X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VAN
    • Feb 2001

Three words for you......

Web safe colors!

I just had the displeasure of surfing the net on one of my older office pc's (256 color display) and the vB site is gray as gray can be, not purple as intended. Looks like #666699 is the closest you'll get though. You may be surprised how many people surf with older monitors, or "accidentally" set their displays to 256 color and forget how to change it back.
  • Menno
    • Apr 2000

just one problem: Most websafe colors suck.
    - Insert viable disclaimer here -

ArtBeast!

Comment

• George L
      Former vBulletin Support
      • May 2000
      • 3.8.x

yeah my site looks awful in web safe colours luckity a high majority of web surfers are on good video/monitors
      :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
      :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• tubedogg
        • Feb 2001

I usually don't care about web-safe colors, but when I was desiging my weblog I was using colorlab and so I ended up with all websafe colors by default. But I think it looks good!

Comment

• Menno
          • Apr 2000

I'm not saying they can't be good, but websave colors limit your options enormously. After all, the most subtle color difference can change the mood of your site.

ArtBeast!

Comment

• JamesUS
            • Aug 2000

I have recently been forced to browse in 256 colors due to an unfortunate accident with my AGP slot.
            And the vB site doesn't look too bad really. The only button which is still Purple is Closed Thread, not sure why. The vB logo's bg at the top is purple but the area to the right of it above fivelinks is grey.
            This gives the impression that different color codes have been used?

Comment

• JimF
              • May 2000

Originally posted by JamesUS
              I have recently been forced to browse in 256 colors due to an unfortunate accident with my AGP slot.
              Am I the only one who is dying to know what happened? I hope it wasn't too serious...

-jim

Comment

• Nicholas Brown
                • Oct 2000
                • 1.1.x

James, you shouldn't pour treacle into that slot! Its for graphics cards only!

When your PC is hungry for something, you usually give it memory or expansion cards - not sticky food

Comment

• Jose
                  • Feb 2001

Web Safe Colors

Although web safe colors may seem dull, they are there for a reason.
                  It insures that the colors you pick will seem the same on anyone's
                  monitor. When you move away from web safe colors, you end
                  up pleasing yourself and not having a consistent look on all
                  monitors across the web. Basically, not using web safe colors
                  is like playing with yourself. Only you can share in the pleasure of
                  the colors you pick.

All web design books stress web safe colors, as you may not like the
                  results on other's screens if you don't. Use colors at your own risk.

Comment

• JamesUS
                    • Aug 2000

Well it went like this...
                    One day a month or so ago I was upgrading my RAM. I'd just got a brand new 256mb Crucial DIMM to add to my collection. So I opened the PC up and headed straight for the RAM slots. I see that to get to the RAM slots properly I need to take the graphics card out (I haven't done a RAM upgrade on this PC before, it is brand new). So as I'm removing my AGP card I hear a crack, upon further investigation the slot was poorly manufactured and the back of the slot had cracked and come off
                    I tried for a few hours to repair the thing but it didn't help
                    I then went into my Linux box and pinched the PCI graphics card (S3 Virge 2mb) and here I am on 1600x1200@256 colors.
                    All I can do is wait until I am ready for another motherboard upgrade and make sure the agp slot is better built next time.

Comment

• Menno
                      • Apr 2000

The use of websave colors depends on the audience you target. My site is for the art/graphics community, so none of my visitors need websafe colors.

ArtBeast!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...