get it. But I decided to stick around in the chit chat forum, and help some people in the HTML forum. I also help in other forums, but the problems here are much easier .
                              I'm sorry for helping people MGM...
                              Thing is, this forum is NOT an html help forum or php help forum. I had the impression it was supposed to be a vBulletin support forum, and if somebody doesn't own vBulletin (and does not wish to purchase it), then why are they here? I've said it a couple of times now: There are hundreds of other forums dedicated to HTML help, PHP help, etc. If you want to provide that can't help, why not there, where it is more... fitting?

MGM out

Comment

• Andrew111888
                                • Mar 2003

Why not allow unlicensed users to reply to threads in HTML/PHP/MySQL forums (as in they know the answer, they can reply) but cannot create new threads?

While that may seem unfair to be able to help and not receive it, they don't have to help if they don't want to .

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...